Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Ruger Marlins are getting good reviews.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I had a beautiful JM 1894 Marlin...

Attachment 294685

It was just too nice to go busting brush with it. Plus, I wanted a carbine for the Jeep and UTV and for around the campfire at night in wolf country. So I sold the JM for $1000 and bought a Henry Black rifle.

I don't need or want a threaded barrel, but I actually HAD to have a mount for a flashlight, and the rail made mounting the red dot super easy, while still allowing me to co-witness with the fiber optic sights.

It's a working gun, and it is perfect. For me.

Attachment 294690

I viewed using an immaculate JM Marlin as a Jeeping/camping/hiking carbine as the equivalent of using a beautiful and original `55 F100 to haul garbage to the dump with. Doesn't make sense
    Now that's a nice setup with your Henry!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Someone in Ruger's marketing department has to be following this thread.

Please, please produce the 336 in 35 Remington!
    I can tell you at the moment they are not. For years I have worked with them and its all about the next trendy caliber. You want a new 35 Rem make a Hollywood film featuring one.

When we spoke last week I was not happy with the outcome of the phone call.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    Sadly I guess this what the new generation wants. I absolutely do not want a threaded barrel or that junk rail on top and hate plywood stocks. I am extremely sick of the word tactical being used on everything. I would not pay 1400 for a basket full of these. Ruger please sell to Browning so these can be made by Miruko. Can you imagine how fine cowboy marlins would be if made in Japan. My god i cant believe i said that but it is true.

Yes you can bet the 39 is gone forever.
    At my side job shop, tacticool stuff is not selling well at all. The "braced pistols" especially, absolutely nobody cares about them. We do get a steady stream of people coming in to ask about bolt action hunting rifles in .270 and .30'06, and every wood stocked pump shotgun that shows up sells fast.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    At my side job shop, tacticool stuff is not selling well at all. The "braced pistols" especially, absolutely nobody cares about them. We do get a steady stream of people coming in to ask about bolt action hunting rifles in .270 and .30'06, and every wood stocked pump shotgun that shows up sells fast.
    My local shop has dozens of hunting rifles in about 4-5 calibers. Number one is 6.5 Creedmoor. Second is 6.5 PRC. I haven't seen a wood-stocked bolt action rifle on the shelf in a long time. Finding a rifle in .30-06 or .270 is nearly impossible.

Attachment 294729

Attachment 294730
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Someone in Ruger's marketing department has to be following this thread.

Please, please produce the 336 in 35 Remington!
    Fortunately, they are too smart to do that. I know it is a cast shooters darling but what a commercial flop it would be. Ammo difficult to get, and cases not easy to find.

We want them to succeed don’t we?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I don't really have anything meaningful to add to this discussion. I've gone thru my lever action period and ended up with two Marlins, one of which has the most figured wood stock I've ever seen. The other was a Marlin 30AW(Montgomery Ward, I think) that I gave to my older son. The others are Browning/Miroku 71, just because and Browning/Miroku 1895 in .30-40 Krag for the same reason.

I wish Ruger good fortune in the efforts to bring Marlin back to prominence but I'm too old to think about another lever action rifle.

Oh! I forgot about the Browning 92 in .44 Mag and Rossi .357 and Win. 94,.30-30 Love to play with them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My brother's 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 is the most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot. That was with the Hornady leverevolution 325 grain FTX load.
    I had one many years ago and found it unpleasant to shoot and sold it. Iirc, it had a hard rubber pad that was good at protecting the stock. Was not a caster back then so I did not appreciate the value of milder loads.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I had one many years ago and found it unpleasant to shoot and sold it. Iirc, it had a hard rubber pad that was good at protecting the stock. Was not a caster back then so I did not appreciate the value of milder loads.
    A buddy of mine did the same thing with the same gun/ammo and sold the gun fast. I am shooting trapdoor loads in my 1895SS 22” and it’s a good comfortable combination, of which I love the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Here’s a link to a video of the new Marlin, if you haven’t already seen it.

https://youtu.be/lpxriCVhciA

Boolit Master
    It really does look like a quality piece. Should have a hammer forged barrel too. And the back up sights are a nice touch. The rail is just in keeping with the optics trends out there. I'll bet they turn out to be really nice rifles. Ruger would not want to travel Remington's path.
    Then again, this one looks pretty nice too;
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923459570
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-02-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Now that's a nice setup with your Henry!
    I like that! Would put down trouble right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Hurry up guys! 1 Ruglin on GI only 2895.00 you can be one of the first !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345