Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Cyl Throat Reaming

Boolit Buddy

Cyl Throat Reaming

429 drops right thru all but 2 cylinders on my SBH. Those 2 I can just flick my wrist and they drop out.

430 takes significant pressure to get thru any of them. (My sizer leaves some spots 4304)

My barrel slugs at 429 when I pushed all the way thru it.

Should I uniform my cylinders at 430? Is that something any machinist could handle, or a gunsmith would be better?

Thanks
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Buddy
    Look for the member - DougGuy

Vendor Sponsor

I normally hone 44 caliber cylinders to .4315" for use with .431" boolits. On occasion I get a request to hone .4305" for use with .430" boolits. If they all clean up and finish consistenly at .4305" then .430" will work for you. Most size to .431" for the 44, but either will work well.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    mattd,, listen to Doug. He has fixed a truckload of cylinders for folks. Excellent work, fair pricing & fast turnaround.

Boolit Master

^^^^^^What Contender1 says!^^^^^^

Boolit Master

Received my Ruger SBH cylinder in .41 magnum back from Doug just last week. He honed the throats in it. Super fast turn-around. Doug's reputation precedes itself. Oh, by the way, he did a great job!
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy

Doug did a 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk for me a few years ago. Brought the pattern down to a remarkbly small group with no other changes.

Noah

Boolit Grand Master

Doug does excellent work, but I suggest you shoot it first. My FTBH has .431 (pin gauged) throats and shoots best with .430 bullets through the .429 groove diameter barrel. My Colt Anaconda and OM Ruger Vaquero have .429 throats with .429 groove barrels. They both shoot .429 sized bullets extremely well.....better than I can hold actually. The Anaconda is as accurate as my custom PPC revolver was.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I gotta laugh. I got in to casting for this silly gun close to a decade ago. Shot one box of jacketed thru it, and the rest have been cast. It has always leaded horribly, and I’ve burned a lot of powder trying to solve the problem. I’d get frustrated for awhile, move on and then come back to it.

Tried all diff sized bullets. Diff molds. Gas checked and not. Have even fire lapped it.

Have had an extended time away from it due to a table saw bite, and now I’m back and digging deeper. My timing is off. New pawl and latch coming for that. And the cyl is going to
    Doug after the new year.

I gotta believe that’s going to solve the problem.

I did just try PCd bullets for the first time. Sized 429 the few I shot did great at 30y. There was a bit of leading. Not near as much, but I only shot 16 rounds.
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    mattd,, listen to Doug. He has fixed a truckload of cylinders for folks. Excellent work, fair pricing & fast turnaround.
    He has done 3 or 4 for me and is going to get a couple more after Christmas....