MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Marlins are getting good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Falcon View Post
    You're not wrong. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for us poor, not-well-healed, folk from here on out.

I feel so not-well-heeled rich these days. No debt, all these JM stamped Marlins, tripping over ammo, 200 meter line on my property, steel hanging everywhere in the woods, greatest reloading room under 300 sq feet in the country ... if not the planet. More reloading supplies than Bass Pro and Cabela's combined. Great kids and grandkids. Young pretty green eyed dark-haired long-legged skinny-ankles big-breasted wife. Awesome dogs. Lake full of fish. Woods full of game. Acres around me with no one on them but the birds and bugs and bambies and wabbits .... did I mention my dogs?

I love this not-well-heeled life. Took me decades to get here, just kept my hose down, steadily moving forward in an unwell-heeled life .... and now I get to observe the craziness. And it is crazier than bed bugs out there these days. It's going to be easy peasy pickins when the time comes. All these well-heeled folks with their fancy firearms and castles full of ammo and reloading supplies.

Where is Hatch these days? He still mean and cantankerous? Now there's one well-heeled dude.

Point being ... Gun Broker has left us normal folks behind boys. Auction entities always do ... it's always been that way ... literally forever. Most of us small town country boys never paid much attention to them anyways.

The best deals to be found are in local traders, small town gun shops and viq word of mouth through friends and families. Cultivated contacts and work buddies.

Ruger will habe the market so flooded, in short order, that those well-heeled fellas will be regretting their jumping-of-the-gun(s) ... pardon the pun, and the rhyme.
    I only have one comment/ question!!??

Does your wife have a twin sister who is single!!??
    Last edited by BRobertson; 01-01-2022 at 01:14 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Question, is the MSRP of $1400 of the new 1895 Ruger made Marlins going to make the price of the not so great Remlins go up or down??? My fear is that its going to make the prices rise................penny for your thoughts..........

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Falcon View Post
    I'm with you except the JM stamped Marlins are what they are and they'll never be made again. Ruger missed a great chance to keep the Huntsville factory open and stamp the new rifles with HUNT ... which would have been a great marketing brand.

I do know, because I was one of the ones they called, that they called a lot of collectors and owners, they reached out to certain members of the Marlin Forum, others such as me who had a lot of contact with the old customer service people like Bob Tinari ... they asked us for input. I think, initially they had decided to go with laminated furniture because of durability and availability and price point given what the Walnut is going-for and they'll never put Beech on an 1895.

For some reason, which I have never understood, a lot of the big bore guys the 45-70 and 444 Marlin guys love those laminated stocks and stainless receivers I guess because they are marketed more to the Pacific NW and great white north crowd.

The 30.30 is going to-be an early staple at a more affordable price point, very competive. Everyone forgets how much more expensive Henrys were ... now they'll be more in line price-wise and the Marlin design and engineering will be very hard for Henry to beat head-to-head.

I do like the Henry Long Ranger.

I know I recommended a 35 Remington version and the person who called me pretty much scoffed at that saying a half dozen others will be produced before they seriously consider a 35 Remington. The 30.30, 357/38, 444 Marlin ... I think he implied the 44 Mag ... pretty much anything that can be marketed as straight walled deer cartridges in the Midwestern states.

I know a few of the old club had some really indepth unput and came away with a lot more poop than did I.

I think they're planning a 327 Federal version to complement their revolver ... may happen sooner rather than later. I'm sure that has issues with ammo supply just like they said the 35 Rem does from their perspective.

So later I got a call about my 338 Marlin Express ... an interested buyer. It was the last one out of the old New Haven plant and I've got the provenance to prove that ... it's insane how much I've been offered for this rifle. (I'll try to post pictures if I can find them.) It is, of course, JM stamped. The person that called me had a west Arkansas area code so I assumed he was repping Ruger trying to buy the rifle ... although he dodged that question quite artfully saying his client wished to remain anonymous. He was very matter of fact, take it or leave it, but he kept upping the offers until we got well into four digits ... close to five and I still said thanks but no thanks.

It made me realize how valuable the JM stamped Marlins are going to be down the road, especially rare or low production models. Also, older ones, well kept in orignal configuration and unbubbarized.

Anyways, I could go on and on about Marlins ... the 308 MX and the 338 MX (see below) are probably two of the greatest levergun calibers ever designed but the ammo manufacturers never fully supported either of them, especially Hornady which betrayed Marlin in many ways.

Great post with some fascinating observations! Thank you for taking the time to write it!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Bub
    I think Ruger made a very savvy decision in taking over the Marlin line. The crazy demand for guns over the past couple of years has accelerated purchases to a point that you have to wonder what the companies can do with their product lines going forward. In the case of Ruger, instead of methodically selling a profitable number of Ruger American bolt actions each year and adding an occasional new chambering or stock/finish style to generate interest, they have probably been able to sell 5 years worth of these guns in a relatively short time. In essence, everyone that wanted a Ruger American will soon have one, if they already don't. Lack of ammo/reloading components for unpopular cartridges will nullify adding a wider list of chamberings, so what can they do to generate sales? With the Marlin line, Ruger has a whole new outlet for product offerings to build brand loyalty.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    It's surprising how many people don't know what the the larger levers are for. It's not for looks.
    John Wayne or some other 1950-1960's western star famed the big loop lever.

Was never featured on any Winchester before 1950 and i do believe the same for Marlin.
    But please prove me wrong by adding original adds or catalogue pages!

The winter stalkers of past was good enough that they had time to remove their glove to shoot.
    Its the weekend "hunters" of today that only hunt for sports, that need big scopes, way big cartridges and all the help they can get from other accessories.

The 30-30 and a simpe hunter has bagged more big game than you know!

Boolit Buddy
    I do not expect I'll have any reservations buying a Ruglin once the market demand has been met and the prices settle down. I expect they'll be the best built and most accurate ones of all.
    No love for Henry's offerings here!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Good to see. But at $1400, I think I'll pass...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/mar...-rifle-review/
    I would_not pass but I can’t find one to save my booty!

Art

PS can’t wait!
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    They could sell them for $750 by eliminating 2/3 of that railroad on top.

I would be happy if they offered the 336T straight grip configuration with birch stocks(or synthetic)and bead blast finish. For pickup, atv, or tractor use( no worries about that walnut and polished blue).
    In 30-30, of course.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "They could sell them for $750 by eliminating 2/3 of that railroad on top."
    agreed! it looks like they're just screwed on
    Loren

Someone in Ruger's marketing department has to be following this thread.

Please, please produce the 336 in 35 Remington!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Great video! Hard to believe that there are people out there that think the Remlins were good rifles and just as good as the JM Marlins. Probably Biden voters...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I remember when the lgs were full of cheap, used leverguns. Boy, those days are long gone. At some point though, thousands of gun enthusiasts will pass away and the market will be flooded with used treasures. There are a couple gunshows i like to get to out in the hinterlands where you are likely to find some estate firearms before they get to a shop or on gunbroker.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I dont think ruger is going to let any junk get boxed up off the factory floor. looking at the current catalog the only lever action they are offering is the 1895 in 45-70.
    I dont think they will be bringing the 39a or the 56 or 57m back into production any time soon. they will probably stick to the most sought after stuff like the 1894 in 357 and 44 and the 336 in 30-30. I guess because I'm an old phart I still dont understand the huge desire folks have for the 45-70 unless your brown bear hunting in the north. maybe I guess the jurrasic park movie has something to do with it and folks that watch a screen all day, day dreaming think dinosaurs or zombies are something they need protection from. and many young people today dont quite understand the actual effect even a 30-30 load has on flesh and bone at 100 yards.
    well I do understand that states with crazy laws like straight wall cartridge only hunting is a limiting factor and if you get to go out and hunt you dont want that trophy buck getting away. might as well be sure as sure can be and smash it with at least 325 grains of lead as fast as you can get it going. ok there's my 45-70 rant.
    when I was a kid our dream was to get a winchester 70 or a Remington 700 in 270 win because of all the great stories in the gun and hunting magazines of the era.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I dont think ruger is going to let any junk get boxed up off the factory floor. looking at the current catalog the only lever action they are offering is the 1895 in 45-70.
    I dont think they will be bringing the 39a or the 56 or 57m back into production any time soon. they will probably stick to the most sought after stuff like the 1894 in 357 and 44 and the 336 in 30-30. I guess because I'm an old phart I still dont understand the huge desire folks have for the 45-70 unless your brown bear hunting in the north. maybe I guess the jurrasic park movie has something to do with it and folks that watch a screen all day, day dreaming think dinosaurs or zombies are something they need protection from. and many young people today dont quite understand the actual effect even a 30-30 load has on flesh and bone at 100 yards.
    well I do understand that states with crazy laws like straight wall cartridge only hunting is a limiting factor and if you get to go out and hunt you dont want that trophy buck getting away. might as well be sure as sure can be and smash it with at least 325 grains of lead as fast as you can get it going. ok there's my 45-70 rant.
    when I was a kid our dream was to get a winchester 70 or a Remington 700 in 270 win because of all the great stories in the gun and hunting magazines of the era.
    My brother's 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 is the most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot. That was with the Hornady leverevolution 325 grain FTX load.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I remember when the lgs were full of cheap, used leverguns. Boy, those days are long gone. At some point though, thousands of gun enthusiasts will pass away and the market will be flooded with used treasures. There are a couple gunshows i like to get to out in the hinterlands where you are likely to find some estate firearms before they get to a shop or on gunbroker.
    Same here. I like leverguns but for over a grand there are so many more guns I can have for the same price or less than and I'll have more fun with them and they will be more accurate too. I will be picking up a Rossi. The action job I did on my dads R92 really made the gun a sweetheart.

Boolit Master
    I had interest in getting into cowboy shooting this year. SASS. Honestly I could buy a bass boat for the price of the four guns I need to shoot.

I really enjoy levers more then most when it comes to rifles. I have not seen one for sale in a LGS in the past year.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Sadly I guess this what the new generation wants. I absolutely do not want a threaded barrel or that junk rail on top and hate plywood stocks. I am extremely sick of the word tactical being used on everything. I would not pay 1400 for a basket full of these. Ruger please sell to Browning so these can be made by Miruko. Can you imagine how fine cowboy marlins would be if made in Japan. My god i cant believe i said that but it is true.

Yes you can bet the 39 is gone forever.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    Sadly I guess this what the new generation wants. I absolutely do not want a threaded barrel or that junk rail on top and hate plywood stocks. I am extremely sick of the word tactical being used on everything. I would not pay 1400 for a basket full of these. Ruger please sell to Browning so these can be made by Miruko. Can you imagine how fine cowboy marlins would be if made in Japan. My god i cant believe i said that but it is true.

Yes you can bet the 39 is gone forever.
    I had a beautiful JM 1894 Marlin...

Attachment 294685

It was just too nice to go busting brush with it. Plus, I wanted a carbine for the Jeep and UTV and for around the campfire at night in wolf country. So I sold the JM for $1000 and bought a Henry Black rifle.

I don't need or want a threaded barrel, but I actually HAD to have a mount for a flashlight, and the rail made mounting the red dot super easy, while still allowing me to co-witness with the fiber optic sights.

It's a working gun, and it is perfect. For me.

Attachment 294690

I viewed using an immaculate JM Marlin as a Jeeping/camping/hiking carbine as the equivalent of using a beautiful and original `55 F100 to haul garbage to the dump with. Doesn't make sense

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast