RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing lube alternatives?

Boolit Master

I spray my lube pad with cooking oil.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    STP was good enough for Fred Huntington when he was swaging bullets on his brand new prototype Rock Chucker Bullet Swage press (see how I worked in RCBS) , it's good enough for me . It's not the same as it was then but the only cases I've stuck with it were the ones I either ran 1 to many to pick up the over lube or I didn't lube a case .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by harringtondav View Post
    I'll have some 45-120 brass this week and am ready to size it. It has been a looong time since I've had my RCBS press on the bench. My lube pad has some goo, but probably not enough, and I haven't found my lube container.

Is there an acceptable automotive lube that will work? High viscosity gear lube, etc.?
    The absolute best resizing / reforming Lube to use is STP Oil Treatment . Clean off your lube pad and give it a smear on of STP ... I swear the RCBS case sizing lube had to have been STP ...it feels , smells and looks like the stuff . I've never had a case stick with STP or the old RCBS pad lube .
    You can also smear a light film on with your fingers or wipe a film on with a cloth pad that has a little STP soaked into it ...if you don't have your lube pad .
    Get rid of the Hornady One Shot ... it isn't worth doodly-squat and not fit for heavy-duty resizing jobs .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I needed to size some big cases a little while back, and didn't have any lube left. Spied a quart bottle of 0W-20 Full Synthetic engine oil on the shelf.
    I won't be using anything else from now on......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    .... I swear the RCBS case sizing lube had to have been STP ...it feels , smells and looks like the stuff . I've never had a case stick with STP or the old RCBS pad lube .
    It was - maybe still is? - STP. IMHO, it's the stickiest, gooeyest, hardest stuff to remove from hands and cases I know of. After I tried one of the waxes and finger application I tossed my STP and nasty old green lube pad; that was 25 years ago.

Get rid of the Hornady One Shot ... it isn't worth doodly-squat and not fit for heavy-duty resizing jobs .
    I read and follow instructions fairly well; used as directed, I've had very good results with One-Shot. I really don't care for spray lubes but I've done things like reforming surplus GI .30-06 cases into .22-250 with One-Shot and I don't think anyone else's "heavy duty" resizing is any more demanding than that. Fact is, I believe that any commercial case lube will work fine IF it's used correctly.

I never had a stuck case with STP because I always made sure I'd smeared a bit on the lower case, down where the side metal is thick. But I did have a lot of shoulder dents because it was so easy to apply too much lube up near the shoulder.

Boolit Master
    I spray canola oil on a paper towel and lightly roll each case using my fingers and palm, which also get a bit oily. Never stuck a case but I have experienced small dents if the film gets too heavy.

Boolit Master
    I love the Lanolin/alcohol mix. Just go light, a couple of spritz’s on 50 or so rifle cases of any size in a plastic container, roll them around for half a minute, let the alcohol flash off and your good to go. Clean it off afterwards in my wet tumbler with a small squirt of Dawn and tumble for half hour. And the nice side effect of how good the lanolin is for your hands after handling the brass. Just make sure it’s anhydrous lanolin, and use Heat gas treatment in the red bottle for your alcohol, and don’t over apply it to avoid dents in the shoulders.