Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-06 size .309 or .311?

.30-06 size .309 or .311?

I have a Japanese made browning 1885 hi-wall in 30-06. This is a scoped rifle, with a 28 inch barrel on the medium+ weight side. I don’t hunt.

For target shooting cast bullets, would this be .309 or .311?

I use .311 in U.S. made SAAMI spec rifles. Assuming they chamber i would start there. Then experiment as I went along. The critical dimension is the throat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

You'll need to see which one your rifle likes better.
    I size & gas check a 170 RN and a 190 silhouette at .309 and it works good for me.
    Your mileage may vary.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

You need to see which one your rifle will take. If it has a .310' neck then .311" is out. I have several 30 caliber rifles whose necks measure just over .310".
    A plain based bullet inserted in a cartridge OAL gauge backward will tell the story. You need a diameter small enough that the bullet will reah the throat of your chamber. You can use a jacketed bullet for such measurement but be sure to take into account the radius of the base of the bullet. A boattail bullet will not work for this.
    Rick

Thanks. I will measure the base of my jacketed bullets. Q: if I bought a .311 dia mold could I use it for both, sizing down to .309 if needed?

Boolit Master

The base of your jacketed bullets should be .308". I misspoke on using them for the measurement. Yes a .311" mold can be used for both. The it will depend on which sizer you use.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I have a Japanese made browning 1885 hi-wall in 30-06. This is a scoped rifle, with a 28 inch barrel on the medium+ weight side. I don’t hunt.

For target shooting cast bullets, would this be .309 or .311?
    It's generally best to size the bullet to fit the throat of the rifle's chamber. You'll need to make a chamber cast or do a pound cast. Do a search as there are multiple threads that cover how to. Some will make it sound very complicated and difficult, but a simple cast of paraffin wax will be sufficient.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

If I had to choose between .309 and .311, I would choose .311. That said .0005 under throat diameter will give the best accuracy all things being equal with they never are.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Super Moderator

The only 30 Cal that I size to .309 is for the 30 Carbine. Everything else 30 Cal gets sized to .310 or .311 depending on the rifle and boolit. Mostly .311 though.

Thank you for the replies. What I am getting from y’all is that it is about the throat and lead, and not the lands and groves. If those chamber easily at a good COAL it’s the right place to be? For that one rifle.

Boolit Master
    Yes, about the throat. The COAL is different depending on the bullet. I like a bore riding design so the dia of the nose is critical as well. For those that are not bore riding I like a slight jam fit when chambered.

I have a .309 sizer die and the finished bullets have a dia of .310. They work in my bolt .308 and my Garand.

And, yes, you should get a .311 mold so you can size down to whatever you need. Keep in mind if you decide to use surplus rifles you may need bigger dia.

Boolit Master

All my 30 caliber cast bullets get sized .309.
    I use 50/50 alox lube.
    I have never had a leading issue at this diameter.
    Accuracy has been good.

Banned

Slug the barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Slug the barrel!
    Lord have mercy! Have we learned nothing just repeating ancient and long discredited myths. The barrel groove diameter is an irrelevant number. It is all about the throat diameter.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Slug the barrel!
    And the winner is......
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thank you for the replies. It’s getting complicated and I am not there. At this point I am just trying to figure out what mould to buy. For THIS rifle. I am sure that things will evolve. Don’t need to know the ending yet. Just the beginning. So for this rifle I will buy a .311 dia pointed mould, 168-172 gn. The only issue is whether to size at .311 or .309. The target will talk to me first.

I still consider myself a novice at casting. Up to now it’s just been tumble lubed revolver bullets. My process is conservative, my tools are simple. I just wondered if there was a universal standard dia for .30-06 or each rifle was different. I have an FN .308 with a 20 inch barrel that may be different from the 1885. But this is my first jump into making rifle bullets. Keeping it simple and fun.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 12-19-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Having read the best sizing is no sizing--which must be true since I read it on the Internet-- I use a Lee .309 165 grain gas check bullet cast from Linotype, sized in a .311 die, which produces a lubricated unsized .309 bullet. Using a moderate charge of 2400 powder this bullet gives acceptable accuracy at 100-150 yards and does not lead in my M1903 and M1903A3 rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since you haven't bought a mold yet, here is my less expensive option. Get the Lee 312-185 for about $25 these days. Hornady .30 cal gas checks and a decent lube. I use FWFL, it hasn't let me down yet.

I got my Lee mold several years ago when they where commonly undersized, mine drops ACWW @ 0.3127". This lets me size it down to 0.311" without too much distortion. This size works in all of my .30 caliber rifles, although the ones I shoot cast in are all milsurps or .30-30's.

For just plinking and paper punching, 2400 or Red Dot work well.

Good Luck,

Robert

fn1889m: Here's an easy way to get a start. Fire a factory round and measure the inside diameter of the neck of the fired round. As the neck of the case shrinks a bit after firing for extraction you should be able to safely load a cast bullet to the I.D. of the fired case. Now in some rifles depending on bullet design and C.O.L. the round may or may not chamber. Make a dummy round and try. At least you'll know the largest diameter you can size your bullet to fit the chamber in the neck area. Gp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast