Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: lyman mold pin fix

Boolit Master

lyman mold pin fix

i have a lyman minnie ball mould that the wooden round pull handle has come off the pin.how would this been fixed considering the heat transfer

Boolit Master
    JB Weld will work for a while, roughing the shank of the pin will help. I have mold handles where it has cracked from the heat but is still holding. Depending how much you cast it should last years.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    JB Weld will work for a while, roughing the shank of the pin will help. I have mold handles where it has cracked from the heat but is still holding. Depending how much you cast it should last years.
    will jb weld hold wood and steel together? or would a two part expoxy be better

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    Yes. JB Weld is a metal filled 2 part epoxy. It's a good solution, just not perfect.

The really high temp stuff is water based ceramic is fragile and doesn't hold up to use.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    J-B Weld is a two part epoxy But you want the original Twin Tube SKU: B265S formula that sets overnight and takes 15-24 hours to fully cure . The slow curing formula develops more holding strength and will resist heat up to 550 degrees . Avoid the Quick Setting ... looks similar but sets in 6 mins. and fully cures in 4-6 hours ... Not Worth Squat ...Do Not Use The 6 minute J-B Weld on moulds . Clean both surfaces , rough them up a little , use plenty of J-B Weld and let fully cure before applying any heat .
    Yes , it sticks to wood and just about everything else .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I attach my HP handles by drilling and tapping for a 4-40 countersunk screw. The side of the knob is countersunk to accomodate the screw head. When attached, fill the countersink hole with some type of removable epoxy and sand smooth or lead will adhere and burn your hand when removing knob. It stays that way./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

A little bit off topic, but the HB minnie ball molds from Lyman. Do they have the same mold number and just change the length of the plug to change the weight of the minnie ball? I'm asking because I have one (457213)OS that says it's supposed to throw a 510 gr projo, but it weighs out @ 420-425 gr. That's w/ pure lead, and should come out heavier if anything I thought. All I can come up w/ is either they change the plug out to change weight, or someone put the wrong plug back in this one. What do ya think?