Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: steel buckshot mould?

Boolit Master

steel buckshot mould?

does anyone make a steel buckshot mould? I dont own any Lee moulds and im really not wanting to buy the buckshot mould from them and have to cut them into usuable shot.

Boolit Grand Master

No, I have never seen a steel buckshot mold. You can find single round ball molds here and there. Most today, and all multi-cavity/buckshot molds are aluminum or brass.

You should try the Lee buckshot molds before you write them off. I like cutting them apart better than the alternative. If you really don't want to, Lee makes multiple sizes of molds that you don't have to do anything but cut the sprue during casting. The most well known is their 6 cavity .310" (#1 buck) mold. They also have a 2 cavity molds in .319" (0 buck), .350" and .360" (000 buck), and larger. You can even get 6 cavity .375" and .380" (0000 buck) molds.

My only problem with the Lee 3-deep buckshot molds was getting all 3 rows to fill completely, consistently. When you get going, they are like greased lightning, and you rap out a whole pot of buckshot in no time. Cutting them apart is easy, easier than spending way more time with 6 cavity molds.

My favorites are the Marty arms or the older Sharpshooter molds, as they cast really easily, but they have a ton of cavities. They have to be cut like the Lee molds, but I can make way more buckshot faster with them than any other method.

Boolit Man
    This past week I have been using the Lee #4 buck, and Sharp Shooter in #1 buck, F Buck, and T shot. I have a new #4 Sharpshooter if anyone needs one, and they are easier than the Lee molds, I just have too many #4 Buck molds.

Boolit Master
    Mihec sells 3 different 8 cavity buckshot molds, no cutting apart pieces. I like the .310 model I bought. All aluminum though not steel

Boolit Man
    Barnabus, with the right tool, cutting the sprew from the buckshot is a non issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ackleyman View Post
    Barnabus, with the right tool, cutting the sprew from the buckshot is a non issue.
    i ended up buying a martys mould in 4 buckshot. just couldnt buy a lee after bad reviews on not getting fill out on all cavities.

Boolit Master

I have a 4 cavity Lyman 00 buckshot mold I bought from a member here that I have not tried yet but it looks like it will work well!

Saeco makes 4 cavity .360" (000 buck).