Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Marlins are getting good reviews.

Boolit Master

New Ruger Marlins are getting good reviews.

Good to see. But at $1400, I think I'll pass...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/mar...-rifle-review/
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I agree. They do look sweet, even threaded bbls. But that MSRP is a killer - i will stick with my Henry.
    Hopefully after the newness wears off they will come down to a decently affordable price.
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Master

My Henry X has exceeded my 1894 Remlin in every way. I'll stick with it for half the price of a new Ruglin.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

If their not better than Win/Miroku I have zero interest.

when they build them in blue steel with real walnut stocks, not plywood, lose the big loop lever, the goofy sights, and threaded barrel, I'll have a look but the model they opened up with is nothing I'd ever bring home... and as others have said a msrp of $1400 is a complete nonstarter... no way I'd consider any of them at that price point.

1400 for the new, well fit, accurate, stainless 45/70, Ruger Marlin sounds much better than the prices of the used ones, for what you are getting. I wish the article had more info on the barrel, and the accuracy.

I also, wish they would hurry up with a 30-30.

Yea, I was hoping the MSRP would be lower, and not for me but others with less discretionary income. Not much difference between a 1895 and a 336. I can’t see the 336 selling hardly at all close to this price. Hoping the 1894 comes in at less but who knows. Jeeze, WTH will they be wanting for a 39A if they build it?
    If it doesn’t move at that price, manufacturers have been known to drop the price to distributors while leaving the MSRP alone.

Vendor Sponsor

If we never had the pandemic, what do you think the price would be? $1100? $1200? The $1400 MSRP actually doesn't seem out of line with everything else in this disastrous administration's economy. Considering the price of gas, the price of steel, groceries, the astronomical jump in the price of housing and even used cars, the Ruglin doesn't sound like such an outrageous deal for all the good improvements Ruger has made to the model before production began. Let's hope they will keep their ears and their ideas open to the preferences of their end users.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I'm out. A real wood stock would be nice, the over sized lever loop looks stupid, a little larger barrel diameter would be nice and they could skip the stainless steel. Why not a reasonable hunting caliber? Something like a 38-56 or 40-65 would be great. And, there is nothing more stupid that a cross bolt safety on a lever gun. I guess that's why I buy old guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Standard practice: release the high dollar model first, for the fat wallet collectors who have to have the "first" of something. Fast first return on investment. Base models will come later.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    If their not better than Win/Miroku I have zero interest.
    True! How do we get Winchester to make more of their levers though so that they're easier to find? I'd love another miroku, but at a usual resale price of $1700-2000+ on GunBroker, I can't afford them

While I'd never buy a Marlin levergun of any maker, being a forever Winchester man, I do like the slightly oversize lever. It's not stupid twirling round big, but big enough for winter hunting with gloves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    While I'd never buy a Marlin levergun of any maker, being a forever Winchester man, I do like the slightly oversize lever. It's not stupid twirling round big, but big enough for winter hunting with gloves.
    It's surprising how many people don't know what the the larger levers are for. It's not for looks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    It's surprising how many people don't know what the the larger levers are for. It's not for looks.
    About the right size for heavy mitts

Boolit Master
    I gues there must be a lot of folks who've never hunted where you need chopper mits and gortex-lined gloves in the winter. GF

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I gues there must be a lot of folks who've never hunted where you need chopper mits and gortex-lined gloves in the winter. GF
    I guess that's why I fish instead of hunt. Winter is for staying inside the house and reloading next year's ammo.

I own an origional and early production Marlin 1895, also the model 1893, both are wonderful rifles. This new Marlin from Ruger is nothing like them or course.

Good reviews always come from paid writers of products, it's called "doing business with the hand that feeds you". Reviews from everyday shooters and hunters are in general, more realistic.

The Marlin action has been a good one by design from the start, and if made correctly meaning, well fitting parts of quality that are smooth and without burrs, fitted with quality stocks, perfectly made sites that work as expected and have a high quality barrel, everyone buying one will have a rifle for life, and their childrens lives as well. However, that word "quality" is a dirty word to bean counters who want high profits, are not hunter/collectors/ care little about our opinion as the end user. You make something, sell the hell out of it through adds and such, then move on to the next design.
    Ruger should be making lots of bread and butter single actions (not) and forget about rescueing Marlin or, at least produce an origional rifle with refrain from "Rugerizing" a quality rifle of old.

Boolit Buddy
    $1,400 isn't that far out of line, the equivalent Henry is $1,221 MSRP. As was said the price may still come down.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-...-70-side-gate/
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

That highly polished receiver does not look like any Marlin I have ever seen. At least the thread protector on the muzzle does not appear to be knurled, I could not see any evidence it was threaded since there were no close-ups.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast