RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Boolet in a 30-30 for target shooting

Heavy Boolet in a 30-30 for target shooting

Guys and ladies, I am mulling over the purchase of a nicely built Roller in 30-30, and know from my other single shot (32-40) that ranges over 200 lean towards a heavier round..What you say any of you used the 225-245 grainer in .30 cal?

I have a 30-30 rolling block carbine with 12 twist I think ? I tried some 208 gr. lead boolit that were given to me to try and they we’re unstable. Targets at 50 yards I didn’t notice odd shaped holes but at 100 yards they were definitely tumbling. I think for a 245 gr. You may need something like a 8 twist as your velocity will probably be under 1700 FPS at the muzzle. This is all a guess as I have not ever tried that heavy of bollit in any 30 cal. ?

Jedman

Check your twist rate.
    That will help determine what boolit weights it 'likes'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Good points all, I do not know the twist rate, but will attempt to find out. The hand loaded 32-40 loads that I make are all under 1700 fps, but that is more in the case of powder I am using which is 14 grains of 4227 pushing a 200 grain cast booklet. I am next going to breach seat some loads to see if I can fine tune its accuracy. I would be doing the same for the 30-30. In most of my years of loading, also, I have found that too low a velocity had often caused tumbling.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sam Fadla (sp?) wrote a book about using the .30-30 exclusively for a year. He did everything with it to the exclusion of all others. He discussed using heavy for caliber bullets in the .30-30. Sorry, it's been years but I remember it being a good read. Try and dig up a copy for a knowledgeable comment on heavies in the .30-30.

Boolit Grand Master

There is an article "Speaking Frankly" by Frank Marshall Jr. in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook 3rd edition page 91 where he discusses using the Lyman 311284 (210 grs.) successfully in .30-30.

If you don't have a copy here is a link to a PDF copy:

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

You might want to read through that. As mentioned, twist rate may be an issue but Frank Marshall used 1:12" so that should stabilize up to 210 gr. bullet.

Longbow

Well, I've got some more reading to do, but thats a good thing instead of buying the rifle, and not being happy with it.

Regards all, and Merry Christmas

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I found a copy of the book. Love it! Highly recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

The RCBS 180 fn is your friend in the 30-30. Mine weighed about 195 lubes and checked.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Sam Fadala, I think. Written many interesting articles over the years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The RCBS 180 fn is your friend in the 30-30. Mine weighed about 195 lubes and checked.
    I have access to this mold, I shoot it in a 1949 Marlin 336A. It weights 200 with check and lube. It is not unusual to do five shots under two inches at 100 yds, sometimes better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MotelAlpha View Post
    Well, I've got some more reading to do, but thats a good thing instead of buying the rifle, and not being happy with it.

Regards all, and Merry Christmas
    im assuming you are talking about the pedersoli rolling block?

Long ago I loaded some 220gr Sierra Matchkings for single shot use in my 30-30 Winchester 94. I was glad that I only loaded ten because they had trouble staying on a paper plate at 50 yards.....

Boolit Grand Master

The classic 311299 will do very nicely for longer range shooting in either a 10 or 12" twist out of a SS 30-30.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry: Could you recommend a good starting charge of leverevolution with the 311299 in 30-30? Obviously this would be for bolt action or single shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    This is my favorite in my 30-30 1925 25" barrel 94 Winchester. It has a 1 in 14 twist. My RCBS mold drops at 198gr. with my alloy. It won't shoot worth beans in my 14" Contender, it tumbles. I think the Contender has a 1 in 14 also, but I may be wrong on that. It has been a long time sense I have chronograph it but I think my loads were around 1800 FPS out of the Winchester. My first cast boolit deer was shot with that RCBS boolit.

Boolit Master

the rcbs 180 fn is your friend in the 30-30. Mine weighed about 195 lubes and checked.
    yes!!!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    The ASSRA shoot 200+ grainers pb at @ 13-1400 fps into bug holes at 200 yards breach seated.
    Have a scrounge around over there.
    I wish I could emulate some of the stuff they can do.

That squib bullet 308413? at moderate speed is supposed to be good to 5-600 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Larry: Could you recommend a good starting charge of leverevolution with the 311299 in 30-30? Obviously this would be for bolt action or single shot.
    Apologies for the late response.

Start at 34 gr and work up to 100% load density in 1/2 gr increments observing for any abnormal pressure while testing for accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry. I was thinking that 33.0 grains would be a good starting point, but you've got more experience with that powder. I'll work up at 0.5 grains at a time, but stay below any pressure signs. I haven't got this Mauser together yet, but since the topic was being discussed I asked for the load information anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast