Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating

Boolit Mold

Powder coating

Is it really as easy as it looks on YouTube? I’ve been thinking of getting setup to do this and just wondering? Also does it work as good as they say? No lead left in the barrel.
    What speed can you push before you have problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It really isn’t very hard to do. Just use a good powder.

I don't usually watch YouTube videos because so many of them are poorly done or give eroneous information, but I will be glad to relate my experience of the past 4 years. I would say that it is very easy, if you follow the instructions. I haven't had any leading or needed any gas checks for hot .357 and .460 magnum loads with my cast boolits.

1. Buy your first batch of powder from Smoke in the Vendor Sponsor's forum.
    2. (This is the way that works for me.) Place about 200 black airsoft BB's in a #5 recycle container. ( I use a 3# cottage cheese container.)
    3. Add no more than a tablespoon of powder to the container.
    4. I like to add around 50 boolits, depending on the size.
    5. Put the lid on the container and make sure it is fully seated.
    6. Swirl the container in a circular motion for a minute.
    7. Remove each boolit from the container with tweezers or wear nitrill gloves and stand it on a silicone baking sheet. (Forget using parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.)
    8. It's a good idea to tap each boolit on the side of the container to remove the excess powder.
    9. Preheat your toaster oven to 425 degrees and then put the baking sheet with the boolits in the over for 25 minutes.
    10. Size the boolits after they are cool and enjoy the results of your efforts.

That system works great for me, but there are many other ways that work for others.

Boolit Master

Largely yes. Minimal items needed many ya likely already have.

I have many videos on how I do it I answer all comments & am easy to talk to as well as easy to get in contact with.

Happy ta help. Merry Christmas!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not PC but there is a lot of information on this site and YES...it is easy to do. People I trust on this site have had great success, so I know it works.

If I was starting to cast, I would go with PC for pistol bullets and use a Lee APP for sizing. Will be the least expensive way to go and more than adequate.

If I wanted the most accurate cast rifle bullets, I would not use PC. I base that on two factors. First, one of the members who I trust has not been able to achieve the same accuracy with PC'ed bullets vs lubed. Plus, the last time I looked, Cast Bullet competitors were still using lubes...and they are accuracy nuts.

The only concern I have about PC'ing is the "fumes" from cooking off. Those who have done it can comment. The way I am set up, sizing and lubing in my basement works best for me.

It is a simple and effective system. Plus, not expensive to try...so little downside. Go for it!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It was easy enough to do when I started. The only problem I have is standing up boolits less than .30 cal, especially those designed for gas checks. I never tried batch processing with a pile of boolits, but it’s no problem to stand up my .45 cal. for my 45/70 that I do a lot of plinking with.

The most important thing I believe is to keep your powder free of humidity. I knew I was coating in a very humid environment, so I was extra cautious and haven’t had any problems. Squeeze all the air out of the plastic bags it comes in after taking some out and double bag it. Don’t ever put used powder back in with new.

Boolit Buddy
    I powder coat. I found my toaster oven on garbage day when I was driving through a neighborhood where someone was throwing one out. I managed to buy another for $5 for a buddy. Use non-stick aluminum for the tray and draw a trough or crease along the bottom so the bullets don't roll against one another. I use tweetzers to handle the PC bullets. Bake the bullets at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I drop mines in water. I resize later.

You need to find #5 plastic recycle plastic tubs. Maybe a neighbor that likes parmesan will be tossing some. You don't need to buy plastic bbs. styrofoam cup pieces work to add with the pc to build static charge. A tablespoon of pc for a small tub works. Shake the tub of bullets for 3min. Pour the bullets and pc over a screen that's onto a creased newspaper. Then pour your paint back into the tub. Use your tweezers to pick out the styrofoam and put that in the tub too. Then pour the bullets onto the tray. You can stand the bullets up too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    I don't usually watch YouTube videos because so many of them are poorly done or give eroneous information, but I will be glad to relate my experience of the past 4 years. I would say that it is very easy, if you follow the instructions. I haven't had any leading or needed any gas checks for hot .357 and .460 magnum loads with my cast boolits.

1. Buy your first batch of powder from Smoke in the Vendor Sponsor's forum.
    2. (This is the way that works for me.) Place about 200 black airsoft BB's in a #5 recycle container. ( I use a 3# cottage cheese container.)
    3. Add no more than a tablespoon of powder to the container.
    4. I like to add around 50 boolits, depending on the size.
    5. Put the lid on the container and make sure it is fully seated.
    6. Swirl the container in a circular motion for a minute.
    7. Remove each boolit from the container with tweezers or wear nitrill gloves and stand it on a silicone baking sheet. (Forget using parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.)
    8. It's a good idea to tap each boolit on the side of the container to remove the excess powder.
    9. Preheat your toaster oven to 425 degrees and then put the baking sheet with the boolits in the over for 25 minutes.
    10. Size the boolits after they are cool and enjoy the results of your efforts.

That system works great for me, but there are many other ways that work for others.
    Man that is alot of hand holding and steps per bullet/batch.... glad I gave up PC and do conventional lube sizing. faster.. less steps.. no lead in barrel....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Man that is alot of hand holding and steps per bullet/batch.... glad I gave up PC and do conventional lube sizing. faster.. less steps.. no lead in barrel....
    Some folks get anal about stuff. A good example are folks who deprime as a separate operation when loading pistol rounds on a progressive....or have to have clean primer pockets...or load .38's on a single stage...or...have to trickle charge every round...or...well it goes on and on.

PC'ing in bulk is fine for pistol bullets. No need to stand them up unless looks are important. Lot's of guys do it that way and are fine. But anal is anal and for some it matters.

But I am with you. Traditional lubes work for my needs, and nothing is faster than a Star. I have owned a Star for almost 50 years. But not everyone shoots enough or has the funds for a Star. PC has its place.... just not at my place. Still, IMO, a decent way for a new caster to get into the game. Too many people are doing it to dismiss it.

One size does not fit all.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I've been doin' it since 2013 and have not cleaned Pb out of any of my many barrels since.

I started out on here with a bunch of other fine people experimenting and developing the shake-n-bake technique. It has proven very successful for many users. I switched to using ESPC guns 3 years ago for better, more uniform coats without any of the quirks associated with a plastic tub and bbs . . . (refer to the VERY long step list above in post #8). ESPC is simply point and shoot with the electrostatic gun. Then bake. Perfect coats every time regardless of humidity or temp outside. And the guns allow me to coat many tools and other things impossible to shake in a tiny little tub.

Try it, practice it, and you should be quite happy with results. Very low entry cost to play with the process. Just do not bake in your kitchen oven!

Good luck and welcome to the world of powder coating.

Moderator Emeritus

PC is expensive and messy. I got burnt plastic fouling in my barrel. No thanks, I'll stick with traditional lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    PC is expensive and messy. I got burnt plastic fouling in my barrel. No thanks, I'll stick with traditional lube.

Traditional lube is messy, smoky and can also leave leading in barrel... SO glad I powder Coat.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    You are one of a few people that i have been hearing about that have seen pc residue in their barrel. Since regular lube and size yields no lead in my BBL... I just can't take the chance with pc. Tried it..way too much work for no better results than lubed lead.

Boolit Buddy
    t any rate, I will continue using my lube/sizer macine.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Traditional lube is messy, smoky and can also leave leading in barrel... SO glad I powder Coat.

CW
    Now CW, I am a fan of yours. Traditional lube doesn't leave leading in a barrel, hard alloy undersized boolits is the primary cause of that...and I know that you know that. The rest of what you said is true. All of what I said was true. Newbies who are looking for info, need to hear from both sides of the coin.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thing about using conventional lube is that if it works well, you know you have done everything right. I just started casting and loading 45-70 and so far it has gone very well. No leading and good 50 yd. accuracy with homemade lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure if mentioned, but if you go with PC, buy powder from Smokes. He is a vendor on this site and I have never seen a negative report of the powders he sells.
    Don Verna

It is not difficult to powder coat, it may involve a bit of trial and error. There are many who will share pointers if things aren't working for you.

All other casting rules still apply.

Powder coat is not a magic fix for undersize bullets, wrong lead hardness or barrel pitting.

You must still make sure the bullets are the correct size for the bore, that the lead hardness is suitable for the velocity, and if the barrel is pitted, you should stick to shooting full metal jacket because no coating will prevent leading of a pitted barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I think part of the answer on whether or not to PC depends on if you already have a lube-sizer and have found a recipe or commercial lube that works well for you. If you are all set up and experienced lubing, there less of a reason to try powder coating. However, for someone starting out, I think PCing can be easier and less expensive, especially if you find an oven at a thrift store.

When I started casting I would pan lube. I then started using Lee Liquid Alox and thought it was a lot easier. Then PC started to become popular and after I started using it, I was hooked. If I were to start shooting skinny boolits again, I would use LLA. I still lube a fair amount these days, especially for my BP rounds. Now I’m doing mostly 45 cal. shooting or muzzle loading.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    OP.........................isn't nice to have options.

This fight for and against PC has been here since day ONE and will continue forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast