RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useless Calibers

Boolit Master

Useless Calibers

We aquired 3 pigs that didn't make weight for some fall fairs and have been feeding them some leftover feed from our pigs and steers. That ran out on Friday so today was the day!
    After giving them each a couple of skunked beers from the summer and about 20# of out of date pastries we took care of them all at once. All three were killed with 1905 Winchesters. My wife and 14 year old son used 35 WSL, I used the 32 WSL. All fell instantly and none required a second shot.
    The 35's with a 180gr and the 32 with a 170gr - all cast over 4227. I happened upon a couple thousand magnum small rifle primers and have been using them for these calibers recently.
    Penetration was more than sufficient and the intracranial damage was incredible.
    The pigs are hanging in the cooler and will be cut up tomorrow evening. The meat is for church and community members that don't have a lot.
    These may be two of the "most useless" cartridges from history but we enjoy them and they definitely did the job today!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks for the post. Be assured that .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40 are doing the job still here also.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    you must have hit them between the Kevlar armor plates!!!

Everything has a niche.

It'd still be good, and economical for short range varmints, practice, and teaching someone to shoot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I don't think there are any useless calibers, but there are a heck of a lot of unnecessary calibers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I don't think there are any useless calibers, but there are a heck of a lot of unnecessary calibers.
    Well said, RustyReel! My dad (Rest his Soul) used to regularly voice, "There are 147 different brands of beer on the store shelves because there are 147 different groups of people who each know their brand of choice is the best!"

Might there be a similarity with shooters and calibre choice?

The only useless calibers are those you cannot get or make ammunition for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    And I'm not sure there are any of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    And I'm not sure there are any of those!
    The Asperly Aimless.
    I have never seen any ammo for sale and have never seen any data for loading.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    You are so right.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    Useless may be a tad harsh. But evaluating a cartridge by how it performs at 2’ might be.

IMO, there are calibers that offer little to make them desirable. But I am a pragmatic bastard.

I have never yearned for either of the calibers you found effective. Enjoy what works for you. But useless is different than undesirable.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    "Useless" is from Cartridges of the World. I used these two calibers after my family commented on the rifles that I was cleaning. I told them that they were chambered for the "most useless calibers" of all time! I actually typically use my great grandfather's 32 RF for pigs (also useless?). I decided that we would use the '05's this time. The 32 is the basis for the 30 carbine, the 35 WSL produces more energy than the 357 Magnum that is touted as more than adequate for deer sized game at reasonable distance.
    Since the introduction of the 350 Legend, I oftentimes ponder where these cartridges went. I wonder if someone released this series of cartridges in a platform with flat dark earth polymer and whatever indestructible BCG if they wouldn't be here still. Nonetheless, I enjoy them. No, you're not likely to find a box of factory ammunition on any shelves - but I can make it just fine.
    I've heard that you actually die twice, once when you cease to breathe and the second when someone speaks your name for the last time. I would like these cartridges to keep having their names spoken for at least one more generation beyond mine.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I congratulate you on using them , I have never owned those 2 cartridges , but have had some other long passed by ones , lots of cartridges have came and went and lots of ones are so similar and so close to others that have retained enough of a following to keep getting produced or made from another donor case .

Useless no , less known yes , popular is for those who buy store bought ammo .

Boolit Master

I wouldn't say it's "useless", but I still enjoy calling the .45 GAP "Gaston's Asinine Project"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Rather than useless, I think we have many redundant calibers. That said, it’s what makes life interesting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Well said, RustyReel! My dad (Rest his Soul) used to regularly voice, "There are 147 different brands of beer on the store shelves because there are 147 different groups of people who each know their brand of choice is the best!"

Might there be a similarity with shooters and calibre choice?
    yup my wife shakes her head at me. Weve gone to a few brew pubs (not to try the beer) and i always order a bud. That to me is beer not some peach flavored yuppy beverage.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-20-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Some calibers are more useful than others, but none are useless. By the way we use 22 shorts to dispatch our hogs. It renders them "DRT" and reduces the damage to the brains.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    How does a 22 short penetrate that cranial plate? Different location of entry? I've been on hog hunts where 9mm did not penetrate the cranial plate. Friend found out chasing one into brush, then came scrambling out when the round deflected. He switched to a 357 after that.

Boolit Master

We also used to use .22 shorts when we had a hog killin's. It is quite effective.

I do believe some of the old, oddball calibers would be fun and effective if one had the supplies to reload for it. Newer cars are way more efficient but some of us still love the old steel of vintage cars, trucks and motorcycles. It's no different in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    45 GAP, 223 WSSM, and possibly the 350 Legend.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast