RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62 X 39 SKS NOE 160gr FNGC

Boolit Master

A case full (28 grs.) of Accurate 2230, 2460, or H335 gives around 2000 fps in the 7.62x39. (This is a quote from a member here. Forget which one, sorry.)
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    I have long since forgotten which member posted this, but I tried it and found it to be a good load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ 527 Load H322.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	293252

Boolit Bub
    Using a Lee 155 grain pc gas checked with 24 and a half grains of aa2460 loaded to 2.2oal. I didn't Chrono but functioned a Chinese SKS with acceptable accuracy. In an AK it proved to be to light for 100 percent reliability. My next test will be with 25 grains. Good luck from a fellow CNC man.

i have good accuracy with 23gn of a1680 behind a lee 160 cast straight out of the mold in a howa mini burns all the powder and shoots 1-1.5 in @100yds seems to work well on gophers and frozen cow flop
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Boolit Buddy
    Just shot the rounds I had loaded prior to posting, 23.5gr of H4198, NOE 160, WLR. Still shooting at 50 yards because that's where I wound up when trying to get my rifle to stay on the paper for four shots. Group size was a yawner; 2.340" but, it is better mil spec and mil spec that was broken down to even things up. First two shots touched, #3 up and inch, #4 down an inch, dang. Loaded rounds one at a time. Empties landed in a neat pile about two feet to the right which is a big improvement. Plus, the brass looks like new! 23.5gr might be too stiff from what some of you have said worked for you. I'll start lower later, first I want to try RL-7; the only other powder I have on hand that seems to have a following in the SKS with heavy boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Just finished a Hail Mary comparison of the three powders I have on hand that could be considered more than less than appropriate for the 7.62X39 in the SKS. Used 50 yards - less walking until finding something that shoots well enough to justify walking 100 yards. First was 23.5 of H4198, four shots 2.340" w/vertical stringing. Action cycled, brass fell right next to the bench. Next 21.5 of IMR3031, four in 1.600", last shot dropped an inch. Action did not cycle. Last was 23.5 of RL7, four in 2.71" that looked like a shot gun pattern. Action cycled, brass was anywhere from on the bench to a couple feet away. Bears repeating that my gas block is restricted down to .070".

3031, recoil felt soft and the primers look the part of low pressure.

Certainly not a scientific approach. I wanted to see if any of the powders I have on the shelf shot well enough to be worth pursuing before spending the bucks on others that could very well end up collecting dust. Loads selected were ballpark averages of three or more different sources for each powder that were close in weight.

The best previous was mil-spec that had been disassembled, powder and neck tension evened-up @ 2.360"

Not an SKS, but in an AR15 7.62x39 that I assembled; 25grs of 3031 behind a Lee C309150F(average 162 grs acww/PC'd) was quite accurate and functioned perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Is the powder compressed at 25gr? The three loads I have made note of are 20.0, 21.5 and 25. 21.5 was pretty close to the neck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12