RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley MK VI

They are certainly man stoppers. Lot of history in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 484E19D1-3BE8-4DED-AF7B-3C6294C12C5C.jpg  

Covet covet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    I got my mold today and got some bullets cast up. I measured one and input it into quickload to see what it says. Well I think it can't handle the hollow base calculations very well. It's got a place to enter them but it still came up really off. It said Outpost75s pressure tested load of 3.5gr bullseye would be at 23,000 PSI and nearly 800 fps. So it looks like that's about useless unfortunately.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find a Lee 1st edition (red) reloading book, it has good load data for the Webley mk ll. I like Blue Dot under the heavy bullet. I also use Accurate mold 45-262m, and have had Dougguy clean up my cylinders.
    Last edited by Drydock; 12-18-2021 at 12:17 PM.

You are unlikely to blow the cylinder, if you approach it conservatively. The worst thing that can happen is a bullet stuck in the barrel. Then you get a bulge and the value of the gun goes down the toilet. So I would start close to 4 gr of Unique or an equivalent load, chrono it and and go up or down one notch, depending on what you see. My RIC's case capacity is considerably less than 455 but the bullet is quite heavy. I already cannot remember what the original Kynoch design drops since I have not shot the RIC in a long time. 240gr? Could be that. All I know is that above 4.2gr of Unique the recoil becomes less than enjoyable. The thin-walled brass that I made from 303 cartridges shows no pressure signs. I can probably get 3 reloads out of it. So for my RIC, I consider this a safe load.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	293242
    This my Mk VI, a high number, post war civilian gun that was cut for 45 acp/AR ammunition. It has Birmingham proofs but no military markings, as well as a 4 inch barrel.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I was gonna ask if it had been established whether the round nose bullet "tumbled." But then I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSlnLBcWbHA So maybe not?
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    I was gonna ask if it had been established whether the round nose bullet "tumbled." But then I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSlnLBcWbHA So maybe not?
    We go off into that quite a bit on the stickied .38/200 thread. From what I've seen, the short version on the .455 MKII bullet is that:

1. It's hollow-based, and therefore somewhat drag-stabilized in flight.

2. Because of the hollow base, most of it's 265 grains are in the nose, so it doesn't want to swap ends on impact, like, for example, a tail-heavy M193 55 grain 5.56 will.

I thumped jugs and even a pumpkin - couldn't see anything indicating it would reverse itself even a little bit.

I DID manage to confirm on that thread that the MKI .380/200 bullet WILL tumble on impact, which was a bit surprising to me in that I had previously determined that the very similarly-shaped and weighted Lyman 358430, in trying to duplicate the same load, definitely does NOT tumble.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanka16 View Post
    I got my mold today and got some bullets cast up. I measured one and input it into quickload to see what it says. Well I think it can't handle the hollow base calculations very well. It's got a place to enter them but it still came up really off. It said Outpost75s pressure tested load of 3.5gr bullseye would be at 23,000 PSI and nearly 800 fps. So it looks like that's about useless unfortunately.
    Using the Oehler 35 PBL with strain gage pressure was under 14,000 psi by actual measurement, not a computed estimate.

Larry Gibson has published his data and methodology which is well documented and calibrated against factory loads.

I don't consider QL estimates to be reliable.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah that's what I meant if it wasn't clear. That it was way off with actual pressure tested data so I couldnt really use it for N320 data. I'll have to just wing it.

Boolit Master

Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing the photo. Another to add to the watch list.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj