RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Had a great day shooting single shot rifles today with friends.

Boolit Master

Had a great day shooting single shot rifles today with friends.

Three of my buddies and i got together at one of their houses, to shoot rifles off his back patio. We shot from 100-300 yds. Two of them were shooting Pedersoli Down Under models, 45/70's, one of which I recently sold to one of them. These rifles shot well out to 300 yds as well. Another buddy had a Pedersoli Hi Wall in 45/70, and shooting PC 300 grain slugs loaded with trail boss, and using a Marbles tang sight did very well out to 300yds but after that his eyesight played out on him. I shot a CPA rifle I recently traded into, with the 45/70 barrel on it. The front MVA sight had a peep on it and I did very well at 100 and 200 yds, but the sight covered up too much at 300 yds for me to use it. I have 2 sets of sight cards on the way from MVA and will put a slim post insert in as soon as it arrives. I also had a Remington Rolling block with me, one made in 1990 by Remington, with a heavy sporter round barrel with a silver blade front, buckhorn rear and a set of Lee Shaver Seoule sights on the tang of the pistol grip stock, was like that when I traded into it. I am ashamed to say, it had been nearly 4 years since I had shot this rifle, dealing with various health issues and trading for different rifles, etc. With the Remginton I hit the 100 yd and 200 yd 6" and 8"gong pretty easily with the buckhorn and silver blade front. I was shooting 350 gr slugs I cast and sized, lubed, .458 diameter. When I went to 300 yds, It took 3 shots to get on the 12" square gong, painted red. I shot 4 for 5 on target after that, and the 5th shot went under about an inch, the plate was still swinging. I then tried some 540 gr Postells I had cast and loaded up, and was shooting dead center about 3 feet under the plate. I guesstimated hold over it, and luck shined on me as the next 2 dead centered it, and man did they make the plate swing, about tore it off its chains. It was cold and the clouds scudded in, making shooting past 300 yds about impossible. Our hosts wife brought out a big pot of black coffee, and everyone had a big old slice of Apple Walnut an caramel drop cake, that was to die for, still warm from the oven. We sates around and talked till dark, drinking coffee and an swapping tales. 2 of us had dodged death twice each in the last 4 years, and we talked about how much gratitude we had to see another great day of shooting and fellowship. I had a tear in my eye as I climbed in the truck and headed home. I have to get around on crutches and a variety of other physical problems. I am 59, and can still see iron sights and peeps, as good as ever, and my shooting is about as good as ever. I thanked the good lord for blessing me with another evening such as we had, and still being able to have some of my normal life back. Just thought I would share with my friends online, as I consider you fellers.

Sounds Wonderful !

Jedman

Boolit Master

Nothing better than shooting with good friends!

Boolit Master
    Especially when you can shoot in someone's back yard. Coffee and cake sounds great. Frank

Cast Boolits Owner

Fellowship is everything.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Glad you'all were able to get out together. I'm itching to shoot my guide gun some. Maybe before Christmas?
    Take care,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Koger, I wish I could have been there with you guys. I have 14 single shot rifles. I have to make a hundred- mile round trip to shoot them and that is at a range.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Color me jealous - my single shots that are used are on my Encor platform. I'd love to be able to shoot them off a back porch - not happening here in suburbia.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    You are lucky ,nuff said /Ed

I really like a narrow post of about .040" width. But as targets get further out a peep front insert is a real asset for me. What size aperture depends on the target size, and how the target fills the aperture. But it's definitely easier to center the target in an aperture than to try to sit the target on top of a post and hope it's centered at long distances.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy reading your posts. Merry Christmas and God bless.......................Curdog

You're blessed with great companions!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    Good deal! That sounds really good for the soul.