RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee App press

Boolit Bub

Lee App press

Has anyone used the Lee App press to resize bullets? Been doing it on my hand press in front of the TV, but I figured the lee app press would speed things up.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the APP for about a year now. It's fiddly to set up but once set up there is nothing faster for sizing PC bullets or for depriming cases.
    Loren

It's a kicker, the most optimal machine you can use for resizing, depriming, swaging.

The most innovative press of our time. I used it the other day as a single stage to make some 45-70 and then process some 223 for my progressive later

Boolit Master
    Ditto what Jackbrush said better than sliced bread.

Boolit Bub
    Awesome, does anyone use a bullet collator for it? Looks like they gotta be fed upside down.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got one that I feed with a mr bullet feeder (with the nose down conversion) that works as well or better than my Phelps star clone with the magma bullet feeder. At the price (or twice that they are money well spent) I also use it connected to my Dillon case feeder to swage primer pockets and to decap brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found mine is great for pistol rounds. I got a piece of 308 brass stuck in a die because the shell holder on the app press did not grab the rim good enough. light resizing is ok heavy work not so good in my opinion

Boolit Bub
    I got myns setup to size and gas check 160 grain casts. Works pretty good. Having my wife feed the boolits in until I decide a collator.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got a press cycle counter on my Dillon that gives me rounds per hour that I rigged a micro switch to that counts every bullet sized and I can average around 3,500 per hour sizing on the app

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guzma393 View Post
    Has anyone used the Lee App press to resize bullets? Been doing it on my hand press in front of the TV, but I figured the lee app press would speed things up.
    What, I bought it for.

I skip the shuttle and collator. Hand feeding, 45 to 50 a minute is an easy pace that this old guy can maintain until I get bored. I also don’t use the dinky little catch container; a plastic bucket set just under the APP to minimize the drop is more practical for the volume I do, though even that needs to be emptied a few times during a several K run.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    Ive got a press cycle counter on my Dillon that gives me rounds per hour that I rigged a micro switch to that counts every bullet sized and I can average around 3,500 per hour sizing on the app
    Those are impressive numbers. I do have a 3d printed bullet collator at hand. I just gotta make a bullet flipper adapter to rig it on the lee APP press.

Boolit Master
    I got one at the first of the month. Amazing is all I can say. I decap before running my cases in the wet tumbler and the APP totally changed things for the better, and that's compared to my running the cases through a decapping die on my Load Master. The stroke is shorter which makes the work faster and easier on my old joints. I also got the primer pocket swaging kit and that is a game changer too. I've run Dillons swaging tool and I have the RCBS swaging die set for a single stage press. Neither hold a candle to the APP for swaging out primer pocket crimps. The APP is some of the best money I've spent on a reloading tool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I have found mine is great for pistol rounds. I got a piece of 308 brass stuck in a die because the shell holder on the app press did not grab the rim good enough. light resizing is ok heavy work not so good in my opinion
    I bet you made the same mistake I did! If you read, someplace in fine print, you can’t use the x she’ll holder. You must use a regular shell holder when re-sizing brass! Kinda defeats the idea of using the app press as you have to manually feed cases! I can’t tell you how many cases I got stuck in the die before I went back and reread the instructions. The x shell holder just doesn’t grab enough of the rim! I’ll admit that I haven’t tried it for 9 mm
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I love mine so much. That i bought a second one. The second one is set up for .223/556 brass. I only use them for de-caping.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Whether or not bullet goes nose first or tail first depends on the bullet design. I find with the 311008 it doesn't really matter. I suspect that it depends on how wide/flat the nose is.
    Loren

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    Whether or not bullet goes nose first or tail first depends on the bullet design. I find with the 311008 it doesn't really matter. I suspect that it depends on how wide/flat the nose is.
    Loren
    Interesting point. I got a lee 120/356 tc nose mold that is flat tipped. It would probably size fine upright.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For depriming, sizing boolits and even resizing pistol in 223, it’s awesome. I just wish I could pay another hundred dollars or so and get a little heavier duty version. It’s just a matter time before some of this plastic breaks. I guess I need to learn to 3-D print.

They’re cheap enough though that you can almost buy one for your top 4 to 5 calibers/uses.

I definitely recommend the improved handle.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    For depriming, sizing boolits and even resizing pistol in 223, it’s awesome. I just wish I could pay another hundred dollars or so and get a little heavier duty version. It’s just a matter time before some of this plastic breaks. I guess I need to learn to 3-D print.

They’re cheap enough though that you can almost buy one for your top 4 to 5 calibers/uses.

I definitely recommend the improved handle.
    https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-auto...ess-app-parts/

Lee offers replacement parts for the plastic bits. I typically add a bunch of replacements for my lee presses in the cart and they come out as free, just pay shipping.