WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contender in large pistol calibers

Boolit Master

Contender in large pistol calibers

Will the contender handle rounds like 454 Casull or 500 S&W
    anyone have these and if it will work where can I get one ?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Short answer I believe to be NO.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    No it will no work with the 454 or 500 s&w. It will work with the supermag calibers 357SM, 414SM and the 445 SM. The 445 SM out of the longer contender barrels is about what the 454 is in a revolver. The supermags are longer than the regular 357,41 and 44 mags. I have all three of thes and they are awesome hunting rounds.

Boolit Master
    Contender for 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt and 45 Win mag. It will also do the supermags.

You have to go to the Encore platform for what you ask.

Boolit Master
    The problem with the Contender, is frame stretching with large higher pressure cartridges that deliver significant head thrust. It tends to wrech havock on the weak frame. After a while, the barrel won't lock up correctly, because the frame will be out of spec. That's why the main reason the Encore was developed, to address this issue.

Boolit Master
    Ed and GB gots this... besides.. For me anyway, since 10" barrels is plenty in a Handgun, the 45Win Mag is about all I want recoil wise, and the 357 Herrett (35 Fireball) is all the Blast most can tolerate... Bigger Gun for Bigger Booms...IMHO
    Last edited by racepres; 12-19-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    You can go 45-70 in the Contender if that works for you.

Don't think you could pay me to shoot one in 500S&W nor .454.

Boolit Master
    I like the factory 21" 375 Win in my Contender carbine.
    I have a nice, accurate Heavy 38-55 load for it: 265 gr cast bullet at about 1750.
    I don't know if they made a pistol length barrel in 375W for the Contender.
    I did have a Bullberry SS, 16.5" barrel in this caliber. But, too much muzzle blast since it was ported.
    so I sold it, and kept the 21" factory barrel
    beltfed/arnie
    Last edited by beltfed; 12-19-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I like the factory 21" 375 Win in my Contender carbine.
    I have a nice, accurate Heavy 38-55 load for it: 265 gr cast bullet at about 1750.
    I don't know if they made a pistol length barrel in 375W for the Contender.
    I did have a Bullberry SS, 16.5" barrel in this caliber. But, too much muzzle blast since it was ported.
    so I sold it, and kept the 21" factory barrel
    beltfed/arnie
    Yes a friend had a ??? I believe 12" 375 Barrel... Not a favorite...

Boolit Master
    Contender breech pressure is generally limited to <44,000 psi. This is about the practical limit for the frame due to thrust pressure on the breech face. As mentioned above, the Contender can handle the 45-70 Government. After firing a few of the J.D. Jones 45-70 loads, I know what this cartridge can do with regards to recoil in the Contender. If by large you mean size, then the 45-70 reigns king. Shooting a 411-JDJ or a 375-JDJ is no picnic either. My 375 and 411's are magna-ported and the recoil is abusive on the high end. The 45-70 is an unported tube and the full power J.D. Jones (SSK) loads will make you swear off large calibers.

Boolit Master
    I had a 50-70 SSK barrel for Contender. 14" 4 port Magna Port. I wouldn't want to fire the pistol w/o the porting, if the porting helped,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    I had a 50-70 SSK barrel for Contender. 14" 4 port Magna Port. I wouldn't want to fire the pistol w/o the porting, if the porting helped,
    Agree! The 411-JDJ on the high end is BRUTAL. The recoil impetus and direction is different on the Contender frame/grip. My 45-70 has been relegated to shooting lighter 45-70 loads now. This gun is the one that peeled the meat off a friends thumb - down to the bone. He touched the trigger before he settled his grip and the hammer spur peeled down his thumb. Good Lord that was a mess.

Truth be told, my wrists can't take the high end recoil from the Contender anymore. Revolvers are still OK since the recoil is distributed down the grip if your grip tension is good (with smooth wood grips). Even the 454 Casull is shootable in the SA Freedom Arms revolver.

The 45-70 Black Powder loads are a real treat to shoot in the Contender. The recoil is completely different than with smokeless.

Boolit Master
    I love the Contender but had my 375x444 and 45-70 cut for the encore frame: save the stress on my Contender frame and my hands.

I hear people claim the 454 can be rough in the encore. If that's true imagine shaving off a bunch of weight!

Boolit Master
    I kept my 430 JDJ barrel. It shoots good w/ 320gr bullets and 4198. Recoil is brisk, but tolerable. I used for silhouettes a few times, but I was much younger. The 358 JDJ w/ 250gr was the worst recoil that I fired.

Boolit Buddy
    Contender as stated is a no go, but you can do 500 S&W Mag in the Encore frame which is larger and stronger.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at a large pistol cal like 454 or 500 in a carbine configuration.
    I thought I had read that the Contender was not a choice for these calibers.
    Sounds like a good.excuse to find an Encore ( which I currently do not have).
    I also wanted one.in 7mm-08 so...I'm on the search for an Encore..
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    I have a Contender carbine in 444 Marlin with a break, factory loads are not pleasant. I just purchased a 300 Blackout carbine barrel from Match Grade Machine for my Contender. There web site list available chamberings for both Contender and Encore.

Boolit Master
    TC sold a Hunter package in 45-70 with an illuminated scope and a ported 14" barrel. They were fun to shoot with trap door 405 loads.

I have a 16” contender in 45-70 with a stock, you don’t want one, as a pistol, with even more recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have a 16” contender in 45-70 with a stock, you don’t want one, as a pistol, with even more recoil.
    I found the 16" 45-70 to be less brutal as a pistol. With a rifle stock it beat the snot out of me when sitting and shooting off a rest. I sold that barrel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast