Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Help with H&G Mold selection

Boolit Bub

Help with H&G Mold selection

I have an opportunity to pick up these molds with handles. I am just getting started casting and do not know if these are fairly priced. I didn't get these molds today....but I might.

Are these priced right for what they are?

Hensley & Gibbs 8 Cavity 45 ACP Round Nose #34.451 $300
    Hensley & Gibbs 6 Cavity 45 Long Colt Round Nose Flat Point Loose Handle #22.454 $275
    Lyman 1 Cavity 45-70 Gov't. Round Nose 475 Grain #457406 A $65
    Hensley & Gibbs 6 Cavity 41 S&W Magnum Semi-Wadcutter #261-410 $250
    Hensley & Gibbs 6 Cavity 30 Carbine Round Nose #113.311 $200

I did buy this one.....Could not resist a Keith Original, hope I did ok.

Hensley & Gibbs 6 Cavity 45 Long Colt Semi-Wadcutter #501.454 (Taped Handle) $225

And these....

NEI Flat Point 4 Cavity 45-70 Gov't. Flat Point #458440 OGC $100
    Lyman 2 Cavity 45 Long Colt Flat Point 350 Grain #452651 AV $100

Again, not sure if I did ok....or paid a premium for these molds that are no longer in production.

Thanks in advance, and a bit of a noob so if this post belongs somewhere else?........(Other forums I belong to mods move them)......Please let me know.
    Last edited by Aeroscout; 12-22-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never had an H&G Mold but I've seen it written many times that they cast like a dream. Hard to say if you got a deal because the used mold market is very inflated right now. If you hold onto it long enough and drop enough boolits from it, it will be worth it. If nothing else you will likely be able to break even on it.

Boolit Master

I've owned 3 H&G 4 cavs for over 30 yrs. They are excellent molds and a joy to use. That said I don't think I'd be crazy about 6 and especially 8 cavs due to their weight. There is a lot to be said for the Lee 6 cavs, they make good bullets but you have to be a bit more careful with them.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the reply. I am happy with what I purchased, I know I will use them, particularly the H&G #501

This is what I found concerning it:

#501--.45 Colt. 260 grains. Plain base, one square grease groove, one crimp groove. Semi-wadcutter shoulder. Gently rounded nose to large meplat. Design by Elmer Keith.

It is my understanding that he went to H&G to build this mold as he was unsatisfied with the modifications Lyman did to his design. This thing ought to be the real McCoy when it comes to casting Keith boolits in 45 Colt.

I just don't know if I should jump on the others while the fire is still hot. Quite a bit of money for a guy that is just prepping to getting started.....have cast nary a one at this point. I have a cast iron pot and a dipping ladle but figure I need to get a little more up to date and get an actual production pot. Might be getting the horse before the cart.
    Last edited by Aeroscout; 12-22-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I've owned 3 H&G 4 cavs for over 30 yrs. They are excellent molds and a joy to use. That said I don't think I'd be crazy about 6 and especially 8 cavs due to their weight. There is a lot to be said for the Lee 6 cavs, they make good bullets but you have to be a bit more careful with them.
    Being careful with the Lee's is that because they are aluminum rather than steel?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only owned and cast with one Hensley & Gibbs mold, a four cavity #256 or 258 for the .41 Magnum. I passed it along to another member when I came to the realization that I was probably never going to get a .41...

With that said, it cast beautifully. I had to work very hard to screw up by not completely filling one cavity.

Lee molds are more of a starter item than a lifetime investment; not that some of them aren't good, they just need a bit more care in use than a H&G mold.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    I thank you all for the comments. I am well aware that the H&G molds are highly regarded.

My question more pertains to, are the prices for the above molds in or out of line?

Are they are good value or would one be getting soaked if they were to scoop them up?

I try not to pay more than things are worth so that I can get my money back out of them if they are no longer useful to me.

The problem is, in this case I really have no frame of reference as to the market in these molds.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I watch the H&G Prices on eBay. The asking price is most certainly fair for a 6-cavity mould. Provided it has not been abused.

I would like to know if the "Hensley & Gibbs 6 Cavity 45 Long Colt Round Nose Flat Point Loose Handle #22.454 $275" is still available.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    I for one would not spend what he is asking, they are way above my budget. If you have that kind of funds yes they are probably worth it, but you could buy 5 or 6 Lee 6 cavity molds for the price of one at $350.00. Iron molds with 6 or 8 cavity are heavy and will wear you out in a couple of hours of casting. Even 6 cavity Lee moulds can become tedious in a days session of casting.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used H&G for years and tried to buy some from E-bay after H&G closed . From that experience I think the H&G that is available to you in this deal are all fairly priced .

People keep telling me how bad the weight is and using a casting box to hold the mold , that is not a problem .

Buy them , sooner or later you will have a gun that needs lots of bullets .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    If you consider what a new hard metal mold cost ( that will probably not be as well made ) it's not out of line price wise .
    But we are blessed to have some really good mold makers now that put out very nice molds at a very reasonable price in brass , aluminum , and steel in 2-8 cavities .

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I bought an 8 cavity S242 45 SWC mold about 6 years ago and paid the guy $300 shipped. It was in pristine condition and will rain bullets when it gets up to temp.
    The trouble with that beast is that it takes forever to cool down to put away.

I have since found a 6 cavity 145 gr .357 SWC mold (can't remember the mold number) and didn't pay more than $160 for that mold. Almost as heavy as the 8 cavity.

Both are pot drainers and with my old arthritic wrist I' good for 2 pots worth of bullets, but what a pile they make.

Quote Originally Posted by The OP
    I am just getting started casting ...
    While H&G are the traditional Cat's Meow as collectables....
    I'd sure look to Tom Ellis at Accurate for the most
    useful/long-lived/best-of-best modern equivalent
    from state-of-the-art tooling/lifetime Best Value
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-23-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several H&G molds and they cast like a dream. My biggest suggestion when buying one is to make sure the handles come with it.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the condition of the molds. In good to excellent condition those prices might be reasonable. I have a few 4 cavity molds from them and they are nice molds but for the money NOE or MP will get you a lot more bang for the buck.

If you have an extra $1,000 burning a hole in your pocket there are worse ways you could spend your money… Personally I’d have a hard time shelling out that much money for a couple used molds when new molds are so much cheaper.

FWIW Learning on a 6 or 8 cavity steel mold will require a very fast tempo and/or hot plate to get the mold up to temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I am just getting started casting. . . .
    Learning on a 6 or 8 cavity steel mold ...
    ...there are worse ways you could spend your money…
    I really suggest the OP step back and think this through before dropping that kind of money,
    on those kind of molds that -- while collectable -- are at least twice the necessary cost for
    quality, and 3-4 times the complexity of beginning casting with more mananagble hardware/

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all, this tells me what I wanted to know.