Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coffee makers

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I recently experienced a change in my coffee brewing. For 5 years I have been a die hard Aeropress fan with the Metal mesh instead of paper filter.

At 24$ it seemed pretty reasonable. While looking at those I noticed these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@ 16$ it was even more reasonable. So in the process of testing these 2 new devices I discovered that I liked the last one best of all.

Also I noticed with the Aeropress and the glass carafe I had a dark spot of sediment in the bottom of my cup. But with the double mesh pour over filter I do not see this sediment.
    I've been doing something similar since we spent two weeks without power during Superstorm Sandy.

I put two scoops of coffee (I like a good Sumatran or Folgers French Roast) and 16 oz of water into a pyrex pot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrex Pot.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	306957

Bring it to almost boiling, just a few bubbles at the edge. Give it a stir, let it settle for about a minute and strain it through a gold mesh strainer directly into my cup - Basically I've gone back in time and am making Cowboy Coffee. We like it so much we sold our fancy combination coffee/expresso machine

I like the strainer you're using, I might have to pick one of those up

I have experimented with cowboy style. I heat the water with a corelle 6 cup tea pot. But it made a mess in the pot, was harder to clean.
    And really tasted no different than using the filter and a pour over.

I have 3 different filters of that type now and prefer the one linked. My backup arrived last night.
    Always good to have a spare!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

The last month I have gone back to Aeropress. The pour over made a good cup of coffee, but I hated waiting for that last tablespoon of coffee to drip down through.

With the Aeropress once I have all the water in, I seat the plunger and time 30-45 seconds, then press.

Just made my first cup of coffee with a Moka Pot. Flavor is really great, but it is stronger than I am used to. Seems like a lot more fuss.

Anyone else using a Moka Pot?

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Before I started drinking Turkish coffee I used a moka pot. I brew both over a small back pack gas camp stove. It's not for anyone who likes to put on their coffee, go do other things, and come back to a ready cup of joe. I enjoy this kind of coffee, but hey, I'm a reloader and gadget guy! If I smoked, I'd probably roll my own!

I have experimented with cowboy style....
    ...my reading about cowboy-style said to add enough coffee powder to the cup full of water to keep the teaspoon upright if you stuck it in. then boil everything_
    I've never had the courage , or enough coffee, to try
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

"Real cowboys never dumped the grounds. They would just keep adding fresh coffee to the pot.

Eventually even a 24 cup pot is going to fill up and be a 1 cup pot.

I never could see the sense in it.

I will say that coffee cooked on an open fire out in the boonies does have a special place in my heart. It may not be cowboy coffee but its close.
    And at the time it was mighty tasty. Watching the sun rise while a river flows by close, smelling wood smoke and tasting it in your morning cup, that's livin in my book.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

"Real cowboys never dumped the grounds. They would just keep adding fresh coffee to the pot."

That is what a wantabee cowboy would say. Real cowboys have better sense than that. You cant store away a half pot of coffee anywhere on a horse or wagon without making a mess.

Banned

question for all you fancy coffee drinkers. do you hold your pinky in the air when you drink it? folgers black in a cast bullet coffee cup thank you. ill let them poor columbians grind it. they need a job too

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP>>>

I will say that coffee cooked on an open fire out in the boonies does have a special place in my heart. It may not be cowboy coffee but its close.
    And at the time it was mighty tasty. Watching the sun rise while a river flows by close, smelling wood smoke and tasting it in your morning cup, that's livin in my book.
    In my case, it'd be called Indian coffee, thanks to my great Uncle who moved to AK in 1917 and him marrying into a Yupik tribe. I visited my native cousins in '97. During my visit, we went on a boat trip and camped on a small rock bar in the middle of the Aniak River during a midnight sun. My cousin Guy-Guy (his nickname) said a brown bear is less likely to mess with us in the river We setup a lean-to and had a fire all night. Coffee cooked in the can over the open fire and a fresh caught fish for breakfast. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life..."livin" indeed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using a drip coffee maker for the last 4.5 yrs. I used an AeroPress for about as long when I only made coffee on the weekends. Now that coffee is a daily thing, the drip coffee maker is more convenient. I should dust off the AeroPress and start using it on the weekends again.

Stove top and saucepan is how I brew coffee.

I like the old school ways.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234