Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Mauser Question maybe dumb!

Mauser Question maybe dumb!

Can a small ring mauser trigger guard assembly be put on a 1891 mauser to get rid of the mag. that hangs down?
    Would it give feeding problems.
    Also does anyone make a trigger with the safety to replace the military trigger?

Boolit Master
    timney and Bold make adjustable triggers with safetys. the trigger guard would be a major undertaking. I don't know the hole spacing, but the tangs can be lengthnd or shortend, but the 91 feeds from a stripper clip, the 93 from a staggered box. There are shoulders inside the rails to guide the case out from under the lip. The 91 I dont think has as wide a space between the rails. possibly the rails could be milled out to the 93 configuation. A lot of work, if you are not capable of doing it yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    As flounderman says, possible (I've thought of it myself) but lordy, you'd be looking at lots of challenges. Unless you have a jones for it and a mill, a tig or oxy setup, I'd pass. Likely the trigger boss would be an issue. Having said that, I've had lots and lots of joneses. Too many, actually, and I'm still puzzling some of them...

Boolit Master
    On the single stack Mosin Nagants,
    I cut the magazine off flush with the bottom of the stock and made a new floor plate that ran the length of the trigger guard set up.
    I then made a trigger guard that was welded to the new flatter floor plate bottom metal.
    It reduced the magazine to three rounds.
    But that was fine for a hunting / target rifle.
    Maybe there is something like that , that you can make to eliminate the magazine hanging down below the stock.

Banned
    https://www.huberconcepts.com/produc...mauser-trigger

i have not used them, although i like the original 2 stage trigger. i also like the 91 argie magazine, but i like different.

Boolit Master
    Bill: Your actually better off with the single stack 1891 magazine. Single stack mags are not as sensitive to the feed rails for proper feeding as double stack mags are. I've smithed around with adapting detachable magazines on Mausers and the single stack variety is much more reliable than the double stacks. Another way to look at that is that the single stack magazine on a Mosin will effortlessly feed even a rimmed cartridge. The magazine on a 91 Argy was designed to work with that rifle, and would be probably the best and most reliable choice for that action. With enough work you can adapt a small ring trigger guard to that receiver, but then what are you going to do about the feed rails? You could make up fixtures to hold the receiver in a milling machine and machine in new feed rails (like was done to convert M1917 & P1914 receivers to large cartridges like 416 Rigby or 505 Gibbs) But this would be both difficult and not very economical. The machining and craftsmanship on the 91 Argentine rifles was usually top notch, so I would suggest retaining the original magazine.

As for the trigger, Huber is the only one that I've heard of that makes an after-market trigger for the 1891. Those triggers cost $105, and looking at their design I bet you could do a lot better for a lot less. One of the guys that has already responded to your thread, LAGS, came up with a solution to your trigger problem a couple of years ago. I suggest you send a pm to LAGS and ask him about a single stage ball trigger. It's easy to make with basic shop tools, and is a real improvement over the standard Mauser trigger.