Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: PC in Rough Bore?

Boolit Buddy

PC in Rough Bore?

in general I'm not much interested in powder coating but have a specific situation where it could help me, maybe. I have a carbine with a large bore and a mold that drops a bullet that would likely be the right diameter with PC.
    The catch is this carbine has a bore so rough it needs a good coating of lube to shoot cast decently. The rough bore destroys paper patches without that same coat of lube in the barrel. So my question is, will a bore this rough shoot PC bullets ok or will it shred the PC and then lead the crop out of the bore?

Boolit Master
    If the powder coating is cured properly it will not be damaged. Also make sure to use a decent powder like Eastman. Have you tried fire lapping the bore?

Boolit Bub
    Do you have any pictures of the bore? What do you mean by “rough?” Are we talking about pitting or gouges? One of my mosins looked like the cliche sewage pipe some refer it to, however some kroil and jb bore paste cleaned the barrel up pretty nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    When I say rough I mean corroded so badly a dry patch will drag when pushed though the throat. I don't have a borescope so no pics. I have not done any firelapping yet but may do so with this barrel.
    Cast bullets carrying lots of lube, after a few shots to lay down some lube in the bore, have put 5 into 3/4"x 1 3/4" at 50 ydsmore than once. That is as good as I can see nowadays.
    In order to use an "undersize" bullet I paper patched some and sized to diameter. Those shot 5"-6" patterns at 60 yds. I had a few PP loads left so shot them with a good coat of lube in the bore and they shot more like the lubed bullets.
    Maybe I should hang this rifle on the wall but it is a Mannlicher carbine and too sweet to not shoot it!

Boolit Buddy
    Hello Don,
    My experience with my 91/30 Mosin was it shot real bad with the jacketed that I bought to get some brass, the bore is rough in the grooves but has strong rifling, with a gas checked and powder coated 314299 it shoots 100 yard 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 groups all day long with well used eyes, when cleaning it I call it the bore that keeps giving haha dirty patch`s that is just get it clean enough and that`s it lot. I did try GG cast bullets (The same 314299) but they leaded badly the powder coat seems to handle the barrel condition better. give it a go what could possibly go wrong !

Cheers