Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ((( cwd )))

Boolit Buddy
    I've butchered a few and most times you get roughly 40-45% from the hog dressed weight as edible meat. That's if you are good with a knife and bone out everything from the shanks to their ears. I suck at gambling so there's no way I would eat am animal that tested positive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lloyd,
    Thank you for responding on the useable meat weight of harvested deer. Your numbers confirm what I am seeing. We add in 10-15% pork fat to ground venison and that brings up the harvested pounds a bit.

I see crap on the internet about getting 60-70 lbs of meat from a deer and wonder ***!!! They must be monsters. I think they are the same guys getting sub-moa groups at 500 yards...LOL.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Lloyd,
    Thank you for responding on the useable meat weight of harvested deer. Your numbers confirm what I am seeing. We add in 10-15% pork fat to ground venison and that brings up the harvested pounds a bit.

I see crap on the internet about getting 60-70 lbs of meat from a deer and wonder ***!!! They must be monsters. I think they are the same guys getting sub-moa groups at 500 yards...LOL.
    Maybe they are leaving the ribs, hams, etc intact and on the bone…

If you spit roast a yearling whole can you count the entire weight? Haha!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    Throw it away. It's just a deer. Go shoot another. No way I'd chance it.
    Couldnt say it better
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    been butchering my deer for may years
    lucky to get 25# out of a deer
    many years ago a farmer told me it takes 3 deer to fill a grocery bag
    he may have been rite on that account
    I don't keep anything with silver skin or anything I wouldn't want to feed to my family
    picky, my wife trims after me she is even pickier
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    Maybe cwd is being exaggerated by tree huggers to stop hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, Lloyd, I just noticed you already said similar.
    you and i arent alone in that belief

Boolit Master

In response to Lloyd's post #39 regarding eating venison with a slight chance of CWD, I asked an employee at a CWD test sampling site what his thought was on it. His comment was much the same as the officer told Lloyd. To paraphrase he said that he felt that the CWD idea has been around for a long long time and little chance of contacting the disease. He'd eat it. I still have problems with it and won't eat it if it is tested as positive for CWD. I thought that as someone else posted above that this is a hyped up thing by the anti-hunters to curtail hunting in general. I can equate this to be much like the lead scare, which I place no creditability on. I will have my deer taken in the upcoming alternate season tested and will base my use of the meat on the results. This is especially due to the fact I am in a known CWD zone. Otherwise venison is one of the healthiest meats one can eat due to the natural diet they are on, and the fact they are very lean without much fat.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Lloyd,

I've got 50 pounds off of a deer before, but that's a mature buck. I'd say 35-40 pounds is more in line with what I see. I take the obvious stuff, backstrap, tenderloin, 4 quarters, and neck meat. I don't fiddle around with the little stuff. I might spend 10 minutes getting a few more chunks off the carcass, usually around the front legs and hips. The ribs themselves I leave. I also take the heart if I can, and tongue if I don't forget.

I'd say where people will loose the most meat will be boning out. Especially the front legs, I used to waste a lot more. Now I must get dang near double the meat off the front legs as from when I was a kid. The neck meat too you kind of get one shot at getting it, otherwise you end up fiddling around.

Vendor Sponsor

No to down play your thoughts I mostly agree but in NC as A landowner I can hunt land with MY house or MY farmed cropland with FREE landowner tags.. No need for a license during deer seasons. Now the minute I hunt someone elses or public land I have to have a NC hunting license and big game tags.
    Either way I will send money for scents, freezer paper, ice, Maybe clothes, some corn or salt blocks ect...,

This year even though I don't need it I purchased a lifetime hunting license. That way I am covered regardless
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've got 50 pounds off of a deer before, but that's a mature buck. I'd say 35-40 pounds is more in line with what I see. I take the obvious stuff, backstrap, tenderloin, 4 quarters, and neck meat. I don't fiddle around with the little stuff. I might spend 10 minutes getting a few more chunks off the carcass, usually around the front legs and hips. The ribs themselves I leave. I also take the heart if I can, and tongue if I don't forget.
    i figure that if i shoot a deer at 150lbs (avg weight here), by the time you are done gutting and skinning and cutting meat off the bone, then its around 40-50 lbs of cut meat. i have killed alot of older deer that weigh 220-240lbs(about every 3 years, does mostly, but there's a few bucks). i don't kill fawns and yearling deer, because i don't need 10 or 20lbs of deer meat.

Our Nebraska Whitetail does and smaller bucks will yield 45-55# of bones meat. We usually have 2 to none out, so don't waste much time on small trimmings. If I fill my tag, it will be tested, and then I will decide. I can't believe, as important as this is, there isn't more research communicated with hunters?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I can't believe, as important as this is, there isn't more research communicated with hunters?
    Is this a joke? Scientists have gone as far as injecting CWD directly into monkey brains trying to find any shred of possibility of danger. Yes, injected directly into their brains, monkeys got CWD. 0 human beings have ever contracted the CWD. That's the fact of the matter, black and white. You can find that information everywhere, CWD, FDA, every DNR, GFP, etc. The research isn't communicated because there's nothing more to tell. Do what you want with that info.

I regularly eat things that humans can get. Pigs and Bears for example can carry trichinosis. Most fish carry a whole bunch of parasites, you think I'm one to turn down a walleye? That's not to mention the Mercury and other strange things that can't be cooked out of fish. So put things into context, and is continued research of eating CWD meat really a good use of resources?

Boolit Grand Master
    you talk of the way man has totally messed up the habitat
    look at the walleye can't eat as many as you would have 50 years ago
    I mean meals per week or month there are advisories on fish consumption
    because of the chemicals that we have leached into our waterways
    weeds choke out some areas and others are devoid of fish habitat
    all for what a nice lawn
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    you talk of the way man has totally messed up the habitat
    look at the walleye can't eat as many as you would have 50 years ago
    I mean meals per week or month there are advisories on fish consumption
    because of the chemicals that we have leached into our waterways
    weeds choke out some areas and others are devoid of fish habitat
    all for what a nice lawn
    It's true, but this is one area things have gotten a lot better. Farming and other land management (including lawns) was atrocious in the past. I'm no farmer, but it appears to me that the fertilizers and practices used today are not only less impactful, harvest is just about doubled since the 80's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Maybe they are leaving the ribs, hams, etc intact and on the bone…

If you spit roast a yearling whole can you count the entire weight? Haha!
    yup id say there weighting whole front shoulder and probably whole bone in hind quarters to get the weights some claim. My real guess is they dont even weight it. Just look at the pile of meat on the table and guess. Keep in mind that for many the most meat they saw at one time was after mom came home from grocery shopping with a couple lbs of burger and a pack of chicken. Same goes for live wieght. Every year up here i get a laugh out of someone claiming they have a 200lb buck or a 180 lb or 210lb. First of all they have no clue how RARE a buck over 160 is up here and it seems like its always a nice even number. Very few ill say 203 lb or 186. Its always a nice number ending in zero. Not just rounded up buy usually add 30lbs then round up.

Boolit Master
    Cant add to but reenforce I read all I could find on this and the statement was made taht with all the deer killed over the last 50+ years since CWD was found and named-- there has been no record any one getting the disease by now there should a number of hunters that have the disease-- even with a decade development period ---many should be sick by now as it has been 5 decades. we are in far more danger smoking and dipping, etc. having said that I do not like it-- but again many things we ingest commonly can have long term problems -- this is there but there seems to be no risk.. just leave spine brain head etc alone...

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    What caliber and Boolit did you shoot that (((CWD))) with? After all this is, "Hunting with CB's"
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master
    I wish I could go out and shoot another one with a rifle
    however the only season left open is the bow season and I am limited
    as to my spots with a bow with the range limitations and all
    I don't use a cross bow so I am limited to archery ranges
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Not transmittable to humans, period. I worked for the USDA when this was thoroughly tested by the USDA when it was determined that BSE was a public safety issue. It's still a personal choice. If your worried, don't eat it. I would be more concerned with fecal contamination on my meat than CWD. More likely to get sick from that.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Not transmittable to humans, period. I worked for the USDA when this was thoroughly tested by the USDA when it was determined that BSE was a public safety issue. It's still a personal choice. If your worried, don't eat it. I would be more concerned with fecal contamination on my meat than CWD. More likely to get sick from that.
    Thanks for that info. I was a bit in the fence about it...not here in my neck of the woods yet but "yet" is key....it's in southern Arkansas and just a few parishes over from us here in Louisiana....so next year or two we will see impact here I'm sure

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast