Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cowboy Cornbread Casserole (Slap Yo Momma's Good ... but dont!

Moderator Emeritus

Cowboy Cornbread Casserole (Slap Yo Momma's Good ... but dont!

I saw this recipe posted somewhere and I took it and modified it to suit us....it is good and very filling....you can substitute venison etc for the beef.....

Cowboy Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients:

• 2 packs JIFFY cornbread mix (Use ½ C. milk per mix instead of 1/3 C.)
    • 1.5 – 2 lbs. ground beef
    • 1 can Rotel - small 10 oz size....your choice as to what type
    • 1 can whole kernel (drained) or creamed corn
    • 1 can ranch style beans - what ever type your heart desires
    • 1 cup shredded (I used Mexican blend)
    • 2 taco seasoning packages
    • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    • 2 tsp. cumin
    • 2 T. water
    1/4 tsp. dried cilantro mixed into the batter

Directions:

Mix cornbread according to package, except milk, then set aside.
    Preheat oven 425°.
    Brown ground beef, drain. Add taco seasoning, un-drained can Rotel, un-drained ranch style beans and drained corn. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir into cornbread mix. Mix in shredded cheese. Stir completely and pour into a greased 9x13 Casserole dish.
    Bake approximately 25 - 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
    Can top it with more cheese, sour cream, salsa or whatever your heart desires.

Note: If you want to put cheese on prior to baking cover pan with aluminum to keep from burning….otherwise add the cheese 5 – 6 minutes prior to end of cooking time.

You can top with cheese, sour cream, jalapenos.....your imagination is the only limit!
    Last edited by buckwheatpaul; 12-17-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Thanks, Paul. Is the "except milk" notation meaning use 1/2 cup, disregarding the package directions?

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Yes sir the only change is to up the milk a little...otherwise it is a posted on the box. Enjoy!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Rotel - which one? They make several types of canned tomatos.

2 ____ taco seasoning?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

Just so you know, JIffy is not a healthy choice for cornbread.

Jiffy is loaded with trans fats (the hydrogenated stuff), it comes as the third ingredient in the list so that means there is a considerable amount.

Ingredients Wheat Flour, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Sugar, Animal Shortening (Lard, Hydrogenated Lard, Tocopherols Preservative, BHT Preservative, Citric Acid Preservative), snip
    From the Mayo clinic:
    Trans fat is considered the worst type of fat you can eat. Unlike other dietary fats, trans fat — also called trans-fatty acids — raises your "bad" cholesterol and also lowers your "good" cholesterol. A diet laden with trans fat increases your risk of heart disease, the leading killer of adults.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/art-20046114

The body needs fats but there are healthy choices besides trans fats. You may wonder isn't fat bad for you, but your body needs some fat from food. It's a major source of energy. It helps you absorb some vitamins and minerals. Fat is needed to build cell membranes, the vital exterior of each cell, and the sheaths surrounding nerves. It is essential for blood clotting, muscle movement, and inflammation. For long-term health, some fats are better than others. Good fats include monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Bad ones include industrial-made trans fats. Saturated fats fall somewhere in the middle.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...s-bad-and-good

There are heart-healthy Jiffy clone recipes easily found on the net and they work.

Examples of foods high in monounsaturated fats include plant-based liquid oils such as:

olive oil,
    canola oil,
    peanut oil,
    safflower oil and
    sesame oil.

Other sources include avocados, peanut butter, and many nuts and seeds.

Foods high in polyunsaturated fat include a number of plant-based oils, including:

soybean oil
    corn oil
    sunflower oil

Other sources include some nuts and seeds such as walnuts and sunflower seeds, tofu and soybeans. The American Heart Association also recommends eating tofu and other forms of soybeans, canola, walnut and flaxseed, and their oils. These foods contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), another omega-3 fatty acid.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-17-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

You ever notice ... things that taste really really good ...
    are either unhealthy , fattening , illegal or immoral ... I wonder why ?

I'm glad I'm Cajun ... we eat good tasting food every day... it's a Cajun Thing !
    Sunday I was in New Orleans at a cafe eating white beans & rice , fried pork chops with a huge square of the best tasting cornbread ... it tasted just like Jiffy , I slathered it with butter and was it good !
    At least the rice was ...sorta healty !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

What size can of Rotel ?
    28oz or
    10oz ??
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Rotel - which one? They make several types of canned tomatos.

2 ____ taco seasoning?
    I use the origional version....but any will work....I've never met a can of Rotel that I did not like

2 packages of taco seasoning.....i make my own but will share if ya want it!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    What size can of Rotel ?
    28oz or
    10oz ??
    Use the 10 oz size can .....should have been a little more thorough in my post! Enjoy!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Just so you know, JIffy is not a healthy choice for cornbread.

Jiffy is loaded with trans fats (the hydrogenated stuff), it comes as the third ingredient in the list so that means there is a considerable amount.

From the Mayo clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/art-20046114

The body needs fats but there are healthy choices besides trans fats. You may wonder isn't fat bad for you, but your body needs some fat from food. It's a major source of energy. It helps you absorb some vitamins and minerals. Fat is needed to build cell membranes, the vital exterior of each cell, and the sheaths surrounding nerves. It is essential for blood clotting, muscle movement, and inflammation. For long-term health, some fats are better than others. Good fats include monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Bad ones include industrial-made trans fats. Saturated fats fall somewhere in the middle.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...s-bad-and-good

There are heart-healthy Jiffy clone recipes easily found on the net and they work.

Examples of foods high in monounsaturated fats include plant-based liquid oils such as:

olive oil,
    canola oil,
    peanut oil,
    safflower oil and
    sesame oil.

Other sources include avocados, peanut butter, and many nuts and seeds.

Foods high in polyunsaturated fat include a number of plant-based oils, including:

soybean oil
    corn oil
    sunflower oil

Other sources include some nuts and seeds such as walnuts and sunflower seeds, tofu and soybeans. The American Heart Association also recommends eating tofu and other forms of soybeans, canola, walnut and flaxseed, and their oils. These foods contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), another omega-3 fatty acid.
    Doug, You can use what ever type of cornbread mix you like. I tried it as posted and it was good....you are so right about Jiffy not being a healthy choice; yet virtually no bread is healthy.....I generally make my own cornbread and will do so in the future.....Like most of the members we are at the age that if it tastes good you need to spit it out....and yes I am battling my own demons but I try to eat a variety of things that are good for me but being from the South it is very hard to give up fried catfish; fried steak; fried potatoes; red beans and cornbread......I know that I am going to die someday but my doctor told me that if I stay active; eat reasonably well that I will die from something other than diabetes.....so far he has not chewed my rear end out for the occasional wandering....have a wonderful and blessed Christmas brother!

Boolit Grand Master

Buckwheat ,
    When the casserole is finished baking does the cornbread rise to the top and the meat and other ingredients form a layer on the bottom ? My Mom used to make a casserole like this , I was a boy but seem to remember the cornbread ending up on top and the meat ,corn and beans ending up on the bottom ... It were good and the recipe wasn't among her recipe boxes and I looked for it because it was a favorite ..
    Could have also been that mom put the meat . corn and beans in the bottom and poured the cornbread on as the top layer .

I sure will try your recipe out as it sounds good and I like stuff like this .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Buckwheat ,
    When the casserole is finished baking does the cornbread rise to the top and the meat and other ingredients form a layer on the bottom ? My Mom used to make a casserole like this , I was a boy but seem to remember the cornbread ending up on top and the meat ,corn and beans ending up on the bottom ... It were good and the recipe wasn't among her recipe boxes and I looked for it because it was a favorite ..
    Could have also been that mom put the meat . corn and beans in the bottom and poured the cornbread on as the top layer .

I sure will try your recipe out as it sounds good and I like stuff like this .
    Gary
    Gary, it does not form a cornbread top as it is thoroughly mixed through the ingredients. I do recommend topping with cheese a few minutes before done.....it is really a great meal! I amended the recipe and included dried cilantro in the mix....if you like to use it I just guessed at the amount and rolled it into the cornbread mixture just prior to adding the seasoned meat....have a Merry Christmas brother!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Gary, it does not form a cornbread top as it is thoroughly mixed through the ingredients. I do recommend topping with cheese a few minutes before done.....it is really a great meal! I amended the recipe and included dried cilantro in the mix....if you like to use it I just guessed at the amount and rolled it into the cornbread mixture just prior to adding the seasoned meat....have a Merry Christmas brother!
    Awesome !
    Have amended the recipe ... cheese in mix and a little cheese on top... Yes , a little cilantro ...
    you know this is going to be better than what my Mom made ... Thanks for posting it !

Merry Christmas
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"