Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I need a 45?

Boolit Master
    This might be a good way to try a 45 cal for woods hunting distances. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml

Boolit Buddy

That primers and caps are hard to find and expensive, consider purchasing a flintlock longrifle for reasons of self sustainability. Remember that you can't afford cheap when buying flintlocks. Buy once, cry once as they say.

The public libraries are free and you can check out books on knapping flint. There are also YouTube videos.

Boolit Master
    I have examined many old half stock plains rifles that were used in Texas and a large proportion are around .38-.42 cal. A local historian told me that people were cost-conscious (cheap?) and liked the smaller sizes because the lead went further, and anything deer sized or smaller did not require a larger caliber. He maintained that some of the rifles around .50 cal had started life as smaller bores and were bored larger at a later time. The larger calibers were not really necessary until people ran into larger animals as they moved westward. Of course, that is just one man's opinion - but it sounded logical to me.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I have examined many old half stock plains rifles that were used in Texas and a large proportion are around .38-.42 cal. A local historian told me that people were cost-conscious (cheap?) and liked the smaller sizes because the lead went further, and anything deer sized or smaller did not require a larger caliber. He maintained that some of the rifles around .50 cal had started life as smaller bores and were bored larger at a later time. The larger calibers were not really necessary until people ran into larger animals as they moved westward. Of course, that is just one man's opinion - but it sounded logical to me.
    He is right about settlers being frugal as they did not have alot of money. Most farmers were only hunting small to medium game. Well that and eliminating pests.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123