Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25-35

Boolit Buddy
    If you make them from 38-55s, use the short 2.08 brass. It will cut down on the trimming. I used them to make 25-36 Marlin. I used a 30-30 die the a 25remington form die then the 25-26M.
    I built a Remington rolling block in 25-35W to use the Winchester 25-35 brass I originally intended to use in the marlin. I've only used Hornaday 118gr in it to date for barrel break-in.
    Good luck with your 25 caliber .

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon has load data on their website for a few different bullet weights, one of which is 90gr cast.
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Western Powders has some data as well.
    https://accuratepowder.com/wp-conten....0-Web-REV.pdf
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Brass is readily available; start with Gunbroker - type in search ".25-35 brass". The best mold is Lyman/Ideal 257335, 119 grns, a round noise GC desinged very simlilar to the pld SIlver tip or Cor-Loct factory loads. No fear of primer detonation in the mag. RCBS makes a good mold of a 119 grn, GC FN POINTED. Its a good shooter BUT too pointed for my taste-load one in chamber and one in mag. Other wise watch for an old Ideal tool with the mold on it. You want 119 +/- for deer I think. I watched for about twenty years to find the right Lyman mold 257335. They are not common. I think one of the new mold makers make a RCBS copy that maybe could be modified to flatter nose.
    good luck

I've been a .250 Savage fan since 1986 and a 25-06 fan since 2008. I would love to have a 25-35 single shot to go along with them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Its amusing how 30-30 brass is the parent to so many other cartridges. Some fellows think the 30wcf is on the cusp of being antiquated/ obsolete. Personally " I don't think so."
    Not to be a butt, 38-55 is the parent. And I do agree, the 30WCF is far from finished, I also think it's time has likely passed. The AR is definitely going to replace the 94/336 as the rifle of choice it if it has not already; the question is what cartridge is going to stand in it's place. The 30 H'AMR is the closest to being a true ballistic twin, I don't know if it suffers from being a proprietary like JD's 300 Whisper. But notice what happened when Advanced Armament Corp. took their spin on the concept to SAAMI and the 300 Blackout was blessed. Everybody began to offer it and at a club of about 1300 people, I find 300 BLK brass on the ground at least once a month even in these times of shortage, and that's been the case for 7 years now. I see so much 223, again, even in these times of shortage, I don't even bother to scarf it up anymore even though I use it to reload and to make 300 Blk from. In the mid 1980's when I started casting and reloading, it was common to find 30-30 and 30-06 brass with that kind of regularity. Now I rarely find them. I find 308 a good bit, I see 6.5 Creedmore about as often, and I see 6.5 Grendell more often than one would think.

People like us who grew up on the 30-30, and still use it for a gun to take our grandkids hunting with will always have, keep and cherish the cartridge and rifles which gave it life but there is a generation upon us that has eschewed the once venerable 30 WCF as antiquated and out of date. It will certainly always do the job as it always has but like the 38 Special and 45 Colt, I think it's time at the top has passed. It is not pleasant to admit that, doing so may well mean my time has passed. I think of the story of one of Henry Fords lawyers asking a banker if he thought investing in Ford Motor Company would be worth the risk. The banker relied that he thought the automobile was just a passing fad. The lawyer invested $5,000. Within 5 years he was a millionaire. "Other People's Money" is a movie worth watching as well. Danny Devito's character tells an interesting story about buggy whips. Ruger revolutionized the snub nose revolver with the LCR. I wonder how many more LCP's they sell, as I almost never see the LCR in the display case. Sometimes it sucks getting old.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've been a .250 Savage fan since 1986 and a 25-06 fan since 2008. I would love to have a 25-35 single shot to go along with them.

Why not a repeater on a small ring Mauser?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    It was not cheap but I bought a really nice Ideal 257306 mould (115 grain gas check) off ebay this year and took a 6 pointer with one of the bullets this fall. I worked up a load using RL-7 on quick load. I will try to look at my notes tomorrow. Had to oven harden wheel weights when shooting full throttle but no leading. Such a great round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Why not a repeater on a small ring Mauser?
    You know that won't work......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

I'm thinking an Italian 1885 (with a minor barrel change) would be amazing!!
    I am with you on this project Texas by God. Especially with a deep throat and rifling changes for a longer ) heavier boolit!!

p.s. kinda jealous that I hadn't thought of that!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Any of the older pre 1970 Lyman manual will have plenty of loads for 25-35 . Bullets and Brass has Hornady brass at about $47 per 50 . Says it is in stock now .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Since we are talking the quarter bore now, I am holding a McGowen 250ai barrel for a donor Marlin 35 Remington. Just need the donor and a gunsmith to do the conversion.

If you do a little waiting you can buy 25-35 brass, I just got 100pcs new WW for a decent price by searching a little here and there. You might look at Pet Loads for a good load, Waters usually included cast boolits with his write-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Not to be a butt, 38-55 is the parent...
    Interestingly enough the Marlin cartridges are based on the 38-55 and the win cartridges are based on the 38-50. Beings nobody knows about the 38-50 I'd say that the 25-35 is based on the 30-30 (vs the earlier 25-36 marlin, based on the longer 38-55). You can see this by looking at the length of a 32-40 & 38-55 & 25-36 vs the length of a 25-35 & 30-30.
    Last edited by .45Cole; 01-03-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Any of the older pre 1970 Lyman manual will have plenty of loads for 25-35 . Bullets and Brass has Hornady brass at about $47 per 50 . Says it is in stock now .
    Lyman 44 does not nor does 45. 45 is dated 1970.
    Take a kid along

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I found this in the Lyman/Ideal #39 Reloading manual. If you can't read it, let me know and I can forward you a larger image via email.
    Hope this helps.

RRR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 35 Winx.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	294025
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

If one had a small ring Mauser that would feed 30-30 and that also used a barrel nut, it just might also be possible it could be fitted with barrels in 25-35 and 38-55.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Lyman 44 does not nor does 45. 45 is dated 1970.
    Try page 53 of #40 and pages 71&72 of #41 . Never had a #44 but I know the #45 by heart and am aware it is not listed in it even in the back among the cartridges that they listed as obsolete and semi obsolete . Have not looked in the Cast Bullet Handbook but I would think at least the older versions would have some loads for 25-35 .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-05-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    LoadData.com has a good bit of 25-35 load data.

25-35 is just flat made the way a cast boolit cartridge oughta be.
    After tinkering with the cartridge for thirty years it's still entertaining.
    Had the NEI #257-114GC but now using these.

Boolit Master
    RCBS might just still be making the 85 or 87 grain cowboy and the 100 grain molds. I've looked into casting for my old winchester but after getting a few hundred Hornady 117 RN bullets and a case of seiller Bellot 6.5x52r ammo, ive got plenty for as often as I shoot that gun. its funny how that gun is 114 years old and its the smoothest operating winchester ive ever owned

Boolit Buddy
    NOE makes 25 cal molds, watch ebay for older Lyman and RCBS molds. Forming brass from 30-30 is easy. an intermediate neck die say 270 or 7mm helps. Hornaday makes universal neck dies that work well. Neck down to 270 or 7mm, anneal, and then size in a 25/35 FL die. The Lyman 257418 (100gr or the 257420 (69gr) with 14-15 gr 5744 has been quite accurate. 7 to 8 gr Unique is also good. the 69gr is awesome on tree rats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast