MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Shotshell pressure testing in the US?

Boolit Buddy

Shotshell pressure testing in the US?

I have one or two 12ga reloads here that I would like to get pressure tested.

Who does pressure testing in the US?

• Has anybody gotten their loads pressure tested?
    • If yes, with who? And what was your experience?
    • Around how much did it cost?
    • How long did it take?

Any info you have would be appreciated .....

Boolit Grand Master

Both these places offer pressure testing. I have not used either so no personal experience. I have been told and have read that Tom Armbrust provides good service.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/

https://www.precisionreloading.com/v...?pg=shot_proof

Longbow

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I believe Larry Gibson here does some pressure testing also .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

faustus,
    As you are in Canada, I'm not sure you can ship ammo to the U.S., best to check the regs before it causes a problem.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

centershot brings up a good point. We can import reloading components but due to Homeland Security regs we as non US citizens cannot be in possession of those components or ammunition in the States.

Not sure about shipping and since primers and powder are "explosive" ammunition may not be legal to ship or at least without HAZMAT fees and papers.

Blood Trail has a Pressure Trace II system set up for shotgun. You might work a deal with him so he loads and tests and you compensate him for powder, lead, time.

You can legally ship slugs and balls to him. Americans cannot legally ship any reloading components out of the US unless they have an FFL but that doesn't matter in this case as you ship to him.

I've shipped slugs and balls to Leon for testing in the past. He loaded up and posted results with pressures.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    I will add that I just recently had a couple loads tested at precision reloading.
    It is $40 for 1 load, or $25 per load if it is two loads or more. I sent two different loads (6 rounds of each load per their instruction).
    I got the results via email within a week of them receiving the package. Very happy. Found out one load was well within the safe range, while the other is right at the limit.
    I am planning on sending a couple more loads in a few weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    Centershot, Longbow .... yes I am in Canada .... and bringing loaded shells across the boarder is a no go! I am aware of this ....

However a friend of mine down south has basically the same reloading setup as me .... and access to the same components .... so I am counting on him to help me to assemble the loads that I need to get tested ....

I will have to drive down there and convince him with a couple of beers ... and to let me use his reloading equipment ..... lol
    Last edited by faustus; 12-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Any other places that do shotshell pressure testing?
    Last edited by faustus; 12-23-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just out of curiosity, what load are you testing? Maybe someone has something similar that's already tested or shot with no problem.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what load are you testing? Maybe someone has something similar that's already tested or shot with no problem.
    I am working on a subsonic quiet 12ga TSS load.

I am looking for a very quiet 12ga load that I can use for upland hunting .... and shooting the occasional duck/goose.

Think about a load that does not really sound like a gun shot.
    More like somebody slammed the door of a truck.

It is hard to find data for that sort of load.
    And I am realizing more and more that this is right at the edge of what 12ga hulls and wads were designed for ..... and what they are capable off ....

Anyhow, I haven't figured it all out.... but the problem I am running in to .... is that these small amounts of powder .... do not generate enough pressure. So, I am applying all the little tricks I know in order to raise pressure .... and to burn that small amount of powder as fast and efficiently as possible .... But then I don't know ... how much margin I have left to max pressure. That is where I need pressure testing ....

We are talking about 5 to 10 grains of a very fast burning powder like Titewad ... with a 1 1/8 oz to 1 1/2 oz of payload ... and with very low velocities .... and with TSS ...

And yes, this is an expensive little project .... but fun ...
    Last edited by faustus; 12-25-2021 at 03:06 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you haven't seem it this might help:

https://www.metrogun.com/handloads.html

Also, the Green Dot load at the bottom might be useful:

https://slugsrus.com/notes.html

and more:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Subsonic-Loads

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mo...ctinfo/00BSUB/

Merry Christmas!

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 12-25-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added links

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Longbow, much appreciated ... yes, I am aware of those loads. However, I am trying to go "quieter" .... than those loads ....

Think about a snub nose revolver that only has 1.5 inches to accelerate the payload. And the rest of the 30inch shotgun barrel then acts as a sort of a silencer. A sort of a Metrogun ... without needing the long extension.

I will see if it is possible ....

Merry Christmas!

Boolit Grand Master

Okay, gotcha!

That Slugs R Us Green Dot load may be useful.

I kinda wondered about the Metrogun load data with slow powders, might need the added barrel length to burn it?

I may have some more subsonic load data. I'll dig around tomorrow.

I am pretty sure I have some light load data using Bullseye which is fast but that may be light payload. I'll post anything I find that may be useful.

Merry Christmas!

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 12-25-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling