MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Need info on WC846T powder

Boolit Bub

Need info on WC846T powder

I got a call from a buddy who has 30+ pounds of "WC846T" powder in unopened containers. The word "tracer" is printed on the label also. I've looked in the few reloading books I have and not found any listing or load data or info. He thinks it's "military surplus" from the looks of the boxes. Does anyone have info on this type of powder or a lead for me to find load data?

Boolit Master

WC846T is WC846 with an additive to "Light" tracers more readily than the standard WC846. WC846T & WC846 are near equivalents of BLC2 so you should be able to use BLC2 data; but reduce 10% for starting loads as individual Lots of Surplus powders can be faster or slower than a Canister grade (Commercial) Powder such as BLC2. WC846 is the powder that was used in 7.62x51 ammunition (.308 Winchester).

For "Load Data" referrals your going to have to tell us what caliber and weight Bullet/Boolit. Look up BLC 2 loads as a reference if you have books listing it in your calibers.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    Word of caution. I bought some WC 846. BLC2 data was too hot for a .308 winchester. Acurate arms 2460 data was used with good results, starting out 39 gr. with 165 J word. Further research led me to "old" BLC@ data before a reformulation. The data as seen in manuals Pre-2008 is where you want to be!

Banned

most the 846 ive had about matched 335 in burning 844 was just a tad faster then 2230 but unless your the type that adds two grains over book for everything 2230 data would work. I havent had any 846 that was as slow as blc2 the 844t and 846t that ive had seems to be a smidge faster then the non t.

Boolit Buddy

846T is very similar to standard 846 for our intents and purposes. The noticeable differences are in that a tracer projectile is much longer than a standard m80 ball so charge weights are reduced a good bit in a T lot to compensate but all in all, its basically 846. Lloyd is correct in that 846 is a touch slower than 844 but always bear in mind that military powder has a very large acceptance range of variation from lot to lot.