RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Marlin 336 recoil

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 recoil

I bought my 336 in .35 rem about 5 years ago. The recoil pad had turned hard and I removed it. I got a lace on leather pad. It shoots great with reduced loads, but is like getting smacked with a leather wrapped baseball bat with full power loads any suggestions on what to put between the buttstock and the boot?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211220_212202.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	293427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211220_212506.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	293428

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Get a new pad from Numrich. If not there, Brownells.

Boolit Master

This will sound totally stupid and crazy, but it actually works. Buy a pair of those cheap flip flops and cut 2 "recoil pads" from one of them, slide them inside that leather boot then reinstall the boot. I did this for one of my grandsons, made shooting a trapper model with cutdown stock tolerable with hunting loads. 11yo boys seem to dislike getting a face/shoulder smack for some reason lol.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Mold
    If you have access to a belt sander, you could by a Pachmyer or Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad and have one that absorbs recoil nicely and fits perfectly. I did that with a Limbsaver grind to fit pad on my Marlin 1895 and it works great.

Boolit Mold
    p.s. can also what RoyEllis suggested with mouse pads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan800 View Post
    If you have access to a belt sander, you could by a Pachmyer or Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad and have one that absorbs recoil nicely and fits perfectly. I did that with a Limbsaver grind to fit pad on my Marlin 1895 and it works great.
    Be careful There. Most people don't posess the skill to do what you are suggesting and it will soon be obvious that "Bubba" was present. Even skilled gunsmiths use a jig and do not grind the pads on the gun. It would be money well spent to hire a reputable gunsmith to install a pad on that rifle.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    This will sound totally stupid and crazy, but it actually works. Buy a pair of those cheap flip flops and cut 2 "recoil pads" from one of them, slide them inside that leather boot then reinstall the boot. I did this for one of my grandsons, made shooting a trapper model with cutdown stock tolerable with hunting loads. 11yo boys seem to dislike getting a face/shoulder smack for some reason lol.
    Dido, this is the least amount of work and the cheapest. I did this to a Rossi 357 16 inch barrel, not for recoil but to extend the length of pull. I cut them to fit inside the rubber slip on

I did a Limbsave grind to fit on my Marlin 36. It had been cut down before I got it and had an old red shotgun pad that was coming apart and was hard as a rock. Put blue tape over the wood and used a belt sander to shape it till it was about 1/8th of an inch proud. Used sandpaper to do the rest so that I didn't Bubba it. The Limbsaver makes a huge difference for my recoil shy 19-year-old son. He loves shooting it now but won't even think about shooting my over 100 year old Win 94 30-30 with the metal butplate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin36_640.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	293447
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As I remember, the Limbsaver that is listed as fitting the 336 actually does come really close. I have one on my Glenfield 30.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I smile at this post. My cast 200 grain bullet going out at 1500 FPS is about all I want for range plinking. If I were loading to 2200 FPS, I could maybe sight the rifle in with 10 shots or so and use the other 10 for hunting. I would not target shoot with those loads but maybe you are. That’s what I did for a friend when I loaded for his .348 Win 71. We sighted the rifle in with full power hunting loads and we were done.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 336 in 35 also, a waffle top so it is minimal weight with factory butt plate. I almost always wear hearing protection while shooting, even at deer. In my opinion the best recommendation i can make to make shooting a Marlin more pleasurable to shoot is to wear good hearing protection. Always at the range and whenever practical in other situations. My ears are far more sensitive than my shoulder, i am average size so i dont have extra weight to mitigate recoil.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    I have a 336 in 35 also, a waffle top so it is minimal weight with factory butt plate. I almost always wear hearing protection while shooting, even at deer. In my opinion the best recommendation i can make to make shooting a Marlin more pleasurable to shoot is to wear good hearing protection. Always at the range and whenever practical in other situations. My ears are far more sensitive than my shoulder, i am average size so i dont have extra weight to mitigate recoil.

Hunting is pretty much the (only) time I wear the foam in-ear noise suppressors, as opposed to the over-ear muffs while target shooting. This enables a blaze orange beanie to be worn... I bought a quite worn 336 adorned with a Tasco scope years back as my "junk-truck-gun" but, after shooting it a few times at then-moving targets it has indeed become my favourite! I also have a recoil boot on mine, and -- a win-win to increase length of pull a smidgeon or two as well as significantly reduce recoil, I place a pair of thin cotton (el cheapo's which come in the plastic bag of a dozen (?) or so at Harbor Freight) gloves in the boot. While my theory for so doing includes having an "emergency" spare pair of glove, I've never needed/used them as such. But -- the cotton or whatever material they're made of.... works!
    geo

Anything you put between the slip on and buttstock is going to make the lop longer. If thats not an issue look in your junk box or your lgs junk box and find a sg buttpad with some life in it and it will fit in the slip ion, cut off the hard plastic base and put the rubber part between the lace on and wood. Did that to my M12 trenchgun that had a cut down buttstock so it served two purposes, cut recoil and a longer lop [l’m 6’4].

Boolit Master
    Go to the grocery/drug/whatever store and buy a pair of nice thick foam shoe insole pads.
    Cut to fit.
    Or steal from a pair of old sneaker (wash first)