Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Need Sling Install Tutorial

Need Sling Install Tutorial

Question regarding the process to install a front swivel on my 1946 Win 94. The attached image presents the advice needed, but is there more? Do I remove the spring assembly before sliding forward? What might 'hand-grenade" on me?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2300.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	293419

Boolit Bub
    Remove front sight cover. Remove band and magazine plug screws. Be careful plug and spring don't fly out of tube. Remove plug, spring and follower from tube. Slide the mag tube out of hand guard. Install swivel on tube from rear and reverse to assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Remove front sight cover. Remove band and magazine plug screws. Be careful plug and spring don't fly out of tube. Remove plug, spring and follower from tube. Slide the mag tube out of hand guard. Install swivel on tube from rear and reverse to assemble.
    OK clear enough and thanks. From working on old cars I’ve learned that things often press off only one direction. Can I slide cover off either toward front or back?

Boolit Grand Master
    Look for the grooves the cover rides in. If they go all the way to the end of the ramp, you can slide it off that way. I don't have one immediately to hand to make sure.

Also I would put some rosin under the sling swivel clamp on the magazine tube, that style is notorious for sliding.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DK'dUranium View Post
    OK clear enough and thanks. From working on old cars I’ve learned that things often press off only one direction. Can I slide cover off either toward front or back?
    I forgot to delete that step when I edited my comment. You probably won't need to remove the front sight cover. Only if you need to remove the front band, but you shouldn't need to do that just to slide the tube forward.

Where is the Barrel Band on the fore end? That is where the sling swivel should be located.

Look here to see pic of install. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...unt-with-30-30

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

FWIW, since the magazine has no taper, the ring can be slid on from the front after backing out the screw, removing the forward magazine band, and (maybe) the front sight try sliding it on B 4 removing the front sight - you may get lucky.

The screw that holds the loop to the ring also bears against the magazine tube to secure it in place.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Grease the barrel before removing the barrel band. Some barrel bands are quite tight and can scratch the barrel when removed. The Grov-tec or Uncle Mike barrel bands that tighten around the magazine tube can be placed where you find most comfortable or convenient. The Win 94/Marlin 336 specific models do have a thinned area that goes against the barrel, friction and tightening the screw that clamps the split ring usually holds it in place, but a little purple or blue Loctite under the ring helps keep things in place. I put my front sling band a little forward, the rifle will ride a litte lower when ducking under stuff with muzzle up and muzzle down under left shoulder(if right-handed) can be swung into action very fast when first in line or traveling alone. Don't let it point at your toes.

Hi Gents. OP here with a conclusion to this thread. Thanks to everyone for your insights, but I did have to travel down Plan B: I could not slide the magazine forward to install the one-piece swivel, because the screw securing the front barrel band is stuck for the ages. Spent some time with it to no avail. Therefore I opted for what I should have done all along, using a two-piece Grovtec design. High points to Grovtec's quality, BTW. To augment the swivel's ability to stay put I attached thin strips of black electrician's tape to the swivel, with the sticky side toward the swivel. The soft plastic so far appears to be providing good purchase against the steel. I attached my gun show sling with it's slightly aged appearance matching that old rifle, and I am ready for the woods!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	294242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	294243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2333.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	294244

Good choice. Mine (like that) only needed a bit of filing to clear all my different sling swivels.
    A drop of crazy glue before tightening and it's been there for ten years so far. A sling on a serious hunting rifle is a no- brainer in my opinion and experience.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DK'dUranium View Post
    Hi Gents. OP here with a conclusion to this thread. Thanks to everyone for your insights, but I did have to travel down Plan B: I could not slide the magazine forward to install the one-piece swivel, because the screw securing the front barrel band is stuck for the ages. Spent some time with it to no avail. Therefore I opted for what I should have done all along, using a two-piece Grovtec design. High points to Grovtec's quality, BTW. To augment the swivel's ability to stay put I attached thin strips of black electrician's tape to the swivel, with the sticky side toward the swivel. The soft plastic so far appears to be providing good purchase against the steel. I attached my gun show sling with it's slightly aged appearance matching that old rifle, and I am ready for the woods!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	294242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	294243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2333.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	294244
    You saved yourself some grief. I used a Judd swivel for years as per your first illustration, and it did a pretty good job of marking up the magazine tube.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Nice job !

FWIW, someone can also mount a sling w/o swivel loops, too:

I keep this sling in a coat or haversack pocket when the rifle's not hanging off my shoulder....

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride