Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: MP 540 powder?

Boolit Master

MP 540 powder?

I see it for sale in several places. They say it is good for heavy bullet 308 applications. Anyone tried it with cast boolits?

Boolit Mold
    DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ONLY WHAT WE HAVE FOUND. SO OTHER PEOPLE MAY HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS we picked up 32 pounds of it.
    Everything we have found is it is identical to VV N540. it is a versatile powder. we have compared it to VV N540, it looks identical.
    have been using it for 270 with 130 gr bullet using 49 grains.
    30-06 & 308, 243.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading.../?cartridge=30
    link to VV load data

BUT NO, I have not tried a cast bullet yet. if I have time I will post back here with info.

Boolit Master

Bought a jug right before they ran out. Seems to be right there with the traditional 308/30-06 powders in burn speed per the given loads) Loaded up a few 30-06 with the Lee 170 RNFP, 36 grains (64% case fill) with .7 gr dacron filler tucked into the case neck. Going to fire it in the bolt gun first, but hoping to get operating Garand and M1a loads out of it.

This is my first adventure into surplus powder…fingers crossed..

Boolit Master

Well, I didn’t blow myself up! 36 grains with Dacron ran right at my estimated 2100 fps, 3” group (100 yards) using air cooled 50/50 PC’d alloy and a wobbly rest. Switched to WD boolits and improved my rest and got a 2” vertically strung group. Only three shot groups, but the ES were inside 50 fps, so it appeared the powder didn’t mind being downloaded much. Decided to drop the dacron and bump the charge to 38 grains. Holy fireballs! Apparently this is not a flash suppressed powder. Velocity ran right at 2150 and returned a 1.5” group. Still needs more testing, but initially, it looks really good. Probably should have bought more, but 8 lbs should last me a while…