MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: BD1N Steel Anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

BD1N Steel Anyone?

I just got around to playing with a new Kizer Azo Vanguard Series Begleiter bought here on sale https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-...leiter--117235

Knife HQ has a great variety of knives at very good prices. It's where I go for all my knives.

This is my first CTS BD1N steel knife. I've pretty much stuck to VG10 or 8Cr13MoV (a very underrated steel imo ) type for ease of sharpening while holding a nice edge and being rust resistant. Been quite happy with my Byrd with the 8Cr steel. The Byrd is a budget Spyderco Delica with the cheaper steel but I have really gotten used to the handle shape and size. Great for the pocket and holds a good edge but is easy to sharpen.

Anyone else have experience long term with the BD1N steel? It is very sharp as a knife should be coming out of the box, a little stiff and the blade lock is balky but I expect it to work well after a little use. Not sure on the straight handle as I've gotten used to the Spyderco style that is slim and curved to fit the hand.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I think you'll find BD1N to be a similar performing steel to the 8Cr13MoV. BD1N has a bit more chromium and carbon but the biggest difference is the addition of Nitrogen. I suspect it's a little cheaper to produce than S30V while still providing good performance.
    Stay Sharp
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!