Thread: Whose design is this boolit?

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Whose design is this boolit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6907AC2D-5559-4423-B8C2-C1E8EBB5B05B.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	293162Any help will be greatly appreciated.Fellow cast boolit brethren, I got 27 pounds of these .3585” boolits in a deal a few days back, but have NO idea whose mold design this is!!! Lyman, Lee, H&G,Saeco? I plan to PC and size to .358” for some nice 38 spcl plinking loads!

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 12-15-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Attachment 293149

Adding photos will help!,,
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I can't open that attachment, Bz.

Boolit Grand Master

I get invalid attachment ... post it and I can probably tell you what you have ...maybe .
    And tell us how much it weighs ...that can make a difference .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

From your other Networking post, which did include a photo, the bullet looks like a Lyman version of the Keith, which they styled 358429. Lyman made mods, as do most others who want to offer a 'Keith bullet,' by reducing the width of the front band and making the lube groove round in later versions. There have been a bunch of makers, small and large, who have offered this design, so it's not generally possible to ID the maker of this one.

However, the squared lube groove of yours argues for it to be an early Lyman, or even an H&G. Nice find.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can’t open the picture either, but if you don’t have the mould, it really doesn’t matter. You have 27 pounds of those bullets to shoot (approx 1200 of them) so just look up a load for that bullet weight using your favorite powder and enjoy them while they last!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I posted the picture in the original post.sorry about that,guys. Weighs 170 grains, plus or minus a half grain.

Boolit Master

Attachment 293163 weight is 170 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 358429. Front band is a tad narrow but some cherries are that way.

Boolit Master

Thank you, gentlemen!!! I knew I could count on you guys for info. I’m going to use these for some “ thumper” .38 special loads. Got plenty of Unique, and Herco powder.

Boolit Grand Master

It appears to be the old original version of the Lyman/Ideal #358429 - 170 grain - with square cut grease grooves as Elmer Keith designed them .
    I am sure Hensley & Gibbs (H&G) made a mould in this design also so it could have been cast from either a Lyman/Ideal or H&G mould ... they would look quite similar .
    Whatever you do don't melt them down ... Elmer Keith designed this one for the 38 special and 38/44 HD !

For "use in 38 special thumper loads" YES !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-16-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

gwpercie, thank you,sir! I do appreciate the info. With that shape, it should transfer energy very well! Don’t know what speed I’ll be able to get out of that particular boolit, ( I killed my chronograph last time out) but I have a very robust Colt 38 to fire them out of! Not going for barn burners, but a consistent speed. Melt them? Lord, no way! Work is done already! Powder coat, size, load, enjoy! Thanks again to all of you guys who provided info.

Boolit Grand Master
    Budzilla19 it looks like you’re sitting pretty. A huge supply of bullets to test and the knowledge of what mould to look for if you like the results you are getting. I don’t think I’d pay the ridiculous collector prices some folks are demanding for the original Ideal moulds these days. If I couldn’t find a very nice one at a reasonable price, I think I’d go for one of the modern made ones from one of the better current mould makers… I’m thinking specifically of NOE for instance.

Which “very robust” Colt are you planning to use? If it’s the big old New Service frame, roughly equivalent to the S&W N frame, it will be wonderful. The Python (or other I frame size) guns are nearly as strong. You can really make some fire breathing, ground stompin’ loads for those guns and stay within safe pressure ranges. Go out there and make Elmer Keith proud!

Best regards,
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What color are you gonna paint the bullets?