MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Stevens Favorite

Boolit Master

Stevens Favorite

I bought this clean little 32 Long Favorite rifle several years ago, not realizing it was a rimfire.
    I read that several people had converted theirs to 32 S&W. I thought that it would be a fun project.
    The major problem is I have no machine tools so I handed off the project to a gunsmith friend who finished it for me.
    It took a while to complete, but I have it back now.
    I plan to hand load for this one as I want to keep the loads on the mild side.
    I have some brass but that's as far as the supplies go.
    I think I would like to find some boolits or mould of about 95 Gr in a round / flat. Possibly a Ranch Dog type(open to suggestions here)
    I will likely powder coat these and push them with a few Gr. of Bullseye or Trail Boss
    I will need a set of Lee dies and a push sizer .313 ?
    I would also like to find a peep sight to fit this rifle if still available ??
    Any suggestions from someone who has done a rifle like this ??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Favorite.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	293251
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

My only suggestion is; I have a Remington #4 takedown that I relined and converted to centerfire. I had shot it quite a bit with black powder ammo with no problem. I fired ONE round loaded with Trailboss and now the takedown latch is loose and needs repair. Just something to consider.

Boolit Master
    I did a bit of research and the original 32 rimfire is actually higher pressure than a factory 32 S&W
    I have thought that modern smokeless may not be the best. I intend to make loads that are as mild as possible that can still shoot to 50 Yards or so.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    My only suggestion is; I have a Remington #4 takedown that I relined and converted to centerfire. I had shot it quite a bit with black powder ammo with no problem. I fired ONE round loaded with Trailboss and now the takedown latch is loose and needs repair. Just something to consider.
    Bet new pins/screws and link would fix your gun.

Boolit Master
    One thing Ive noticed with Trailboss is casefull loads seem to cause a lyman sight to move ,no matter how tight the screws are.........Its noted by the makers as a very fast powder ,like Bullseye..............In any case,last I saw online,there will be no more TrailBoss,unless Hodgdon sources it from somewhere else.

Trail Boss is not a good powder to use with antique cartridge rifles. If your loading it to something like 70 - 80 percent of the case capacity the round is at least moderate pressure. It’s a fast burning super bulky powder and it has the reputation of being safe in all guns but in most cartridges it is a hot load for worn antique guns.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Bet new pins/screws and link would fix your gun.
    It peened the slot in the barrel that the takedown lever engages. Now the lever won't get tight. Need to build it up and recut it. Some day I'll get around to it...

Boolit Master

I just had a 1894 Favorite fixed with a new link and mine closes up tight with a feel of over cam. Got started on the project, but because of my wife's health issues I'll probably have to sell it. Even bought a new barrel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I did a bit of research and the original 32 rimfire is actually higher pressure than a factory 32 S&W
    I have thought that modern smokeless may not be the best. I intend to make loads that are as mild as possible that can still shoot to 50 Yards or so.
    Not strictly true. Some .32 S&W Long factory loads tested by Larry Gibson ran over 20,000 psi. BP loads for the RF ran about 10,000 psi.

The .32 RF chambering is dimensionally identical to the old .32 Long Colt centerfire. Brass is easily formed from .32 S&W, and fellow CB poster <tenmile> (Jack Harrison) sells the correct heeled bullets on Gunbroker for a reasonable price. His Gunbroker listings offer lots of good advice as well. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919311167

I have modified a 1915 Favorite to CF. I load 2.2 grains of Bullseye for it with Jack's bullet.

The older 1894 models are significantly weaker, in that the link is not as robust. Do NOT exceed 2.2 grains in those, and better to load 2.0 grains IMHO. (Keep it subsonic and you'll be OK.)

If you've already desecrated your Favorite by reaming the chamber to .32 S&W, use nothing heavier than 115 grain bullets and no more than 2.2 grains of Bullseye.

Unmodified boys' rifles I shoot using Jack's rimfire adaptor cases, using a 6mm acorn blank for primer. Jack talks about using nailgun loads, but I find these unnecessarily difficult to punch out after firing. The 6mm blanks are fairly energetic in themselves, so I load only 1.8 grains of Bullseye and watch the Chrony. Stronger guns, e.g. a Stevens 44, could be loaded hotter but why bother?
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-23-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    It peened the slot in the barrel that the takedown lever engages. Now the lever won't get tight. Need to build it up and recut it. Some day I'll get around to it...
    I'd just solder the barrel in and be done with it. That takedown design was never any good.

(Happy to report the my own #4 in .32 RF is a solid frame model. I'm still careful with it as it is near mint.)

I own a Hopkins & Allen which some unknown gunsmith fixed by reaming the takedown holes larger and driving in a solid taper pin. I might try that on a takedown #4 I own if I ever get around to relining its' barrel.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'd just solder the barrel in and be done with it. That takedown design was never any good.

(Happy to report the my own #4 in .32 RF is a solid frame model. I'm still careful with it as it is near mint.)

I own a Hopkins & Allen which some unknown gunsmith fixed by reaming the takedown holes larger and driving in a solid taper pin. I might try that on a takedown #4 I own if I ever get around to relining its' barrel.
    Most likely that will be the outcome when I get a round tuit. Got to build something neat out of it in it's next iteration. Sure is fun chasing squirrels with a 4 pound or so little rifle.

Boolit Master

Trailboss is a low velocity powder but it is not necessarily a low pressure powder.
    Rick

I'd simply convert it to centerfire, and use .32 Long Colt brass instead of reaming it so a possibly hot .32 S&W Long could eventually be chambered in it. I don't think it's worth the risk just to make it a shooter. There are much better choices to make a .32 S&W Long on, like a #1 1/2 or 32 Rolling Block in .32 RF converted to the S&W cartridge.

BTW for Favorite peep sights - Stevens did make a version of their vernier sight for the Favorite. It differs from the ubiquitous sights for the Model 44 in that the staff angle is not the same. Ditto Lymans. Both are unobtainium now. After years of watching, I finally found a Lyman on Gunbroker, and paid a stiff price for it.
    Cognitive Dissident