Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 BP shopping list ?

Boolit Master

I find weighed and measured in my muzzle loaders dipper are different , so I do not worry about if it is getting the full 70 or 90 or whatever each caliber is called , if it shoots to point of aim , gives good groups and is enjoyable I am happy .

I would like to be close enough to shop at places like Track of the wolf , but the internet gives me the chance to get it without going out .

Boolit Master
    Well, I will keep it simple at first. Weigh out a charge, vibrate it down and use a wad to offer some compression. Far as I can tell, BPCR lube is designed to keep the fouling soft and manageable. I can whip up a batch of Emmert's and pan lube some. My 22" bbl should be quite easy to keep clean.

Boolit Master

It should mine wipe right out and clean up with water , go have some fun , RCBS just sent a email a couple weeks ago about their black powder measures being in stock .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    IJ, hopefully it will I could never get better than 5” at 100 with it. If the 405 HB doesn’t work, I’d try the Lee flat based 405 or RCBS’s 405 grain gas checked
    I modified that mold some ......maybe I made it better?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86 chiappa first try.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	293215
    This the first seven shots out of a brand new chiappa 86 with that boolit over blackpowder and a HDPEwad - the stray high and left was first (fouler)
    then the three shot low - walked up for a looksee

then back and fired the higher three shotter
    (I have old eyes and a short attention span, if I settle down and let em rip I do ok but soon as I move off that bench .....I come back to it ....focus point has shifted ....or the gun warmed ..whatever ..proly somethin simple - needs me a coach )

marbles tang sight and factory front
    (I dont usually do that good regardless of the guns ability)

The mold has had its nose clipped a little to widen the meplat (as it comes the nose will fit inside a large rifle primer pocket - didnt like that for tube mag) and I removed the tit off the base plug so I could use an overpowder wad.
    I like this mold - why not ? it drops right around .460 - suits the italian barrels - plenty big lube grooves for blackpowder is the main attraction. Those other LEE molds the boys are referencing are smokeless molds - not enough lube! (for blackpowder)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-75 boolits2.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	293217
    335 grain version on the left 405 on the right (just made a replacement plug to make the shorter boolit)

I did shoot some of these boolits before I hacked the mold - cant remember but would not have persisted if it didnt perform ok - but hey 2014 and a new gun (Uberti 76) I might have thought 5 inches at 100 was ok ?
    Last edited by indian joe; 12-17-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Cosmic Charlie, as Wayne said, use a compression die and not your bullet to compress the powder. Since you’re shooting a single shot, you don’t need a seating die. After firing, decapping, and cleaning, prime without sizing. Then you can thumb seat the bullet. If you have a Lee loading die and Lee sizing die, use the push-through punch insert from the sizer to make your own compression die. From the seating die, remove the seating plug and insert the push-through punch and adjust as necessary to get appropriate compression

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12