Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Some Health Benefits Of Coffee

Vendor Sponsor

Some Health Benefits Of Coffee

This isn't a recipe for cooking, but it MIGHT be a recipe for better health!!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...fits-of-coffee

13 Health Benefits of Coffee, Based on Science

Coffee is one of the world’s most popular beverages. Thanks to its high levels of antioxidants and beneficial nutrients, it also seems to be quite healthy. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of several serious diseases.

Here are the top 13 health benefits of coffee.

1. Can Improve Energy Levels and Reaction Times

Coffee can help people feel less tired and increase energy levels. That’s because it contains a stimulant called caffeine — the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world. After you drink coffee, the caffeine is absorbed into your bloodstream. From there, it travels to your brain. In the brain, caffeine blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine. When this happens, the amount of other neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and dopamine increases, leading to enhanced firing of neurons. Many controlled studies in humans show that coffee improves various aspects of brain function — including memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times and general mental function.

Summary: Caffeine blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain, which causes a stimulant effect. This improves energy levels, mood and various aspects of brain function.

2. Can Help You Burn Fat

Caffeine is found in almost every commercial fat-burning supplement — and for good reason. It’s one of the few natural substances proven to aid fat burning. Several studies show that caffeine can boost your metabolic rate by 3–11%. Other studies indicate that caffeine can specifically increase fat burning by as much as 10% in obese individuals and 29% in lean people. However, it’s possible that these effects diminish in long-term coffee drinkers.

Summary: Several studies show that caffeine can increase fat burning and boost your metabolic rate.

3. Can Drastically Improve Physical Performance

Caffeine stimulates your nervous system, signaling fat cells to break down body fat. But it also increases epinephrine (adrenaline) levels in your blood. This is the fight-or-flight hormone, which prepares your body for intense physical exertion. Caffeine breaks down body fat, making free fatty acids available as fuel. Given these effects, it’s unsurprising that caffeine can improve physical performance by 11–12%, on average. Therefore, it makes sense to have a strong cup of coffee about half an hour before you head to the gym.

Summary: Caffeine can increase adrenaline levels and release fatty acids from your fat tissues. It also leads to significant improvements in physical performance.

4. Contains Essential Nutrients

Many of the nutrients in coffee beans make their way into the finished brewed coffee. A single cup of coffee contains:

Riboflavin (vitamin B2): 11% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI).
    Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5): 6% of the RDI.
    Manganese and potassium: 3% of the RDI.
    Magnesium and niacin (vitamin B3): 2% of the RDI.

Though this may not seem like a big deal, most people enjoy several cups per day — allowing these amounts to quickly add up.

ummary: Coffee contains several important nutrients, including riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, potassium, magnesium and niacin.

5. May Lower Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 diabetes is a major health problem, currently affecting millions of people worldwide. It’s characterized by elevated blood sugar levels caused by insulin resistance or a reduced ability to secrete insulin. For some reason, coffee drinkers have a significantly reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies observe that people who drink the most coffee have a 23–50% lower risk of getting this disease. One study showed a reduction as high as 67%. According to a large review of 18 studies in a total of 457,922 people, each daily cup of coffee was associated with a 7% reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.

Summary: Several observational studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of type 2 diabetes, a serious condition that affects millions of people worldwide.

6. May Protect You From Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia

Alzheimer’s disease is the most common neurodegenerative disease and the leading cause of dementia worldwide. This condition usually affects people over 65, and there is no known cure. However, there are several things you can do to prevent the disease from occurring in the first place. This includes the usual suspects like eating healthy and exercising, but drinking coffee may be incredibly effective as well. Several studies show that coffee drinkers have up to a 65% lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

Summary: Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease, which is a leading cause of dementia worldwide.

7. May Lower Your Risk of Parkinson’s

Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurodegenerative condition, right behind Alzheimer’s. It’s caused by the death of dopamine-generating neurons in your brain. As with Alzheimer’s, there is no known cure, which makes it that much more important to focus on prevention. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of Parkinson’s disease, with a risk reduction ranging from 32–60%. In this case, the caffeine itself appears to be beneficial, as people who drink decaf don’t have a lower risk of Parkinson’s.

Summary: Coffee drinkers have up to a 60% lower risk of getting Parkinson’s disease, the second most common neurodegenerative disorder.

8. May Protect Your Liver

Your liver is an amazing organ that carries out hundreds of important functions. Several common diseases primarily affect the liver, including hepatitis, fatty liver disease and many others. Many of these conditions can lead to cirrhosis, in which your liver is largely replaced by scar tissue. Interestingly, coffee may protect against cirrhosis — people who drink 4 or more cups per day have up to an 80% lower risk.

Summary: Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of cirrhosis, which can be caused by several diseases that affect the liver.

9. Can Fight Depression

Depression is a serious mental disorder that causes a significantly reduced quality of life. It’s very common, as about 4.1% of people in the US currently meet the criteria for clinical depression. In a Harvard study published in 2011, women who drank 4 or more cups of coffee per day had a 20% lower risk of becoming depressed. Another study in 208,424 individuals found that those who drank 4 or more cups per day were 53% less likely to die by suicide.

Summary: Coffee appears to lower your risk of developing depression and may dramatically reduce suicide risk.

10. May Lower Risk of Certain Types of Cancer

Cancer is one of the world’s leading causes of death. It is characterized by uncontrolled cell growth in your body. Coffee appears to be protective against two types of cancer: liver and colorectal cancer. Liver cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in the world, while colorectal cancer ranks fourth. Studies show that coffee drinkers have up to a 40% lower risk of liver cancer. Similarly, one study in 489,706 people found that those who drank 4–5 cups of coffee per day had a 15% lower risk of colorectal cancer.

Summary: Liver and colorectal cancer are the third and fourth leading causes of cancer death worldwide. Coffee drinkers have a lower risk of both.

11. Doesn’t Cause Heart Disease and May Lower Stroke Risk

It’s often claimed that caffeine can increase your blood pressure. This is true, but with a rise of only 3–4 mm/Hg, the effect is small and usually dissipates if you drink coffee regularly. However, it may persist in some people, so keep that in mind if you have elevated blood pressure. That being said, studies don’t support the idea that coffee raises your risk of heart disease. On the contrary, there is some evidence that women who drink coffee have a reduced risk. Some studies also show that coffee drinkers have a 20% lower risk of stroke.

Summary: Coffee may cause mild increases in blood pressure, which usually diminish over time. Coffee drinkers do not have an increased risk of heart disease and have a slightly lower risk of stroke.

12. May Help You Live Longer

Given that coffee drinkers are less likely to get many diseases, it makes sense that coffee could help you live longer. Several observational studies indicate that coffee drinkers have a lower risk of death. In two very large studies, drinking coffee was associated with a 20% reduced risk of death in men and a 26% decreased risk of death in women, over 18–24 years. This effect appears particularly strong in people with type 2 diabetes. In one 20-year study, individuals with diabetes who drank coffee had a 30% lower risk of death.

Summary: Several studies show that coffee drinkers live longer and have a lower risk of premature death.

13. The Biggest Source of Antioxidants in the Western Diet

For people who eat a standard Western diet, coffee may be one of the healthiest aspects of their diet. That’s because coffee is quite high in antioxidants. Studies show that many people get more antioxidants from coffee than from fruits and vegetables combined. In fact, coffee may be one of the healthiest beverages on the planet.

Summary: Coffee is rich in powerful antioxidants, and many people get more antioxidants from coffee than from fruits and veggies combined.

The Bottom Line

Coffee is a highly popular beverage around the globe that boasts a number of impressive health benefits. Not only can your daily cup of joe help you feel more energized, burn fat and improve physical performance, it may also lower your risk of several conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. In fact, coffee may even boost longevity.

If you enjoy its taste and tolerate its caffeine content, don’t hesitate to pour yourself a cup or more throughout the day.

__________________________________________________ ____________

What is caffeinol - and how does it work?

It sounds like a partygoer's dream: a chemical combination of caffeine and alcohol. But this is no recreational drug - scientists in Texas believe this medicinal version of Irish coffee could be used to treat the effects of strokes.

Strokes happen in one of two ways: a clot forms in an artery in the brain, killing brain cells by starving them of oxygen; or a vessel bursts in the brain, interrupting circulation, with the haem-orrhage damaging delicate brain cells.

Researchers at the University of Texas Medical School are using caffeinol to treat the first type of stroke, which accounts for 86% of all strokes.

Researchers found that brain damage in rats was reduced by up to 80% if caffeinol was given within three hours of a stroke.

But how it works is a mystery. "Normally, alcohol relaxes arteries," Konrad Jamrozik, professor of primary care epidemiology at Imperial College London, says. "Caffeine can sometimes constrict arteries, so that seems a bit paradoxical."

These questions will be answered once the drug goes through clinical trials. So far, 23 stroke patients have been treated with the drug but Jamrozik says a proper trial needs to test a far greater number.

About a quarter of people who suffer a stroke die in the first month. To reliably detect a reduction of 10% in this death rate, around 13,000 patients would need to be studied.

But the research is promising for a field that has stalled in recent years. "We are struggling to find a way of limiting the damage once the stroke occurs," Jamrozik says. "[Clot-busting drugs] made an important advance in the 1980s and are now used worldwide. We have not seen the same leap forward for strokes."
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Why do some prefer cream & sugar, and others prefer only black coffee? Researchers say the answer is in your DNA! How fast a person metabolizes caffeine generally determines how you like to drink your coffee. Those who metabolize caffeine rapidly like it strong and black, as this gets the jolt into their system as fast as possible. Others don't like that immediate lift you get when caffeine hits the blood stream, so they slow down the absorption of caffeine with cream and sugar.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

This is a good thread for me to mention my favorite sweetener for coffee, and other stuff. -- powdered stevia.

I've been getting the stuff off Ebay, and it comes in white powdered form, I think 8 oz. for around twenty bucks. It is POWERFUL!!
    To give ya an idea of its sweetening power, I use about 1 grain by weight for a cup of coffee. Two or three grains for a bowl of cereal.

I'm a serious coffee drinker, or perhaps addict, and start my day with around 3/4 of the pot on my Mr. Coffee. Takes me till about 10 AM to drink that amount, and then I'm done till the next day. I drink the cheap stuff, and always have three or four extra cans of Folgers in the "Apocalypse Pantry".

I'm quite happy to hear of health benefits that come from coffee. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Why do some prefer cream & sugar, and others prefer only black coffee? Researchers say the answer is in your DNA! How fast a person metabolizes caffeine generally determines how you like to drink your coffee. Those who metabolize caffeine rapidly like it strong and black, as this gets the jolt into their system as fast as possible. Others don't like that immediate lift you get when caffeine hits the blood stream, so they slow down the absorption of caffeine with cream and sugar.
    That is the only scientific distinction I have ever heard about black v creamed preferences. My morning coffee is about 13 ounces and, with an ounce of heavy cream, it takes an hour to finish it. But, I'm retired. The anti-fat crusaders are losing the war, but it's still a good idea to stay away from added sugar.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    The anti-fat crusaders are losing the war, but it's still a good idea to stay away from added sugar.
    I switched out the white sugar in the kitchen for Erythritol. It is a granulated sweetener just like sugar, tastes like sugar, has 6% of the calories sugar has. I actually dropped a few pounds from just doing this. 6'0" and most days 175ish on the scale. I like it.

Also started mixing store bought coffee creamer 50/50 with cashew milk. Drops my coffee calories by 50%. I tried to clone the coffee creamer once, don't bother, none of the clones are as good as the real deal.

Boolit Grand Master

You mean that something I do is actually good for me ... why , just a few years ago it was bad for me .
    Community Coffe Dark Roast ... now it's OK to have coffee with my breakfast eggs and grits !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Love that morning coffee! Have always preferred it black.

So, I guess there's a long list of things that are good for us and beneficial to our health.

Two more that come to mind are (1) red wine. Supposedly the incident of heart attacks are much lower in European countries where red wine is consumed with mid-day and evening meals. The same claim is not made for white wine. And, look at it this way, if red wine doesn't prevent heart attacks it was fun trying! I try every evening. Hey...don't burst my bubble here, I'll be 80 next year!

(2) The same is said to be true of the consumption of hot chili peppers. This is sort of an odd one, but i recall reading about 30 years ago that there is something in them related to anesthetic that is good for the heart. Having lived in East L.A. for awhile where there were taco stands on numerous street corners, there was always a large crock of chili peppers on the counters, help yourself with the purchase of your taco or burrito, etc. One develops a taste for them, and I almost always eat one or two with a sandwich to spice things up.

DG

Boolit Master
    I switched to half and half a couple years ago. A diabetic co-worker told me that the dry creamer was a calorie blast from the infernal region. The label has what seems like good news, but it's made of corn syrup solids and he said it makes his blood sugar take off like a rocket. He said he gets much less effect from half and half. Suits me.

Boolit Grand Master

and over 30 years of research on alcohol - sorry, most of the research was not specific enough to look at various kinds, show that for a male two drinks a day and for a female one drink a day does reduce heart attack and stroke. It is highly dosage related, though. The more you increase your drinking the more you increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.

Btw - one drink is defined as: a six-ounce glass of wine, a twelve ounce beer, or one 80proof mixed drink (single shot). All contain between 1/2 and 3/4 oz of alcohol. For what it's worth your liver can metabolize between 1/2 and 3/4 oz of alcohol in an hour. This means that if you slow down your drinking to one an hour you will never have a significant blood alcohol level.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I enjoy all the 'NEW" discoveries of the health benefits of coffee. Started drinking black coffee in 1963, it was not a health food then. Been running a pot plus a day since the seventies, I'll even wake, have a cup at 2-3AM then go back to sleep. I HAVE been very healthy for the my entire life, at least since I've been drinking COFFEE!

Boolit Master

I drank it black in my Army days because you could not always count having condiments (LOL). Then I started using half&half and sugar. One heart attack later I am off of the half&half and back to black.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    I switched to half and half a couple years ago. A diabetic co-worker told me that the dry creamer was a calorie blast.
    Palm Oil is a major ingredient of powdered creamers, bad for waistband and the heart.
    We don’t use regular milk so never buy it. The wife likes almond milk because it’s healthy but used powdered creamer in coffee. Go figure. If my coffee isn’t black it’s because some Bailey’s Irish accidentally spilled in it.

I don’t know about all the benefits in this list, did not actually read it all yet but I do know that my morning coffee saves a lot of lives….
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    I don’t know about all the benefits in this list, did not actually read it all yet but I do know that my morning coffee saves a lot of lives….
    Likewise here. LOL

Coffee saves lives! Everyone else's, that is.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Finland is one of record countries in coffee consumption. Everyone drinks coffee everywhere all the time. I don't know why.

Caffeine makes my shooting worse.

I verified this when I practised 75 m moving moose target regularly, 2-3 times a week for a few summers in a row.

Months with no coffee showed better scores than coffee drinking months. Like 85 or 75 / ten shots.

I may be more sensitive to caffeine than average, I don't specifically enjoy my feeling after a mug of coffee. Nervous, feeling like getting an instant hangover is the best description. A little more and I loose sleep.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coffee.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	293802

Thanks to Santa!
    Last edited by Finster101; 12-29-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Back in the military, I came to the realization that coffee, specifically caffeine, was a total zero in keeping me awake. There was a short time when having people on at-home standby that Job Control could call for problems on the aircraft was traded for a graveyard shift of one guy physically in the shop to be summoned by Job Control, should there be a need. Said victim could not indulge in working on something to help keep his wits about him because if JC called him to an aircraft, he had to go immediately. When said victim was me, I quaffed many mugs of ready room coffee per shift just to remain in motion and the caffeine never had any effect except for my handwriting which got pretty spastic. These days, I drink it for the enjoyment, particularly the flavored varieties, or mixing in some dark cocoa and cinnamon. Any other benefits are welcome, along with a danish or something.

Vendor Sponsor

More good news!

More evidence of health benefits in cup(s) of joe
    By Marge Dwyer HSPH Communications
    DateMay 17, 2011

Men who regularly drink coffee appear to have a lower risk of developing a lethal form of prostate cancer, according to a new study led by Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) researchers. The lower risk was evident among men who drank regular or decaffeinated coffee.

The study was published May 17 in an online edition of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

“Few studies have specifically studied the association of coffee intake and the risk of lethal prostate cancer, the form of the disease that is the most critical to prevent. Our study is the largest to date to examine whether coffee could lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer,” said senior author Lorelei Mucci, associate professor of epidemiology at HSPH.

Lethal prostate cancer is cancer that causes death or spreads to the bones. Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death among U.S. men, affecting one in six men during their lifetime. More than 2 million men in the United States and 16 million men worldwide are prostate cancer survivors.

“At present we lack an understanding of risk factors that can be changed or controlled to lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer. If our findings are validated, coffee could represent one modifiable factor that may lower the risk of developing the most harmful form of prostate cancer,” said lead author Kathryn Wilson, a research fellow in epidemiology at HSPH.

The researchers chose to study coffee because it contains many beneficial compounds that act as antioxidants, reduce inflammation, and regulate insulin, all of which may influence prostate cancer. Coffee has been associated in prior studies with a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes, gallstone disease, and liver cancer.

The study examined the association between coffee consumption and the risk of prostate cancer, particularly the risk for aggressive prostate cancer, among 47,911 U.S. men in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study who reported their coffee consumption every four years from 1986 to 2008. During the study period, 5,035 cases of prostate cancer were reported, including 642 fatal or metastatic cases.

Among the findings:

Men who consumed the most coffee (six or more cups daily) had nearly a 20 percent lower risk of developing any form of prostate cancer.

The inverse association with coffee was even stronger for aggressive prostate cancer. Men who drank the most coffee had a 60 percent lower risk of developing lethal prostate cancer.

The reduction in risk was seen whether the men drank decaffeinated or regular coffee, and does not appear to be due to caffeine.

Drinking one to three cups of coffee per day was associated with a 30 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer.

Coffee drinkers were more likely to smoke and less likely to exercise, behaviors that may increase advanced prostate cancer risk. These and other lifestyle factors were controlled for in the study.

The results need to be validated in additional populations that have a range of coffee exposure and a large number of lethal prostate cancer cases. If confirmed, the data would add to the list of other potential health benefits of coffee. The authors are planning additional studies to understand specific mechanisms by which coffee may lower the risk of lethal prostate cancer.

Other HSPH researchers who participated in the study: Edward Giovannucci and Meir Stampfer, professors of nutrition and epidemiology; Julie L. Kasperzyk, postdoctoral research fellow; Stacey Kenfield, research associate; Jennifer Stark, research fellow; and Rob van Dam, adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Nutrition.

The study was supported by the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health, the American Institute for Cancer Research, and the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...BOgO7hiwy3gg2U

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	293866

Boolit Master
    Last year SHMBO and I did the Daniel fast for Lent.
    No coffee?
    After a week, the Jones went away and the Fog set in.
    Forty days without coffee is a humbling exercise, a hard lesson learned.
    I learned I can live without a lot of things, but Kevalia is needful.
    I think Daniel would have cheerfully drank a cup of kosher coffee.