Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rifled 870, full bore Mihec round balls.

What you guys are talking about is called "Acceptable Accuracy." That is defined as the level of accuracy that will do the intended job of the gun you are shooting.

You don't need one hole groups to shoot pigs at 30 yards. Any hit with a Slug will probably take out the pig. I saw a pic of a Russian Boar that was shot by a guy's Wife with a O/U Shotgun. This thing was huge maybe 6-800 lbs and she nailed it right thru the shoulder and it dropped. DRT! Probably a Brenneke Slug or maybe a Lightfield as I don't think they were reloaders. But my point is that the round was powerful enough to take that critter down with that shot placement, and teh fact that the gun was a 3-4" gun @ 50 yards didn't make one Iota of difference to the Boar!

I look for Acceptable Accuracy or Usable Accuracy from all my guns.

I shot this one with my A5 and my Non toxic Slugs at 50 yards with open sights on a Hasting Rifled barrel. I think this is good enough for whatever I want to shoot with that gun.

The second group was shot offhand at 50 yards with my 20" M500 with Rifle Sights and Federal Low Recoil Slugs. I think that is good enough for anything with that gun.

I was holding my Mouth a little to the left on that group.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464943.JPG   100464934.JPG   100464879.JPG   100464874.jpg   100464735.jpg  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I found out that my BPI 1500 scale is way off.

So my 3,00 gram load has been 2,90 grams.

Instructions say to use 50 grams for calibration, 50 g check reads 50,02 and gives an impression of things being okay ... but 3,00 grams reads 3,10g and 5,00 grams reads 5,15 etc. It also does not actually calibrate per instructions.

Money wasted. I'm even happier with the RCBS now. And all my old beam scales...

Because of this,I made heavier loads than I thought today, RCBS dispenser reads right and I did 3,10 g loads... but my old BPI weighed loads had only been 2,90 g , not 3,0 so I jumped quite a lot at once. And there are 209A primers.

Oh well. Maybe I'm getting that 1500 fps now.

I just hate cheap crappy digital everything that we are being drowned in with.

BPI version of three grams here.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you sure the scale is off or are the calibration weights not accurate weight? Easy to check on a beam scale.

Either way though that is pretty poor. A guy shouldn't have to worry about accuracy error that will affect pressure!

Yes, I tend to like things that don't require batteries to work. Beam scales are fine by me!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Are you sure the scale is off or are the calibration weights not accurate weight? Easy to check on a beam scale.
    The scale is off. My new RCBS dispenser agrees with my five beam scales and with all these weights. And with other weights and powder charges ... I just had a stupid habit to check with the included 50 gram weight. Which shows ok.

EDIT: I think I will survive the loads I made now. Even though hotter than I intended.

But thinking about making , say , 200 rounds of 300 m 300 WM rounds with 158 Sierra, that takes 5,15 grams of N165. It would be 5,00 grams, NOT ACCURATE, and this load has a couple of decades of development here within a small group of 300 WM Tikka / Sako shooters.
    Last edited by Petander; 01-24-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well here it is, 1500 fps and still grouping.

I only fired three to check 75 m zero which seems to be hard to get right... after seeing the hits I fired two more , standing, to see what happens offhand. Bad things happen!

Depending on technique, bench zero can be different. I got no confirmation today, will try again, bench is getting boring. My white bead front sight covers the whole black bullseye so I'm shooting white on white in white environment...

1 1/4 oz @ 1500 fps started to hammer my right hand middle finger knuckle. This load is worth sending to be pressure tested. Fed 209A works good with such a big charge of VV 3N38,burns good.

Oh and these were once fired, RE-loaded B&P hulls.

Hot tip on shooting a Shotgun off bags.

Sit the Fore End on the front bag and squeeze the op rods behind it to prevent the action from opening during Recoil.

As soon as the Hammer drops it disengages the Bolt Release which allows the slide to move rearwards.

It will do this under recoil and spoil your shot.

Mossbergs work the same way.

Use a 4-6" Black Diamond for a target spot and sit the front sight directly under the bottom point of the diamond. Much easier to see the target and index the sight to the diamond properly.

I have some black paper squares I just staple to the target.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    As soon as the Hammer drops it disengages the Bolt Release which allows the slide to move rearwards.

It will do this under recoil and spoil your shot.

Mossbergs work the same way
    Seems to me you have brought this up before but it has just sunk in!

I've been getting mediocre to poor results using the Mossberg Slugster with loads that were good in my single shot. While it's no surprise different guns may not shoot the same load well, these were checked for fit and I would have (did actually) expected better results from the Mossberg. It now occurs to me that the gun is unlocking and self ejecting during recoil likely affecting group size as you mention.

This is what comes from a recoil addled brain!

I will take measures to correct this next range trip!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Federal has a 1 1/4 oz slug @ 1600 fps , I don't know what barrel length. But my memory says they do kick harder than these RB loads of mine, must be the powder. 3N38 is very slow. I have a few of those Federals,maybe check / chrono / analyze powder charge...

But I'm happy with my 20" barrel ,chronoed 1500 fps.

Some TKO here.

Last edited by Petander; 01-26-2022 at 03:43 AM.

Petander, try using a 6 o’clock hold where you place the bullseye on top of your front sight rather than cover it up.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Petander, try using a 6 o’clock hold where you place the bullseye on top of your front sight rather than cover it up.
    Thanks but I can't see the white ball front sight on white paper so I'm trying to cover the black.

I guess I have to be happy with 3"-4" / 75 meters from bags.

If I mount a scope I will 1) lose normal shotgun barrel use. 2) Start trying to make this a sniper rifle,get frustrated and throw away. Been there.

If I only could get a cantilever barrel but no, they are extremely rare here.

1 oz slugs at 1600 fps are Butt Kickers, believe me that's got me started down this road in the first place.

1.25 oz loads at the same speed will hurt more!

Also note that a .458 Win Mag 500 gr bullet at 2150fps has a TKO of 70! The slug is @20% more efficient at dumping it's energy in the target. The Win Mag will probably go clean thru and leave a nice 7/16" hole behind and dump the remainder of it's energy in the Dirt beyond . The slug would seldom go clean thru and will dump all it's energy on the target. Hence the higher TKO!.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-26-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    1 oz slugs at 1600 fps are Butt Kickers, believe me that's got me started down this road in the first place.

Randy
    Oh yes, me too! A 1 oz. slug at 1300 fps will kill anything that I need to kill and it's like shooting a 3 dram trap load. No rattled teeth......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Yep I'm not going to 1600 fps for many reasons.

This is still a "push", 3N38 is so slow it really adds to shooting comfort.

I wonder how much powder a Federal 1 1/4 oz @ 1600 fps has? I may need to find out.

Brenneke has two Slug loads that are in excess of the Federal 1 1/4oz load at 1600 fps. TKO 91

They are the "Black Magic 3" Magnum" 1 3/8 oz at 1500 fps TKO 94.

And the "Magnum Crush 3" Magnum" 1 1/2 oz at 1600 fps TKO 109!

They also have a 2 3/4" "Green Lightning Short Magnum" 1 1/4 oz at 1475 fps TKO 84 which is more than enough for anything well see in N/A, and the recoil for 1 or 2 shots could be dealt with!

The biggest problem with the heavier loads is that in a 7-8 lb. gun the recoil will literally break bones, so there is no need to buy more than one 5 round box, as you will probably take 4 rounds to your grave with you!

Something for all of those who think recoil is not an issue to ponder while their eyes are spinning in their sockets.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

I really like that "green lightning" load. It used to be called short field magnum. Recoil isn't that much different from the Brenneke classic load, and they do shoot really well. I shot one fine looking buck with one, right through the lungs, dropped on the spot. I prefer the classic, they generally shoot best overall, but my Mossberg is every bit as accurate with the short field magnum.

I have shot the black magic, I have a hard time believing they were loaded to 1500 fps then, this must be close to 10 years ago. Recoil was not horrendous. They did not shoot great. I never have come across the unicorn that is the gold magnum crush. 660 grains at 1600 fps, good gravy. I love the Taufledermaus video, the slug is a beast.

Boolit Grand Master

Those Taufledermaus videos are interesting from both sides of what to try and pure loco weed inspired.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I got 5 boxes of these "Tactical Home Defense" rounds. $8 a box. These are loaded to 1378 fps (TKO 62) and are just a little stiffer than Federal Low Recoil Slugs at 1300 fps. Just wanted something with a Brenneke Slug in it to see how well they worked.

Please Note: These are loaded in Regular RIO Hulls. just like I bought from BPI, Roll Crimped with rolled ink lettering on the outside. I found the same thing with Lightfield Slugs which were loaded in Orange Rio Hulls.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2245 (2).jpg   IMG_2247.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Found one on 75 meter berm, it had missed my trap and hit a rock after plowing some snow.

99 % remaining weight, expanded to 200 %.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234