RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case forming with Blue Dot

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I’d heard about the need to hold the muzzle vertically but deliberately tried to cause a misformed case but have not found one (yet).
    I think my having the horizontal vs. vertical issues was I was right on the edge of not enough powder to blow out the case. I already had a batch loaded up and the vertical shot cured the problem.

Continued doing on every subsequent fire forming I've done.

Worked for me and in these days, less powder is always a good thing.

The idea of the 270 then getting a full profile of chamber is a great idea. I've never heard it before, just hope I can remember it the next time I need to figure out a chamber. Probably not, but I can hope.

i received the 8x57 lee dies and was having difficult time expanding the neck due to i believe the long tapered expander plug , so i necked the 7x57 brass up with a 308 die and loaded 10gns blue dot and a 120gn cast x 309 dia. and popping them off with the pipe pointed up and the result was a very nice 8 x 57 case , then i loaded 13 gn T B under a 190 gn gc cast with a 210 match primer the final result was a great plinking load for a very old 98 mauser , thx for all the in put guys ,,, 2manyguns
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

With the weight of the boolit, I suspect your load would have had enough resistance to fully form the case when fire horizontally. Curious how accurate that load would have been with the boolit rattling down the bore.

Only did that twice, unintentionally, 6.5x53 in a 7mm Mauser. both rifles and ammunition out. The 6.5 was put in the 7 by accident and fired. First shot sounded a little off but hit the target close enough to be a pulled shot. Same result with the next shot. Then looked at the case after the second shot.

Then the light bulb came on, although it WAS a bit dim.

There are reasons you're lectured on keeping similar ammo/rifles segregated.

We just weren't smart enough that day to remember why.

And I miss the days I could go out in the back yard a fling lead almost vertically. You get spoiled with that kind of acreage. You do things like take a 22 with a scope and point it mostly vertically towards the back corner of the farm on a nice clear summer day and watch the slug disappear out of sight knowing it can't leave the farm.

It's an exceptionally cool way to waste some 22 ammo.

Boolit Mold
    Based on my experience using Blue Dot with heavy .45 bullets and shotgun slugs, I don't think you're going to get favorable results trying to fire form with it. It is inconsistent and very dirty when loaded to lower pressures. I don't see how you'll get it to burn well with light fillers instead of a real projectile. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGuns45 View Post
    Based on my experience using Blue Dot with heavy .45 bullets and shotgun slugs, I don't think you're going to get favorable results trying to fire form with it. It is inconsistent and very dirty when loaded to lower pressures. I don't see how you'll get it to burn well with light fillers instead of a real projectile. Just my opinion.
    fireforming went very well ,i made 40 cases( see post #22) and have now reloaded them with 13 gn of TB and a 190 fn cast pill managed to pt 4 into a3inch circle @ 50yds with open sites and near frozen fingers -35 c her yesterday
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Boolit Bub
    I have used 7 grains of Red dot with COW (cream of wheat) with a paper towel wad fired vertically to fire form 06 cases reformed to 7X57 to blow out to 7X57 Ackley imp. One of my buds asked why I was scattering my breakfast over the pasture.

2many if you are interested take a look at gmdr.com/lowvel. Has lots of low velocity cast boolit data using bluedot, unique, reddot plus many more in the 30/06, 375HH, 30/30, 45/70 plus many more. The 8x57 nor the 7x57 are listed, but the read and data provided are very interesting. I think they shot/ tested well over 100,000 rounds.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (6).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	294031
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy

I used 11 grains of unique with a toilet paper wad and cream of wheat to make .338/06 AI out of .30/06. Actually formed the 40 degree shoulder quite well. In my old age I got lazy and just neck down .35 Whelen....

Boolit Master
    after I put KLENEX / TOILET paper on the powder I push the case mouth into a hard bar of soap / IVORY is the best it goes out like a slug. soft GIRLEY SOAP, goes out like SNOT!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ScotMc View Post
    I have used 7 grains of Red dot with COW (cream of wheat) with a paper towel wad fired vertically to fire form 06 cases reformed to 7X57 to blow out to 7X57 Ackley imp. One of my buds asked why I was scattering my breakfast over the pasture.
    Birds need to eat. Around here they like their Cream of Wheat toasted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12