Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using the Whole Chicken

Boolit Master

Using the Whole Chicken

I'm not sure how many others do this these days, but every time I roast a whole chicken I make a pot of stock and use it to make chicken noodle soup.

Tonight I roasted a smallish chicken for dinner and now have a big pot of chicken noodle soup simmering on the stove. The smell in the house is amazing. Making the stock, I threw in some black peppercorns, a couple of bay leaves, and sprinkled some Lowry's seasoning salt in it. After I pulled out all the bones, the bay leaves, and all the peppercorns I could find, I diced up some Yukon gold potatoes, Alaskan carrots, celery, and one onion. For noodles, my family likes the wide egg noodles instead of fettuccini or similar.

I recognize that people did this in the past during hard times to make the most of what they had, however, I just love doing it.

It beats the heck out of the canned stuff!

We do that for chicken and dumplings.
    Cut up & boil the chicken. Take the pieces out, de-bone & chop it up.
    Toss all the bones back in to boil another hour or so.
    By then, the dough for the dumplings is done. Strain the bones out, season it, and put the dumplings & chicken meat back in to boil.

Yep, It's a little trouble, but I prefer that over the canned stuff I tried one time about 30 years ago.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I never understood how people ate Campbells chicken noodle soup. Just give me a glass a salt water, so I don't have to gag on whatever the floating oil gunk is.

The only reason most people don't make soup like that anymore is because it is more work. Chicken breasts are dirt cheap, so most people use those.

Boolit Master
    Well, I guess that's what confuses me. It really isn't that much more work. When I roast a chicken, I need to cut it up into the breasts, the wings, the legs, and the thighs regardless. It takes me about 20 minutes at most. Hey, I'm an IT guy, not a chef.

Once that's done, I grab a pot, throw the carcass into it, along with a bunch of water, the bay leaves and peppercorns, and make stock out of it. After that, the soup part is really just cutting up the veggies.

Maybe if I didn't like doing it, it would seem like it took a lot longer. It sure does taste great, and make the house smell amazing though.

One of the things I really love is that it's one of the few healthy things I can get my teenage daughter to eat! She inhales my chicken soup!

Boolit Grand Master

You just said it, it takes you 20 minutes. More if you count picking out the bones. It takes 5 seconds with chicken breast. Maybe a couple minutes to shred it up later. You get a more full and diverse flavor with a whole chicken and bones, but breasts are way easier, and still taste really good.

Boolit Master

Every time we have chicken or Turkey we save bones and make soups from it. I have always been prudent and avoid wasting - particularly food. I suppose it comes from Parents and Gand Parents and Great Grandparents that lived the Great Depression. I just find it normal.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

It's called home cooking from when I was a kid. We grew up poor and this was the norm.
    We did every thing we could to make things stretch.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Leftover turkey parts makes good soup too.

Boolit Master

I guess it all depends how/where/when you grew up.
    Both My Grandmothers did it. They raised families during the depression. Just like they never bought chicken parts, whole chickens to be cut up or roasted whole. My Mom never did it, but then she I'm sorry to say wasn't much of a cook. Dad taught me to cut up poultry when I was 7-8yrs old. Rabbits & squirrels too. I've been cutting up chickens for My Wife for almost 40yrs. She makes GREAT chicken and turkey soup.
    Has made duck & pheasant on occasion too.

But Yeah, I've had My share of Campbell's chicken soup. It's about the only thing I can taste when My sinus's are blocked up.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I do either Chicken and Dumplings or Chicken Noodle soup after a whole chicken. Same after a turkey.

I find I like a dash of curry in the pot for complexity and aroma. And poultry seasoning. Along with either cheap chicken bullion cubes or better than Bullion from the jar for really good flavor.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Using the Whole Chicken

Add a good splash of cider vinegar in it to pull calcium from the bones .
    When you serve, splash a bit of lemon juice in your bowl; it tastes amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have time to simmer the bones toss them in a food saver bag and vac pack them(use paper towels as padding for sharp bone ends). Save them up and make a huge pot of stock or bone broth(stock takes 2 hours max, bone broth 6+ hours and the bones will have started to dissolve when you pull them out). Then freeze the stock to use for soup in a hurry, can cube a chicken breast and toss in simmering stock after you cook any veg until it is crisp tender or tender, the breast cooks in 5 minutes. Quick Chicken soup!

Instead of noodles or dumplings I love wild rice!

Boolit Grand Master

I do the same with beef broth. Cook a beef roast all day in the slow cooker have the roast taters carrots for supper use the broth for beef stew vegetable soup and or beef gravey.

A couple ham hocks cooked over night in the slow cooker makes a great broth for bean soup also. pull the bones and add soaked navy beans carrot and onion maybe some diced potato simmer all day in the crock pot.

Making the broth or stock is the key to a good soup or stew.

Usedto be you could buy "soup" bones to cook down at the store.

Boolit Master
    BRAVO! Use EVERYthing, and waste NOTHING!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

A friend went into improving his pasture this past year. He put 400 chickens in a fenced enclosure and moved them daily. The improvement in his grass was phenomenal. Between the nitrogen and the ground having no bare spaces this field was 20 % higher yield than then others. I helped him slaughter and process about 300 of those birds. The taste difference between them and pen raised is incomparable. Most were around 5 lbs at slaughter though some may have hit 7 lbs. I boned the breasts, save the thighs and legs for grilling and stew the backs and necks. Gizzards, hearts and wings are eaten also, livers got tossed.
    I stew or soup them with carrots, onion, garlic, celery with the leaves and a handful of rice or pasta. Add some 505 Hatch Green chiles to your bowl if you wish.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Don't forget about that leftover Turkey carcass after Thanksgiving and Christmas .
    Strip off all the meat and freeze then use that Turkey carcass to make a big pot of stock , keep it in containers in the freezer .
    I add onions , celery , garlic and carrots the turkey and nearly fill the pot with water ...
    4 hours on a low simmer and you have a good stock for soup , stews , chile , Gumbo ...
    Turkey Gumbo is the Best !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I always do that with chicken, turkey, ham. I waste nothing. Now I'm in ketosis and can't eat carbs. But with the ham I strip the bone and add some shredded veggies and a pound of dry legumes of some sort, bay leaf and whatever else. Now I can't do that for me but I still make the stock and the dogs love it in their dishes with their food. Very little goes to waste in my home.
    Let's go Brandon!

We do the same with chicken and turkey. We often will make stock and freeze in in resealable plastic bags. I like to add the stock when making gravy. I put it in beef gravy as it mellows the flavor.

Boolit Bub
    Cooked a chicken all day in the crockpot today, then thickened the broth and served over homemade biscuits with greenbeans.
    MMMMMM Good

Don't forget to break the leg bones so you get the bone marrow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast