WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple method to cut down cases?

Boolit Master
    I'll trade you.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    Heck I’ll trade you some 38spl!

Boolit Bub
    I'm working on it. ...but I was reminded by a forum boss they have to be 'meaningful' posts.
    ....so this one doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I use the Harbor freight cutoff saw to cut 5.56 cases to make 300 blackout
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html
    What I use for cutting 30-06 down for 8mm Mauser. Really thin cut might be a bit tougher than the amount I'm cutting off.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Also have a HF saw with a .223 brass to 300Hamr brass jig on it now. Works the charm. Wouldn’t be hard to fab up a jig to consistently rough cut 357 to 38 spcl but you would still have to use another tool to get them exact length and chamfered. Simplest thing would be to do some horse trading or get a lee case trimmer. I’ve a bunch of . 38 brass that I don’t need. I only reload .38 nickel. Just traded a shooter 210 pcs of 110 gr rn sp bullets for 160 gr .312 psp bullets. Only out 9.50 for s flat rate usps box.

Boolit Master

This short video shows the jig I made for my HF chop saw. The same thing would work for .357. https://youtu.be/7unEiiPN860

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest going to the helping hands section and ask if anyone could spare a hundred or so 38 cases .
    Then you could pay it forward by passing on some 357 brass to someone that can use it .
    A small flat rate box holds a pretty good amount of brass .

Banned
    thats what i use, but i'll make 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 6.5x55, 7.65x53 and others out of 30-06 brass

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    thats what i use, but i'll make 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 6.5x55, 7.65x53 and others out of 30-06 brass
    Yeap

harringtondav,

I sent you an email. I think I can help you out.

LaPoint

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    If you have a drill press get a Lee case trimmer in .38 spcl, chuck the case holder into the press, mount the cutter in a drill press vise, line it up and clamp the vise down. Put the case in the holder and lower the unprimed .357 case onto the cutter until it stops. Raise it up and chamfer the inside and outside with your chamfering tool. Play with your press speed some to get the best cut without generating too much heat. This is how I make .45-70 into .45-60 brass for my 1876 NWMP carbine. Cheapest and easiest way I know. Good luck.
    I chuck the length gauge and cutter in the press, Put the case in the holder and simply push the case up till it stops cutting. Goes a bit faster
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    ROGER THAT- SO TRUE!! I like that enology!

Boolit Master
    I too use 3 grs, of BULLSEYE in my 357 MAG cases for a load. not going to go into combat. and it will stop an intruder, he will not know the difference! was that a 38 SPECIAL LOAD, or 357 MAGNIUM load??

Boolit Mold
    Here's a jig that makes using the HF cutoff saw much more accurate. I found it on Ebay, and it holds the cases firmly for cutting and ejects the shell when the next one is pushed in. I reformed some 30-06 into 7.65x53 and used it to cut them down to within .020", then finished with a Wilson case trimmer. They make holders in many different calibers, and I used this holder to cut down 30-06 for reforming 7x57. They are available from elite3ddesign.com .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220109_154513.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	294447

Name:	20220109_154505.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	294448

Name:	20220111_080832.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	294449
    Last edited by gunluvver; 01-12-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Master

You are going about this wrong. Get a 38 Spl file trim die and a jewelers saw.
    Full length size with a file trim die. At the top give that brass a little trim with the saw. Chamfer and load normally which does include FL sizing the case. Don't forget to lube as the file trim die is not carbide.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 01-13-2022 at 12:04 PM. Reason: corrected spelling. I hate autocorrect!

Boolit Master
    there are lots of good ideas here,
    but it all makes me wonder how long is it going to take this time till things return to normal , or will things on supply side and retail availability ever return to normal, or what is normal-i guess when you go to starline and all the most common calibers are in stock.
    I remember the last big shortage of supplies h4350 was one of the last reloading products to once again be available. but if I remember correctly it took starline just over a year, maybe a year and half to get back to having everything in stock.
    ok folks, sorry for the rant and getting this a bit off topic, just thinking out loud here.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I chuck the length gauge and cutter in the press, Put the case in the holder and simply push the case up till it stops cutting. Goes a bit faster
    But then you have to mess with the case again to chamfer the mouth inside/outside. If you spin the case to make the trim, when you’ve done the trim cut just touch it with a chamfer tool and it should be ready to go. Whenever I do a repetitive job I try to make it as simple as possible and handle the work as few times as possible.

Y'know, you can do a .357 cutdown to .38 pretty quickly using a manual trimmer like my Forster. The trick is to wad up a shop towel or a facecloth into a ball and use that to turn the handle. With the wadded-up cloth you can put on enough feed pressure to cut deep, and finish out the trim in a dozen turns or less. The tool has to be held down tightly to the bench. I just last week cut down 130 .22 Hornet from 1.400 to 1.125 for a .25 Stevens project. Knocking .100 off a .357 case would be child's play.

Lyman and RCBS sell similar tools, do they not?
    Cognitive Dissident

Looks good to me, I'm going to get one this weekend. Ebay has sellers who made up 3D printed Jig / fixtures for this saw in many calibers. Search: "mini saw jig" in hunting.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Bub
    I have two of the harbor freight cut off saws.

One is set up with case holder(s) made by these guys with printers which are in expensive and the one I have is made for 300 blackout and functions fine.

On the other saw, I made a case holder 20 years ago. It utilizes the shaft from my Hornady cam lock case trimmer and can be adjusted very easily and precisely if you’re setting up for many different cartridges like I am. But the biggest benefit of it is that it pivots and swings back out of the way so your fingers are completely away from a saw blade… Not that I’ve had any trouble with my printed case holder, just feel more comfortable using the one I made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast