Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee makers

Boolit Master

Coffee makers

We’ve had every variety of coffee making appliance except the K Cup brewer. That’s where I draw the line, convenient or not.
    The last 20 years we’ve returned to percolators.
    The drip (Mr. Coffee) type seem to require 50% more coffee grounds to make a reasonably strong coffee. Daughter bought us a quality French press model but between the excess grounds in my cup and the fact a second cup isn’t hot enough I’m not impressed.
    Our percolator will brew 6 cups in less than 5 minutes, and it stays hot. Plus you can’t beat it for the aroma it releases while brewing.
    What method do you guys use?

Boolit Master
    Bought a Bunn several years ago. Never regretted that decision. Makes 10 cups in about 3 minutes and the last cup is as hot as the first.

Banned

Keurig K cup and not going back!

Another member suggested a Clever so I think I’m going to give it a try.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Been using a Ninja…..I Like It!

Moderator Emeritus

In the past, I've used Mr Coffee and other inexpensive drip coffee makers...they make bitter coffee, IMHO.

then one day, I was given a Gevalia Kaffe CM500 (they are no longer made), it's a drip coffee maker, but for whatever reason, the coffee isn't nearly as bitter as other drip types. The Gevalia uses a cone type filter, I think that's part of it. I like stronger coffee and instead of a paper filter, I use a Cone stainless steel permanent filter. Let's more of the flavor through.

I see these Gevalia's at Goodwill all the time. They seem to last forever, but when buying a used one, you may need to do a vinegar decalcification treatment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Bunn,three scoops of coffee=one big cup or a whole pot, keeps water hot,brews fast. I can’t do the whole pot thing ,one cup at a time. Kuerig are good…….. in other people’s houses.
    Mother had restaurants, Bunn for 40 hrs, Fire Department, Bunn coffee makers plugged in never turned off for 25 years.

Boolit Master

Percolator for the win , 12 cup stainless , only one for me , a regular perc for campfire and camping , but the presto electric is what i have used for years .

Have watched the cheap drips die on boats for years if it was not a bunn commercial they did not last , but I prefer percolator coffee over all .

Boolit Master

I use a percolator when serving multiple people. But, if it is just me, I use a French press that makes an 18 ounce serving. I usually have two cups in the morning and a cup sometime in the day after that. Since I make it to order, it's always hot and fresh.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    …The Gevalia uses a cone type filter.
    We had a drip type with the gold mesh cone. I’ve since repurposed the cone to drain my SS pins after a session of tumbling. Pins stay in the cone and the water drains out.

I drink mine black and pretty strong. The wife adds powdered cream and sugar and a teaspoon of instant to boot! Best coffee I’ve had was in Ponce at the Hotel Melia. They brewed it in a restaurant sized percolator urn. One urn for black (‘negro’) the other was C & S (‘blanco’). I think they added the cream and sugar before they brewed it.
    Not big on the creamer thing except for the occasional shot of Bailey’s.
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 12-18-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Moka pot for me. Works either at home or out camping, makes massively strong coffee, and nothing left over to throw away except the coffee grounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Then one day, I was given a Gevalia Kaffe CM500 (they are no longer made), it's a drip coffee maker, but for whatever reason, the coffee isn't nearly as bitter as other drip types. The Gevalia uses a cone type filter, I think that's part of it. I like stronger coffee and instead of a paper filter, I use a Cone stainless steel permanent filter. Let's more of the flavor through.

I see these Gevalia's at Goodwill all the time. They seem to last forever, but when buying a used one, you may need to do a vinegar decalcification treatment.
    I've been using a little Gevalia BCM-4C (4 cup) for about 15 years, since it's just me. The electrics tend to fail first, so I have ebayed some spares. Takes #2 Melitta brown paper filters. I fill my Nissan Thermos 14 ounce tumbler with an ounce of heavy cream and the rest with the coffee from the Gevalia - a half cup of beans and 16 ounces of reverse osmosis water. Some research tells me that Gevalia designed these to brew a little cooler than most other makers, 195F to 200F, which makes a better tasting coffee. I buy Jamaican Blue Mountain roasted beans and grind them here. It's the very best coffee I've had anywhere.

We have a Bunn and like it. Bought it used years back, to many years now to remember. i trid those K cup things in my office but not to my liking so gave it away..

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I enjoy a fresh cup of coffee brewing from the bun. We bought a commercial model has 3 pots. At an Auction a few years back. Love it when the hunters come over.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Master

We use the Keurig almost exclusively.
    The drip o lator only on occasion.

Banned

im not a designer coffee fanatic. I drink folgers and out of an coffee maker. Dont much care what brand. Dont need or would ever bother with a late or capichino and dont even know if i spelled it right. I drink my coffee black and dont want to stand a fork up in it. Had a bun for many years. Liked it because it was FAST. It just always bugged me because your paying to heat water 24 hours a day. I know thats petty but it just didnt make sense to me. when i was working it was great to have fast but now its not like i cant wait 5 minutes for coffee and my wife now makes it at night and just sets the timer and its ready when i get up anyway. Im a simple man. I drink regular coffee and id rather have a bud then some designer peach beer. Dont need a tesla truck my ram works just fine. Dont need a ferrari either my challenger works fine.

Boolit Master
    Key to strong coffee is the grind. The finer the grind the stronger the coffee. Just take a look at expresso grind. I grind my beans with a blade type grinder to power like consistency. Commercial ground coffee, out of the can, is coarse, on purpose. They sell more of it cause it takes more to make a stronger brew. The roasting of the beans also has an effect on coffee strength. The darker the roast the stronger the favor and less acidity.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Breville expresso machine that makes a great cup with steamed milk. Used it for 10 years or so. Next to it is a Mr Coffee 4 cup maker. Bought a stainless percolator a month ago for camping. It has been on the stove ever since, using it every morning. Forgot how good a perced cup was. we have a Kuereg as well which I don't mind at all if in a hurry.

I drink too much coffee. Retired so it doesn't really matter.

Don

I had got in the past a camping percolator to put on the stove , because the electric ones did not last long for me. I was spending more on getting news ones then just the camping percolator. So I stay with it , I was brought up one any ways . I did kept the pots from the electric ones and just put the coffee from the percolator in the pots of the electric and put it on a hot plate to keep hot. That way I know how much I got left and still have use for the pot. Works for me and if I needed to make another pot of coffee the percolator will not be tied up and can take the percolator anywhere . Works for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I just use a drip maker, essentially the same as a Mr. Coffee. I use a flat-bottom mesh screen because it doesn't strip out all of the natural oils like paper filters do. The taste is a lot better. The grinder is a burr grinder which is a lot more consistent then the spinning blade grinders I used to use. I have the burr set moderately fine and it's plenty strong. Finally, I buy a great quality whole bean from a local roaster who really knows what they're doing. There are several stores around town that roast on site but they screw it up more often than not and the coffee is horrible.

There's a Keurig in the house but gets used when time is short. Otherwise, it's just dang expensive..... Ugh.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast