Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Skinner ladder type sight

Boolit Master

Skinner ladder type sight

3/8" dovetail. Looks well made. Seems made to order for 45-70 TD loads. Spendy at $160. http://www.skinnersights.com/ladder-sights.html

Boolit Master
    Been thinking about one for my
    1985 CB.

Sure would like to see some
    real use reviews!

Boolit Master
    Looks like they have a set screw in the middle of the dovetail to facilitate windage adjustment. That is a plus. I'm in the process of drifting the irons on my Henry single shot 45-70 ( front sight was a little off center). Hoping I can reliably hit a 6" gong at 50 yards then which would do for my whitetail hunting.

Boolit Master
    Skinner has a page on FB ("Leverguns and Skinner Sights" I think). Lots of happy customers over there. Based on the Skinners I own and the comments from everyone else, I'd feel safe buying one of those ladders.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one (still have the sight) on a Browning model 1886 in 45-70. Mine didn't have a set screw for the dovetail. It was purchased from Brownells 15 or so years ago. It is a well made piece of equipment.

Looks good. I've been using a couple of the Smith Enterprise ladders, might have to give the Skinner one a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Need to correct myself. The sight I have is a Smith Enterprise not a Skinner. Looked at the picture and said to myself Yeap, that's it only it wasn't.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Skinner Ladder sight mounted on a 38-55. The sight is high quality and solid. My complaint is not with the sight but my crappy eyesight! I'm thinking that I need to try a peep sight instead.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a trapdoor just look around for a buffington sight they are around. I've pick them up for 150- 200 bucks not to long ago , but these days who knows Rare ! hard to find ! COULD be off Custer rifle !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    I've got a Skinner Ladder sight mounted on a 38-55. The sight is high quality and solid. My complaint is not with the sight but my crappy eyesight! I'm thinking that I need to try a peep sight instead.
    Maybe a suggestion to Skinner could convince them to offer their ladder sight as a tang sight with a peep. My 74 year old eyes don't do well with open sights and beads but do fine with a peep.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I can only add that Skinner is pricey but what I got (guide type) was very nice stuff.

Boolit Master
    Of the 10 or so orders I have placed with Skinner everything has exceeded my expectaions about precise fabrication and ease of installation. They are all versions of peep sights that my old eyes need. GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    I can only add that Skinner is pricey but what I got (guide type) was very nice stuff.
    They are not cheap. But Ive wasted too much money on "more affordable" options.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    For a 45-70 carbine they should work nicely. You could have the ladder set for 200 yards and the the regular for 100.

Boolit Buddy
    It would be nice if they offered a peep disc for the ladder portion, similar to the rough and ready style rear sight. I've thought about talking to a machinist friend to look at mine and make me a peep disc. I have a rough and ready barrel sight from MVA on a rolling block, I tried it but the peep disc doesn't quite match up to the dimensions of the Skinner ladder.

Boolit Master
    Never tried a barrel mounted peep before. Must have a large aperture.

Boolit Master
    Skinner does make a barrel mounted peep sight. Maybe it would work as is. GF