RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ((( cwd )))

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Prions are radioactive for deer
    yes they stay in the ground and are contained in plants
    as far as eating them unknown its hard to say for sure how many have actually been consumed but
    since the introduction of CWD into our state I have had all deer I harvest tested and this is the first time I got a positive test result
    its a shame and a crime to me that this happened makes me wonder about hunting deer anymore
    I worry that if people shy away from hunting them that CWD will spread even faster. I think mass culling in areas that are testing positive would be beneficial in the long term herd health but I doubt the conservation departments would ever go for something like that. You would have to clear them out and then limit hunting in those areas for years to allow the herd to recover. But it would be a moot point if the game ranches that seem to be the epicenter of the outbreaks continue as they have.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I worry that if people shy away from hunting them that CWD will spread even faster. I think mass culling in areas that are testing positive would be beneficial in the long term herd health but I doubt the conservation departments would ever go for something like that. You would have to clear them out and then limit hunting in those areas for years to allow the herd to recover. But it would be a moot point if the game ranches that seem to be the epicenter of the outbreaks continue as they have.
    Minnesota is a good case study for this reason. They did not get CWD like a lot of other places. While Wisconsin got it pretty bad, Minnesota hardly had anything. They have taken an excessively aggressive approach. When CWD was detected in a roadkilled deer (zero by hunters, despite mandatory testing), in the SE Rochester area, they had a special season. First they allowed hunters to kill all they wanted in a special late season. Later the state hired shooters to kill all they could.

Up until that point, CWD was only in a couple of areas. The vast majority were farm deer. You could kill every single wild deer, and CWD would still exist if deer are still farmed. Why these farms can't manage it, I do not know. It isn't getting better. In 2017 a farm in Wisconsin sent 400 infected deer to seven states.

At this point CWD has been around for what, 50 years? It's not going away. Zero humans in all that time have ever contracted it, it is only a detriment to the wild deer population. Hunters are largely doing what they can. It's a shame the farms are not doing a better job.

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked it up, Maple Hill Farms did it AGAIN. Sending CWD infected deer to multiple states. The owner is crying her business is going to fail since they is now in quarantine. Well no ****, sherlock. If you have any decency, shoot every one of those deer, and go into a profession you dont suck at.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    its a shame and a crime to me that this happened makes me wonder about hunting deer anymore
    WE,
    I have been thinking the same way. But I am 71, so any long term effects are less of a concern. I would not risk feeding venison to our kids and grandkids unless it is tested.

I enjoy the comradery of deer camp, but the cost/lb it makes no sense. There was a thread about a $.12 deer...just wishful thinking. But folks will rationalize anything. I suppose if someone poaches off their back porch (not aware of any place you can kill deer without a license), and not sight in their gun, they could harvest a deer for $.12. My last doe cost about $4/lb... maybe more.

But we are having backstraps tonight for dinner...YUM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    WE,
    I have been thinking the same way. But I am 71, so any long term effects are less of a concern. I would not risk feeding venison to our kids and grandkids unless it is tested.

I enjoy the comradery of deer camp, but the cost/lb it makes no sense. There was a thread about a $.12 deer...just wishful thinking. But folks will rationalize anything. I suppose if someone poaches off their back porch (not aware of any place you can kill deer without a license), and not sight in their gun, they could harvest a deer for $.12. My last doe cost about $4/lb... maybe more.

I don't know what tags are there, but a resident deer tag here is $15 to $40. When I lived in Minnesota, you could buy a doe tag for $8.50. Sure, there is the work of hauling a deer back to the truck, and then butchering it, but deer meat is dirt cheap. Spices for jerky and sausage is maybe $10. It's under $1 a pound for sure.

Boolit Grand Master
    They did have so called eradication zones here in Wisconsin
    did nothing to stop the spread (kinda like Joe)
    as far as tags I can get 4 antlerless tags a year
    as far as costs I could care less the fact that the deer I killed has to be wasted just doesn't sit rite with me
    your rite in saying hunting does more to stop this so I will keep after them, crying shame though
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    WE,

The cost per pound grows exponentially if you include every cost possible. Gun? Are you amortizing that cost over every deer killed? How about the vehicle used to get to the stand? The 2x4s in the stand? Ultimately yes.... everything in life has extra costs to make that possible. My car gets 25 mpg but costs of ownership goes way up if including oil changes, tires, belts and hoses, the garage I keep it in and license and registration. Those all are real costs no doubt...and could/should be factored. But I wouldn't give in to the direct or indirect costs alone. There is incredible joy in a successful hunt. There is (at least for me and my family) a defacto moment to pause and reflect on resourcefulness and making sure we use every single part of that deer we can....bone broth, rendering tallow, scraping every part of the meat we can....and that practice makes us more reflective on how we are wasteful in other areas. That changes how we live and are focused on being resourceful everywhere. So I have no prob being excited about a 12¢ deer. I count that not only an accurate win, but an honest celebration of a separate skill of mindfulness on waste. Are there other costs with hunting deer? Sure....but let's not be focused only on the dollars and cents to find we lose the incredible other values of hunting, reloading and resourcefulness...those skills and that mindset is invaluable. Diligence and hard work always return value...says so in the good book.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

A friend of mine years ago when we teased him about expensive elk meat (Due to fact he was buying out of state tags) said, "yes, it can be very expensive, last year when I was gone hunting my wife had a whole kitchen remodel done and new carpet put in the house".

My wife said something one time about the high cost of cheap meat, I told her, "Yes, it is expensive for meat, but it is really cheap for therapy".

Boolit Grand Master

What functioning adult doesn't already have a car/truck and a rifle or shotgun, or at the very least access to each? Those costs have nothing to do with hunting. The only expense besides licenses you need for the most part is whatever your state requires for orange. Ok, so you need to buy an orange vest. Deer hunting is great because it is stupidly simple. You don't need a stand. You can certainly use one, but I hunted a long time until I could buy a stand and ground blind, and now I find myself drifting from both again. Calls and decoys really don't offer anything for a firearms hunter. Deer aren't that terribly smart, and are easy to pattern. Hunting big bucks is a whole other game, but just hunting one for meat? It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Yeah, it sucks wasting meat. I've lost my share for various reasons. I wouldn't fret too much if you don't want to eat one with CWD. That deer was going to get sick soon anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

Certainly a shame but no crime involved unless you shot a deer behind a high fence in a private yard that was supposed to be certified CWD free. I would toss it but I don't need to shoot a deer to survive.

CWD testing is a double test done at different times if the first one is positive. It should be done blind so the second tester doesn't know if they are confirming or denying a previous test.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I do not trust “the science and the data”. If in doubt, throw it out.

I would stage it on my 200 yard range for coyote bait.
    I like the way you think, Don!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    Just curious, I get about 35-40 lbs of meat off a deer but I do not do a good job of getting it all. Just wondering what you more experienced butcherers get.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Missouri's first case was in 2010 at a fenced hunting ranch 15 miles from my house and that same year they had a kill zone set up around the ranch and let people along with conservation officers and workers try to kill as many as possible then every year since they have had special area hunts after season to get as many as they can, I have been in one of those special kill areas twice now because a deer has tested positive within 2 miles from my house. Deer hunting has went down hill severally when they have had one of those hunts for several years after ward and the spread just keeps getting worse they add more counties each year. It sucks, so I just don't worry about it anymore if that's the way the Lord wants to take me home so be it.

If your hunting to save money on meat your better off buying it as the cost of everything hunting seams to rise, as for me though I keep it simple, don't buy all the gadgets or camo and still have enough luck to keep me going.

Boolit Master
    Just curious, I get about 35-40 lbs of meat off a deer but I do not do a good job of getting it all. Just wondering what you more experienced butcherers get.
    Largely depends on the size of the deer for obvious reasons...but...in general I get somewhere 10-20% more than that (ie another 5 or 10 lbs or so off an average 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yo deer) bigger older does net a touch more and bucks more still.

I will say I totally get and understand not spending the additional hours scraping off every little thing. Butchering quarters, backstrap, fishloins and flank/brisket is enough labor as it is. Rib meat, neck meat, and all the trimmings that net out the few extra ounces has to be an exercise in intent because it takes along time and more often than not I'd rather quit and be done by the time I'm at that point....but it's good for my boys to watch me work late into the night to prove a point. Not everyone needs that lesson or has the lesson to teach to little ones....so absolutely no judgement or resentment to anyone that does otherwise.

Then the effort in rendering tallow and roasting bones and cooking batches of broth for days on top of that...makes for a very full stovetop and lots of work.

The broth turns out great and is super nutritional...the tallow makes good ingredients for muzzleloader lube and hair product for the wife.....and makes a great skin moisturizer (as if I needed any help being devilishly handsome to begin with )

Mostly, it's not out of need...but the lessons my kids are learning will hopefully stick and become bone deep habits in diligence...that's the main take away for me. The food and careful use of everything is a great side benefit but the value in those extra ounces or few pounds of meat are minimal in comparison to the pure principle for me, wife and kids

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John McCorkle; 12-20-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Prions, or misfolded proteins, are 100% deadly and there's no cure. Once ingested they may take many years to manifest symptoms. It is a very bad way to die. I would not chance it by consuming infected meat. Though it goes against normal hunting ethics, nothing is wasted in nature: I would leave that deer for the worms and bugs. Other's will disagree with me, and it is their right, but I feel that the risks are too high.

Boolit Master

My county in MO is in a CWD zone known for Deer infected by CWD. I have heard that there is little risk involved in eating venison. That being said I would in no way eat a deer that tested positive for CWD. I can't imagine anyone doing so, but as has been said each person can do what they want. I am planning to hunt in the upcoming "alternate weapons" hunt that starts December 25.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

WE,

id say at camp my deer probably cost 20 bucks a lb. or so. I probably spend 500-1000 dollars deer season and that doesnt even factor in what we spend on camp through the year. Add to that theres been years i havent brought home an ounce of meat. Now crop damage shooting is a bit better. We probably average a deer a day split by two of us but have shot as many as 5 in an evening. But if you look at one 100lb doe boned out is maybe 30lbs of meat split two ways. Cost us last year about 20 bucks a day for gas (before the prices went up this year) So that works out to about a 1.50 a lb. But then factor in the time to bone it and supplies to vaccum pack it and that is a bit light.

Banned

again as you know ive shot LOTS of deer through the years. Mostly does crop damage shooting. A 100lb doe about equivelent to a spike horn if your shooting bucks MIGHT get you 30lbs of meat. 130lb doe which is a large one will get you maybe 10 more. Now i take all the flank meat brisket ect but dont bother with ribs and truthfully if i really took my time maybe theres another 3 or 4lbs there. But when your looking at 2-4 deer laying on the floor to get done before 3pm when its time to go again you tend to be a bit sloppy. But whoever said half the deer live weight is meat is smoking crack. If i had to put a number on the avearge deer ive butchered it would be around 30-35lbs

Banned

As to cwd we have some in this state and the neighboring states but ive yet to hear of even one person that got it eating meat so im sure not losing sleep over it. Theres a dnr officer that lives right where we sometimes shoot deer. Right at the edge of the field. I asked him a couple years ago if he wanted to test the deer we shot. His answer? Its about as likely to find one even in an effected area as finding a needle in a haystack. He said that flags go up everywhere if ONE deer is found in the area and it puts everyone in a panic for nothing. He said in his opinion its more something the anti hunters are using to shut down killing deer then anything else.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-21-2021 at 07:11 AM.

((( cwd )))

Maybe cwd is being exaggerated by tree huggers to stop hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, Lloyd, I just noticed you already said similar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast