4 57.14%
  • 6 Digit

2 28.57%
  • Save your money

1 14.29%

Thread: Which mould to buy?

Boolit Master

Which mould to buy?

I have an opportunity to buy either one of 2 available Lyman moulds with handles (can’t buy both unfortunately). Both moulds produce the same wadcutter bullet, one is marked 35863 (#7) indicating an older mould and the other is marked 358063 (#6) making it a “newer” construction mould. Other than the pix I have no additional info from the seller so it’s a crap shoot as to what either mould cast to or cavity condition though they appear to have been stored well. I have read a few posts on the mould and see discussions on application (Mdl-52) though I will be mainly shooting them thru a S&W Mdl 10 and 64.

Given the choices what would be your vote the older 5 digit or the newer 6 digit?

This is more of a target of opportunity vice a need, I already have a couple of WC moulds on the shelf already- 2 cav HG #50, a lee Soupcan 148g, 4 Cav 358495 and a 2 cav 358432, so I don’t really “need” this one…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moulds.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	293469

Boolit Master
    I have a 358063 4 hole <had to go look> I bought not long ago and it drops boolits about perfect. It replaced a 35863 2 cavity I am going to let go. A good one is hard to find at a good price. No trouble benching under 1 1/2'' with 10 shots at 25 yards with my long barrel 19-3. I like my H&G button nose 148 a tad better. Lyman handles are hard to come by. I have to make Lee work. On a side note- I turn the mold so the sprue plate is on the far side-works better for me and no chance of hitting the handles. Also it's easier to pick up one piece of lead from the sprue plate instead of 4. <IT'S CHRISTMAS--GIT BOTH> One will drop boolits easier or the boolits may look better and then sell the other.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-22-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would get a 5 cav because that is what Accurate molds offer.

Boolit Master

I have found that the older molds are usually better than the newer ones.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Since not a particular mold you need, I think price should pay a big part in your decision. If it’s not a great deal, I’d say pass on it and save your money. However, I’m often not a good example of that.

metric,
    Unless I was confident in what the seller had to say I'd want to look at good quality close up photos of sample castings before laying out the money for a four cavity.

Boolit Grand Master

It's like buying a car from one photo of the exterior ...
    What matters is what's under the hood ... and he wont let you look .

You buying a Pig in a Poke .
    Know what my Daddy said about buying a Pig in a Poke ... Don't !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I would ask for more pictures, at least a shot of the mold open to check the state of the cavities. Then I would decide which I preferred, if either.
    However, I have a five digit mold that casts excellent boolits and I would be sorely tempted to buy one of these if I did not, they are very accurate.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

I would go by price or much better pictures of the cavities. I like the DE WC that the 63 is but find the best need for it is for the S&W model 52 auto-loader in 38 special. I find a very slight accuracy edge for me with a button nose wc after reading that Col Harrison found the same. I also see more accuracy issues by over lubing than by limiting the lube to one groove only, especially with today's lubes.
    Get either if you really need a 4 cavity. I would ask to have the bullets removed and pics of the cavities if it were me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I saw some molds from an estate at the lgs that were filled with lead like those. Must have been a thing to leave them filled like that.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"