WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 120 Grain Lead Bullet for SKS?

120 Grain Lead Bullet for SKS?

Would this be a nice Bullet for the SKS Rifle?

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...roducts_id=295

I have not loaded for the 7.62 x 39 Cartridge before, and am interested in giving it a try, and wishing to use Lead Bullets.

Would we expect .312 to likely be alright? I am sure Chambers can vary, and I have not checked mine yet to see nor do I have any way to do so, other than to make up a Dummy Round once I have some kind of .312 Bullet to do so with.

If anyone has any pet Loads for this Weight FMJ Bullet, for staying within standard pressure and FPS for 'around' this weight, please feel free to share them!

Also, any guidance as for who's dies to get? Or who's to avoid?

Thanks!

I'm using a 190gn boolit pushed with 21.5gn of 3031 in my Norinco JW105 (copy of Mod 70 Win). 1:10" twist and chrome lined bore, it shoots very well.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest the 125 gr GC''d bullet at that site. Most of us use heavy for cartridge bullets to keep the velocity under 2000 fps (because SKSs have 10" twist barrels) and maintain function reliability. However, SKSs are "over gassed" so to speak so I suggest trying 4227. Start at 16.5 gr and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 20 gr. Probably the best accuracy will be at the load giving 100% reliable functioning.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Oyeboten,

My best SKS cast is the 130 grain Lyman #311410 boolit sized .311 loaded with IMR4198.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I've run some 120-130 gr. cast thru a commercial Chinese SKS with 2400 and no problems. I started low, cases not fully ejecting and getting buggered up by the bolt closing. I think things started working at 15 grains, YMMV.

Had issues with a Russian one that tended to double with Win primers, so a heavy cup like CCI 34's may help in that scenario.

Boolit Buddy
    We have used the RCBS 130-SP for eons with excellent results. Cast it hard, and now that I powder coat, have alleviated the lup part, but still gas check it.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/309-7-62...-rcb82022.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Suggest the 125 gr GC''d bullet at that site. Most of us use heavy for cartridge bullets to keep the velocity under 2000 fps (because SKSs have 10" twist barrels) and maintain function reliability. However, SKSs are "over gassed" so to speak so I suggest trying 4227. Start at 16.5 gr and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 20 gr. Probably the best accuracy will be at the load giving 100% reliable functioning.

As this will be my first foray in to Rifle Loading, please help me understand the relation of Twist Rate, and, optimum choice of Bullet or Boolit?

Having been only Loading for Handgun, I am embarrassed to say, I never though about Rifling Twist Rate.

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    We have used the RCBS 130-SP for eons with excellent results. Cast it hard, and now that I powder coat, have alleviated the lup part, but still gas check it.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/309-7-62...-rcb82022.html
    Thank you La5676!

Sadly, they are "Out of Stock" at the moment...but I submitted my email to be notified when the Mold is in Stock again.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yeahh, whew! - there are a lot more variables with this Bullet wise, than with Revolver or Semi Auto Pistol. Not that they do not have their own several important things to work together, but, this is worse, Lol...

This will be a good learning experience...

All the functions need to harmonize with this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    As this will be my first foray in to Rifle Loading, please help me understand the relation of Twist Rate, and, optimum choice of Bullet or Boolit?

Having been only Loading for Handgun, I am embarrassed to say, I never though about Rifling Twist Rate.
    Rifling twist rate is important in pistols also, but we have to pay more attention to it in rifles with cast bullets. Here's a good article:
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifling_twist_rate.htm

Banned
    The 160 harris bullet is what your looking for

Slug bore possibly no weapon more inconsistent dimensions than sks. Most use 311-313

Yes to the Harris 160gr. CB and slugging your bore, but a bit doubtful about 4227: IMR 4198, Alliant 2400, or RL-7 are better choices. As for bore dimensions of the Type 56 SKS, I've owned two. The first needed a .314" CB, while the present one needs .316" - .3165". "Swede" Nelson of NOE cut a mould of the Harris design (~165gr.) several years ago and I couldn't be happier with it: Casts well and [as issued] rifle is very accurate with it.