WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Reloading 38 S&W with lyman 310 tong tool

Boolit Bub

Reloading 38 S&W with lyman 310 tong tool

Hello again,
    I have a set of 310 tools and dies for the 38 special, but I also shoot 38 s&w in some older webleys. The webleys actually shoot a .360 sized bullet. What combination of dies can be used to properly load the 38/200 or 38 s&w rounds using the 310 tool? Did lyman ever make dies for the 38 s&w?
    Thanks,
    taylorh

Yes, Lyman did make 310 38 S&W dies, I have a set. That said, the dies were the same as the 38 Special except being shorter. No difference in neck expansion size (.358) or neck sizing. Before I found them, I shortened some orphan 38 Special die bodies with the lathe and they were just the same as the S&W dies. The die bodies are butter soft and easy to trim back.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Taylorh, CharGar hit it on the Lyman/Ideal die situation, unfortunately! Some genius @ Lyman back in the day in the bowels of Lyman’s R&D Dept decided that since the American versions of 38 S&W (notably the S&W made British Service Revolver) had a sort of tight bore diameter even though the British 38-200 round it was “designed for” took the bigger bullet, the .360” X 200 gr. If you are going to load faithfully sized bullets for best accuracy in your British made guns, for instance, you may need a custom made (or at least modified) expander plug. Maybe you could turn a plug from a 375 expander (38-55, etc) down to what you need. I don’t know whether the guy at the 310 Shop or maybe our own Brass Magnet could help you on this.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cylinder throats on most .38 S&W revolvers I have measured pin .362 -.363 while barrel groove diameters.on S&W Victory, Regulation Police and Terrier run .359-.360". Colt Police Positive of 1920s manufacture .358 cylinder throats with .355 groove.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Is there no .360 expanding plug?

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time or another Lyman probably made one, but it’s not something you’ll run into often. Apparently they figure a .358” plug would work OK. If you really need a specific size, such as that .360” you mentioned, I’m guessing the most straightforward way to get it would be to turn down a somewhat larger one to the size you need. You can actually probably do it with an electric drill to turn the die and a file to cut it down. Finish with emery paper.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Is there no .360 expanding plug?
    RCBS Cowboy die set for .38 S&W has true .358 expander plug which is correct for a .360 bullet. If you want to load .362 bullets a Lee 9x18 Makarov die set will work, but you will still want a .38 S&W roll crimp seater. Accurate has a variety of molds for. 38 S&W in various weights, and NOE offers a .363" diameter clone of the .380-200 British Mk1 service bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.