Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a 45?

Why yes, yes you need to acquire one! Having fun with GPR .54 capper, my .54 TVM Tennessee Basic Flinter is almost 3 months late and counting, right after I get it and make sure it's sorted a .45 Flinter is on the menu. Have high hopes on the TVM .......

Boolit Master
    What are you going to do with it? If hunting what are the state regulations. Then pick.

If you like what you have, keep using it. If not, then buy something new

I would rather have a fast twist .45 sidelock, but, they were a bit more difficult to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Everyone needs another gun. Especially if it’s a muzzle loader.

Boolit Master
    If you want one ready to shoot and win a world championship then buy a Pedersoli Gibbs in 45 caliber. I would suggest buying their drop tube and also their bullet mold. I got mine about 4 years ago and it took me several years to find a used one which I bought from a young fellow in Texas.
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    If you want one ready to shoot and win a world championship then buy a Pedersoli Gibbs in 45 caliber. I would suggest buying their drop tube and also their bullet mold. I got mine about 4 years ago and it took me several years to find a used one which I bought from a young fellow in Texas.
    John
    Could someone explain how a drop tube benefits a muzzleloader? I mean - if you pour the powder in from the muzzle, you pretty much have a drop tube built in.

Banned

Everyone should have a 45! To quote Elmer Keith…….A heavy chunk of lead where it will do the most good!

Boolit Master
    I use the drop tube/funnel combo that Pedersoli sells and mainly it keeps any powder going down the barrel off the sides. When shooting a grease groove bullet it is good not to get any powder that the bullet can run into. This rifle uses a bore diameter bullet with a fiber wad under it so it shoots best with a clean bore. My mentor suggested I use one so initially I made one and there was one that came with the rifle when I bought it. I also wipe between each shot, one damp patch then a dry one used on both sides to dry the bore.
    John

Boolit Buddy

Long range?

Boolit Buddy

1,200 yds with paper patched .50 caliber conical bullet from T/C Renegade rifle with Rice drop in barrel.

You don’t need one, you need as many as you can get! It’s my favorite across the board.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun Symphony View Post
    1,200 yds with paper patched .50 caliber conical bullet from T/C Renegade rifle with Rice drop in barrel.
    Very impressive. And you did that without a free floating barrel, Blackhord powder, or a plastic sabot. I guess I'll just try to tweak what I have until I can find something that works.

Boolit Master
    PART of this response is "analysis" and the rest is inquiry/data gathering for my own purposes, since I know next to nothing about black powder firearms:
    1.) You have a .50 caliber rifle, which (I assume) is a VERY effective meat-gatherer on its own. Would a .45 caliber rifle gain you any advantage (flatter trajectory, longer usable range, less recoil, slower powder consumption, better accuracy, easier to carry, etc)?
    2.) Would the smaller bore enable you to engage other game, not well attempted with the .50 caliber rifle (perhaps rabbits, squirrel, peccary, etc. with less meat destruction) that could not be attempted by the use of sabots?
    3.) Is there high interchangeability of components (primers & powder, though obviously not projectiles) and rifle parts between the two? In a (relatively) civilized world, this consideration seems less important, but it certainly CAN BECOME a factor is things decline more than they have at present.

GENERALLY, I don't see anything sporting or humane about trying the taking of any game with the smallest firearm possible, but the jump down from .50 caliber to .45 isn't much. Additionally, if a shooter shoots the smaller-bore rifle better, especially under time pressure, then the likelihood of taking game humanely and efficiently is actually enhanced.
    I should also point out that I've shot muzzle-loaders a grand total of ~200 times in my life (though enjoyed it immensely), so there may be a great deal of the esoterica of this shooting art that I simply don't "get", that others do. But this is the analysis that I would use in the decision process. I would ALSO be willing to let all that careful analysis be untimely "trumped" by the "I just WANT one!" motivation, and smile approvingly at the outcome, no matter what.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen where 40s and 45s are selling more. They are less common, especially 40s and usually need to be custom ordered. The only advantage I see to them are less lead and powder. Not knocking either because all calibers are useful and have their purpose. 50s have allot more options but it's always nice to have other calibers as an option to shot. I started with 45 but wanted bigger for hunting the larger game like elk and moose. After awhile went to 32 for economy and then went up to 36 to shoot economy with a little more umph. And in there somewheres I picked up a 54. Not because I wanted yet another caliber but seen a T/C Scout and a good price and I always wanted one.
    Aim small, miss small!

If you insist on using the word 'need'....

I figure not only do you need it, but the very future of Western civilization,
    and your survival depends on you getting it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Maybe I'm buying into the hype. It looks like CVA is trying to get more speed and energy for longer range hunting. I don't really need it. In the woods where I hunt I'm realistically shooting at 75 yards or less.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Very impressive. And you did that without a free floating barrel, Blackhord powder, or a plastic sabot. I guess I'll just try to tweak what I have until I can find something that works.
    That was Idaho Lewis, not me.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I haven't seen where 40s and 45s are selling more. They are less common, especially 40s and usually need to be custom ordered. The only advantage I see to them are less lead and powder. Not knocking either because all calibers are useful and have their purpose. 50s have allot more options but it's always nice to have other calibers as an option to shot. I started with 45 but wanted bigger for hunting the larger game like elk and moose. After awhile went to 32 for economy and then went up to 36 to shoot economy with a little more umph. And in there somewheres I picked up a 54. Not because I wanted yet another caliber but seen a T/C Scout and a good price and I always wanted one.
    In these times of inflation and shortages, the smaller calibers make sense for the reasons of economy as you have noted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    Could someone explain how a drop tube benefits a muzzleloader? I mean - if you pour the powder in from the muzzle, you pretty much have a drop tube built in.
    My 34 inch tube enables me to get 84 grains in a 45/70 case with a vibrating (old electric shaver) which otherwise is maxed out at 78 grains shooting 530 gr PP Shoot long and you know the difference!/Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun Symphony View Post
    In these times of inflation and shortages, the smaller calibers make sense for the reasons of economy as you have noted.
    You don't need more than 45 (my paper patch ) weights 530 grains and usually gets there faster /farther with less drop than what your talking about .And the boolit isn't the cost ,it's the primer and the powder ,if that's important try golfing /Ed

I've had a TC New Englander refit for off the shelf 45-70 molds since about 2009 or so, .458 bore / .470 groove.
    You can shoot the 45-70 molds lubed. Or if you want to paper patch them and run them through a sizer you can do that too.
    You can even paper patch hollow based .45 minies, Keith SWC's and .45 Colt round noses when the accuracy of the 45-70 molds becomes monotonous.
    The TC barrel length was maintained so it's about like shooting a 45-90 with a 26" barrel. Got another spare left hand barrel so it might become 32". My new glasses are to arrive this week so I'm waiting to see which way to go.

And yes, everyone needs a .45.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast