Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinness Beef Stew

Boolit Master
    I had heard such wonderful things about Guinness Stout that when I was 20 something I tried it. It was 50 years later I tried it again thinking my tastes had changed. Nope, good thing it is sold in four packs. I have heard it can be used in bread recipes but not sure I want to waste the flour.

Some tastes are acquired and not everyone likes what everyone else does. It's what makes the world go 'round.

My brother thinks scotch tastes like turpentine and I love the stuff. He also can't stand ham and bean soup. I still call him my brother despite those lapses in judgement.

FWIW, using my substitutions already mentioned "our" s'market had beef shoulder on sale and I can't think of a better candidate for stew. I bought the ingredients less the celeriac. I'll buy that closer to the date I make the stew. But my point is that it's in the queue.
    Let's go Brandon!

that sounds wonderful.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Our version of the stew is close to done. It smells delicious! I'm thinking of adding another can of Guinness.

edit: It WAS delicious! To recap, It was beef, that I browned, then simmered in the Guinness for an hour (it was top round), then I added the celeriac, 2 carrots, 3 onions, and a bit more water so that they would steam for 20 minutes. Then I removed the solids and thickened the "gravy" with xanthan gum and added some no sodium beef base and "Better Than Bouillion" beef base for it's salt content. Then put it all together. Pretty simple. I'd make it again in a heartbeat. Maybe next time one more Guinness.

It wasn't as good as if I had used a dark roux for thickening and flavor but roux contains carbs and the veg in the stew is already high enough in carbs.

For those folks who haven't substituted celeriac aka celery root in a cooked dish you have no idea what you're missing. It's ugly and there's lots of waste trimming it down to the good stuff, but there's just no comparison to stalk celery. It holds it's shape and when you bite into it it tastes like celery with a texture somewhat potato like. Cooked stalk celery just isn't worth using in a cooked dish IMO.
    Last edited by BJK; 01-08-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I had heard such wonderful things about Guinness Stout that when I was 20 something I tried it. It was 50 years later I tried it again thinking my tastes had changed. Nope, good thing it is sold in four packs. I have heard it can be used in bread recipes but not sure I want to waste the flour.
    I intend to try a can in my keto bread.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if cubed venison would work.
    Don Verna

I would try venison if I had some. The top round I used was fat free after I trimmed it. You'd need to add oil of some sort.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

Made it as posted. I'd change one thing the next time I make it - this has you cook the onion and then add the bacon to 'brown' it - and it doesn't brown in the onion without overcooking the onion. Crisp the bacon first and then add the onion and it will work better.

With just the two of us I served one third, refrigerated one third, and froze one third, LMOL added more veggies and another can of Guinness - and this turned it just a bit bitter. Be careful adding too much Guinness.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Guinness nitro cans are tasty!
    Guiness Special Export is much better than the Extra. First had it in Central America and later in Africa.

Since trying other stouts especially Imperial or Russian stouts regular Guiness is too harsh for me. Drinkable but i will pick something else if available
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

cubed venison would work. It doesn't tenderize like stew beef and the various stewing meats because it's so lean and most cuts don't have as much connective tissue to soften with the stewing. I bet it would be good tho. I'm gonna make this. I love Guinness! Made a gingerbread cake with it for Christmas that was delicious.

Boolit Master
    This sounded great!! So I went and got a case of guinness and stopped at butchers and got some prime beef. Got home tried the guinness for taste, thats went things seemed to go south, next thing I knew guinness was gone and meat was on fire in the stove, smoke detectors went off neighbors heard it and called fire dept, which arrived and promply & kicked in front door before I could get up from floor where I had fallen when bones/muscle structure of my body seemed to have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure (maybe guinness induced). They were sure I was having some sort of allergic reaction and called paramedics who determined that I had in fact fallen and was haveing some sort of annureism due to slurred speech and limp muscle response. End result I will be appearing before judge for public mischief and reckless endangerment also a hearing for my abilty to remain independent or go to care home. Beware some recipes are more than just killer good eating!!!! LOL
    Last edited by brass410; 01-12-2022 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction

I made it a second time and, as Wayne suggested, crisped up the bacon first thing and that solved that problem.

I also experimented and added some potatoes to the mix but they mushed up and weren't very gratifying. No more potatoes although I may do as the instructions suggested and make some mashed potatoes to go with it. Definitely need to have some dense soda bread or other bread to go with it!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Vendor Sponsor

sounds like something I need to make ...
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I made it a second time and, as Wayne suggested, crisped up the bacon first thing and that solved that problem.

I also experimented and added some potatoes to the mix but they mushed up and weren't very gratifying. No more potatoes although I may do as the instructions suggested and make some mashed potatoes to go with it. Definitely need to have some dense soda bread or other bread to go with it!

--Wag--
    I added my veg when the stew was approx' 20 minutes away from being done. I also added more water to compensate for the loss of liquid. The same could be done with the potatoes. I agree about the bread addition, I just can't do it. I would prefer a crusty bread or a ciabata would be excellent, all freshened up in the oven to enhance the crust. Oh how I miss bread!
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder how the dark Modelo beer would work?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Ive made it with a lager and it came out pretty decent
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Not as rich as with the Guinness but it should go well. Any beer will enhance a stew, the darker and more solid the beer the better the stew.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    This sounded great!! So I went and got a case of guinness and stopped at butchers and got some prime beef. Got home tried the guinness for taste, thats went things seemed to go south, next thing I knew guinness was gone and meat was on fire in the stove, smoke detectors went off neighbors heard it and called fire dept, which arrived and promply & kicked in front door before I could get up from floor where I had fallen when bones/muscle structure of my body seemed to have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure (maybe guinness induced). They were sure I was having some sort of allergic reaction and called paramedics who determined that I had in fact fallen and was haveing some sort of annureism due to slurred speech and limp muscle response. End result I will be appearing before judge for public mischief and reckless endangerment also a hearing for my abilty to remain independent or go to care home. Beware some recipes are more than just killer good eating!!!! LOL
    I guess that was too much to put all in purple font! Well written given your condition!
    Wayne the Shrink

Going to try this this weekend. Also tempted to try it with either a barrel aged or nitro stout.

I used Sam Adams Boston Lager, made in my Instant Pot. It was awesome! My 85 year-old Mother who is pretty a particular cook, said 'You can make that again', and I will! hc18flyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast