WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Using the Whole Chicken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Bars here were all pickled gizzards... never understood the attraction to them... vinegar soaked hunk of pencil eraser...
    never cared for any pickled meat. Its like sucking on a jar of vinegar. About the only pickled thing i like is pickles. Cholesterol? Nothing tastes better

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Dittos. Folks wintered in and eating rabbit for meat would go insane since rabbit is so low in fat, it's called cabin fever. Once they start to consume fats they return to normal (I think).

I'm not going to go into a great deal of detail, but we've been lied to about fats and LDL and HDL. I started to study it due to heart disease. Common knowledge is dead wrong on the subject. Lied to by agencies we are supposed to be able to trust. But politics and the $ have corrupted the people who we are supposed to be able to trust. Who are they? The FDA, the Heart Assoc', food companies, the media (yeah I know, what a surprise that the media would lie). But the truth is out there if you dig.
    Why I only use natural fats in most of my cooking(deep fryer gets corn oil... semi natural...), butter, bacon fat, chicken fat(try this for fried potatoes!), and even beef fat. I have jars of all in the fridge and when I clean a chicken or trim a beef roast the fat goes in a baggie in the freezer until I have enough to render down. Render it, cool some, pour into jars before it sets up. Keeps in he fridge for a couple months or a year in the freezer.

I don't use as much as my grandparents did working the farm, but in smaller amounts it is actually healthier than all the fake fats made via a chemical process.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I watched my grandmother do it often, always good soup. I tried but I must have boiled it too long, when the back fell apart I was picking those little bones out every bite.
    If that ever happens again you can toss it in the blender, bones and all.

MaryB
    You need to try some duck fat. There is some flavor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    MaryB
    You need to try some duck fat. There is some flavor.
    I ate way to much duck and goose growing up. With 7 of us hunting it was a constant diet in fall and early winter. To this day I cannot stomach it, nope, no thanks!

Mary I understand your aversion, but for the rest of us... Duck fat is absolutely delicious!
    Let's go Brandon!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234