RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Shipping Out of US

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Shipping Out of US

I’m trying to buy a one piece firing pin for my Marlin 1895. I am in France and so far no one wants to ship to me from the US or UK for that matter.

Where does the restriction of shipping gun related things start and end? I know fire arms are restricted and barrels. Is even a sling swivel restricted for export? Perhaps the sellers don’t want to get involved with overseas sales and say no to everything. A couple à years ago Midway refused to sell me a mould, even if I was having it sent to à US address, because my Visa card wasn’t from the US.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

The rules are buried withing the ITAR agreements.

There is little distinction between Military and Sporting use parts.

To make the issue more complex, try to read and understand the hundreds of pages of regulations.

Then, it is up to the reader to interpret the regulations. i.e. see if two people agree on the meaning of the clause in question.

Somewhere, buried within all of those pages is an exemption for parts that cost under $100.00 USD. Sadly, I cannot ferret it out.

To address your initial concern, have a pal in the USA buy the part and mail it to you in France.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Or try countries like Canada.

I can't buy a $10 front sight for my Winchester 1894 from USA... so I bought 64 F-35:s with $ 10 billion instead.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ce-2021-12-10/

Boolit Grand Master

If I can’t find someone to sell and send it to me, I’ll see if they will send it to my son in Alaska and have him send it to me. It still will be interesting to no more details on the regulations especially if there an exception for items under $100.

Boolit Master
    Or just ask a local gunshop with legal licenses paid to order the part for you.

Do you have Brownells in France by the way?

Boolit Buddy
    ITAR is a US regulation, officially it only applies to entities operating in the USA. I suspect the US government does apply some pressure to have other nations do similar things, and of course many gun companies are US based, so that parts may be subject to US controls even if they are being traded from UK to France.

An item is controlled if it is on the US Munitions List. ITAR may be hundreds of pages, but the USML is only a couple of pages.
    It used to be that any gun part was on the list, but changes started by Trump and just codified a few months ago drops the requirements for most firearms. Your sling swivel should be good to go, but finding vendors who actually keep up with the regs is the real problem. My experience is Brownells is the best at this, they employ somebody full time just to keep up with the rules.

Midway is a notable problem. They carried on business for a while selling many things internationally, apparently just because they weren't aware of the rules. Eventually they were busted and now refuse international sales, just to be cautious. You can't run afoul of the international trade rules if you don't trade internationally.

For the record, here is the firearms section of the US Munitions List as of August 27, 2021:

Category I - Firearms and Related Articles

* (a) Firearms using caseless ammunition.

* (b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber (12.7 mm) inclusive.

* (c) Firearms specially designed to integrate fire control, automatic tracking, or automatic firing (e.g., Precision Guided Firearms).

Note 1 to paragraph (c):

Integration does not include only attaching to the firearm or rail.

* (d) Fully automatic shotguns regardless of gauge.

* (e) Silencers, mufflers, and sound suppressors.

(f) [Reserved]

(g) Barrels, receivers (frames), bolts, bolt carriers, slides, or sears specially designed for the articles in paragraphs (a), (b), and (d) of this category.

(h) Parts, components, accessories, and attachments, as follows:

(1) Drum and other magazines for firearms to .50 caliber (12.7 mm) inclusive with a capacity greater than 50 rounds, regardless of jurisdiction of the firearm, and specially designed parts and components therefor;

(2) Parts and components specially designed for conversion of a semi-automatic firearm to a fully automatic firearm;

(3) Parts and components specially designed for defense articles described in paragraphs (c) and (e) of this category; or

(4) Accessories or attachments specially designed to automatically stabilize aim (other than gun rests) or for automatic targeting, and specially designed parts and components therefor.

(i) Technical data (see § 120.10 of this subchapter) and defense services (see § 120.9 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles described in this category and classified technical data directly related to items controlled in ECCNs 0A501, 0B501, 0D501, and 0E501 and defense services using the classified technical data. (See § 125.4 of this subchapter for exemptions.)

(j)-(w) [Reserved]

(x) Commodities, software, and technology subject to the EAR (see § 120.42 of this subchapter) used in or with defense articles.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Or just ask a local gunshop with legal licenses paid to order the part for you.

Do you have Brownells in France by the way?
    Brownells doesn’t stock it here in France.

Boolit Master
    Have Your son purchase it For You . have your son Mark it machine or Tool Part.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Greg, how about from other parts of Europe? Bad luck about Brexit. I recall seeing something about a "Western Action" supplier in Germany.

Edit:

https://www.theduke.de/en/produkt/gu...n-kit-springs/

Another edit:

These people have been good for International shipping - though no mention of Marlin firing pins

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/inde...e=shippinginfo
    Last edited by Wilderness; 12-14-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like the German site may work.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I ordered from the German site. It was funny because they wouldn’t except credit/debit cards or PayPal, only COD. I didn’t think people still sent things COD.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Have Your son purchase it For You . have your son Mark it machine or Tool Part.
    Bingo ! We Have a Winner .

My wife works in a private mail center , they rent boxes to people who have no street address , or have trouble with mail staying in their home mail box or to people who don't want things delivered to their house ... and other reasons and they do packing and shipping . A lot of shipping is overseas ...bring in a properly wrapped package , tell my wife it's a machine part or tool and she will ship it .
    If you want to ship something ... go to a private business that does shipping and discretely ask how to package and lable ...what to do / not do and what to say/not say ... your asking "for a friend" come back later with the package , properly packed and labled and mail the tool .
    Note ... things have to be a certain size and packaged a cetain way for the carrier to take it ... and don't insure it for some ungodly amount of money ...that sends up a red flag too .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I ship my Hand Presses all over the world and have never had an issue. Just received a MP Mould from Slovenia in 6 days and it was held in France for two of those days.

I think American Companies that won't ship Internationally just don't want to fill out the shipping labels. It's pretty hard and takes my wife an extra 5 minutes to fill one out! Go figure.

Don't feel bad, lots of people in the US won't ship to California either.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Australia is just as stupid. I had some reloading dies made from a sample brass case that I sent to the USA. They returned the loading dies together with my empty brass case. Border Force sent me a nasty letter, " You have attempted to import a prohibited item to whit one brass shell casing".

All sorted, they can keep and destroy the empty shell casing, but the tools which will allow me to make thousands of rounds are OK!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!