RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The pendulum swings. What’s after 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    The .32 ACP, .380 ACP, and 9 mm P-'08, and .45 ACP have held up well these last 114 to 122 or so Years.

As has .38 Special these last 124 years...
    Over those years, the average height has increased, and the average weight has nearly doubled. These calibers may no longer have the necessary stopping power. They do kill but not nearly as effective as when they had been developed.

All personal likes/dislikes aside, they're probably going to stay with a 9mm size handgun, regardless of actual caliber or cartridge. Who knows, it might be the .22 TCM or something similar.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Over those years, the average height has increased, and the average weight has nearly doubled. These calibers may no longer have the necessary stopping power. They do kill but not nearly as effective as when they had been developed.
    So the 9 and 45 (let alone the others) no longer have the necessary stopping power???? Not nearly as effective?????? Um.....OK

Boolit Master
    Yeah, but how much of that extra weight is extra fat? A 175# bricklayer is a more formidable opponent than 250# video game player. I'd wager the current ammo selection does a better job stopping people compared to the ammo selection and population 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    So the 9 and 45 (let alone the others) no longer have the necessary stopping power???? Not nearly as effective?????? Um.....OK
    32acp, 380acp and 38spcl had been sufficient 100 years ago. Now, they are barely adequate against a 250lb opponent on meth.

Boolit Master
    32acp, 380acp and 38spcl had been sufficient 100 years ago. Now, they are barely adequate against a 250lb opponent on meth.
    To be fair, even 44mag is barely adequate in that application if your criteria is an immediate stop. Those cartridges are still very capable in most circumstances.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

They are just as adequate, it's just that someone on a drug like meth or PCP doesn't feel things the same way. I'd argue a 32 acp is going to be MORE effective against such a person than a 500 S&W magnum. The only surefire way to stop them is a spine or head/neck hit. That's why a shotgun and #2 buck sits next to my bed, not a handgun.

Yes, the average size of people has increased and there are things like drugs in their system to consider.

By the same token, ammunition that is currently available is far better than it was back then also. The new hollow points are a far superior round than the old lead or full metal jacket bullets these guns were originally fed.
    I think the better preforming ammunition has kept them just as capable as they were way back when.

"...have held up well" was in reference to their continuous popularity since their initial debut.

I was not making any claims or comparisons about "Stopping Power".

Boolit Grand Master
    Stay away from the Golden Corral, I see a lot of huge people going in those places.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Stay away from the Golden Corral, I see a lot of huge people going in those places.
    Truer words never spoken.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

One nice consequence of the initial shift to 9 mm semi autos for police departments, and among the general public, is that it put a lot of really nice Smith and Wesson revolvers into the used market at very good prices. I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 27 (5 inch!), a Model 66, and a Model 686, for about $250 apiece in the early 90s.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456