RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 X 39 SKS NOE 160gr FNGC

Boolit Buddy

7.62 X 39 SKS NOE 160gr FNGC

Have a new NOE 160 grain gas check boolit mold, Al called it a bore rider. Using new Starline brass, WLR primers. I have on hand H4198, RL7 and IMR3031. Found a H4198 load from a reliable source and would like to also find proven, safe loads for RL7 and IMR 3031 as well. Looking for 2000ft/sec. in the SKS.

I have that mold and had to go to a little slower powder to get reliable cycling on a couple different semi autos that I have tried it in. I haven’t tried 3031 but the burn rate looks in the ballpark for success if you can find a published load to start with. I have a good load I like with Western X-Terminator which is only slightly slower than 3031
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Since posting I've run across complaints that 3031 is dirty leaving powder behind that winds up in the action. Plus comments that enough powder to cause problems won't fit in the case with 3031 and a heavy boolit. Regarding cycling, you didn't say, but was it on an SKS? Currently my SKS gas block is down to .070" and with mil-spec ammo and that is still too big.

Boolit Buddy
    Everytime someone mentions lead bullets in the SKS it makes my think of Junior, such a good man. He did an excellent write up on SKS’s and cast bullets and everything in the suck, I’m not a fan of the modified rifle but I didn’t pay for it. Make sure to go through his whole website so it’s not lost in time

http://castbullet.com/shooting/sks4.htm

Boolit Grand Master

"would like to also find proven, safe loads for RL7 and IMR 3031 as well. Looking for 2000ft/sec. in the SKS."

I use H4895 with the Lee C312-155 in the 7.62x39 cartridge in my Mini MkX and Russian SKS. Thus, I suggest RL7 to use. Start at 18 gr and work up to 20.5 gr. [from Lyman CBH #4 with RL7 for your cast bullet]. Your goal of 2000 fps is a bit much for that weight of bullet in the SKS system. 1800 - 1850 is a "proven, safe" velocity level for your cast bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

It's amazing how many people can't grasp the concept of velocity, especially if they have nothing to visualize for comparison. 1800fps is 6 football fields in 1 second! There isn't an animal alive that will outrun an 1800fps bullet! Shot placement is the ultimate goal, particularly while hunting.

FWIW.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    Bloodman, when you can't find exactly what you're lookin' for you sometimes have to settle for what you can find until acquiring first hand experience.... Outside of forums, below is the only reference I've found using on-hand powders and primers. 2k seemed within reach. Whether fact or fiction, see the 150gr loads. My NOE's check in at 155.

I'll one-up your FWIW - I see nothing constructive with you finding fault with others mental capacity for understanding what you evidently consider abstract thought.

Back in my working days I've been known to program and make parts on two and three axis CNC machines from drawings, doing any requisite trig on a hand-held calculator - no CAD.

https://www.powderthrough.com/data/caliber/762x39mm/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    Bloodman, when you can't find exactly what you're lookin' for you sometimes have to settle for what you can find until acquiring first hand experience.... Outside of forums, below is the only reference I've found using on-hand powders and primers. 2k seemed within reach. Whether fact or fiction, see the 150gr loads. My NOE's check in at 155.

https://www.powderthrough.com/data/caliber/762x39mm/
    The problem with Hodgdon's sight is they do not give the barrel length of the test barrel. Additionally, unless the gas system is modified, the SKS with 150 gr jacketed bullets and H4895 at 100% load density will sling the cases far and wide. H4895 in Winchester or IMI cases is a slightly compressed load when Sierra, Hornady or Speer 150 gr .311/.312 bullets are seated to mag length for the SKS and runs just over 1900 fps in the 20" barrel of an SKS. A compressed load of 28 gr will run 1975 fps +/- out of a 20" barreled SKS.

With my C312-155 (158 gr fully dressed cast of COWW + 2% tin) over 27 gr of H4894 runs 1875 fps. I have modified the gas tube of my SKS so the brass is not so violently ejected and mangled. I can find most of it.......

The above velocities are based on actual shooting, testing and chronographing the loads in several SKSs. Those velocities are not from reading data on the internet. Hodgdon's data is certainly a good reference, but the velocities listed are, shall we say, somewhat optimistic especially not knowing the barrel length of the barrels used to obtain those velocities.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-17-2021 at 10:26 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I certainly did not mean to sound insulting, and I sincerely apologize. I have noticed that people wish to attain the highest velocity possible with their gun, when velocity is neither needed or, in most cases, accurate. Giving the football field reference was meant to give a visual metric of distance over time. I am sorry if I offended.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    I went with a gas block restrictor, currently @ .070", sounds like you drilled holes in the tube?. 070" is still too large for mil-spec. Had to wait from May until near November's end to gather all the bits to enable trying a dedicated, heavy for SKS lead bullet. While waiting the action was bedded, trigger worked over, barrel lapped (and lapped again), shortened the gas rod just enough to remove preload with no end play, added a rear action hold down screw and a Murray firing pin. The biggest improvement was finally coming up with a way of making the scope mount solid. First boolits cast were definitely not things of beauty but served to make dummy rounds to bench check feeding and get dies and lube/sizer set up. New electric bottom pour pot arrived Tuesday this week, the old cast iron pot retired to other duties.

Don't have H4895, I'm gonna try what I have on hand before springing for a pound, assuming I can find some. Thanks for sharing your load. I have an Oehler chronograph from back in '90's during my IPSC days. If I find something that shoots decent I'll drag it out and see if it still works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    I certainly did not mean to sound insulting, and I sincerely apologize. I have noticed that people wish to attain the highest velocity possible with their gun, when velocity is neither needed or, in most cases, accurate. Giving the football field reference was meant to give a visual metric of distance over time. I am sorry if I offended.
    No need. I was in a foul mood. Not a good excuse for ranting, sorry for venting at your expense. I'd just returned from the bank telling me the seven day hold on the bank check deposited last week to pay off my home mortgage... was really an eight day hold. And, the pay-off was going to be $7-something more for the extra day than what they had quoted me last week. Right.

Boolit Master

No sweat, buddy. Try using 1.4 to 1.7 cc's of LeveRevolution with a NOE 316299, GC'd and seated to the top of the top driving band. Based on Junior1942's work which was followed up by Mr. Gibson. I don't have a chrono but they are accurate in my Yugo SKS.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

I'm finding this interesting discussion. Looking to work up a load for Lee GC 312-160 and 4198. Will PC those bullets as lube. I may well eventually move to an NOE or other more premium mold which is why this thread caught my eye.

Have used 4895 for some other loads so also have a bit of that on hand. Seems like that may be of use for this which is another option I now know to look into.

Goal is the round cycles and is accurate enough for plinking out to say 200 yards. I might try at 400 yard range but only if no one is looking. SKS is fun but not the rifle for longer ranges or hunting in my use cases. Velocity sufficient to provide accuracy is all that is required, if it drops the brass in the same zip code as the rifle that is an appreciated bonus.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I have looked for Junior's thread concerning his work with heavies in the SKS, to no avail. If it could be found, I would love to nominate it for a 'sticky'.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    No sweat, buddy. Try using 1.4 to 1.7 cc's of LeveRevolution with a NOE 316299, GC'd and seated to the top of the top driving band. Based on Junior1942's work which was followed up by Mr. Gibson. I don't have a chrono but they are accurate in my Yugo SKS.
    I've seen reference to measuring powder by volume in CC's only once before... maybe I stumbled on Junior's work while trolling the internet? I was looking for loads for this project... Regardless, I have to ask - what manner of contrivance does one use to measure smokeless gunpowder in CC's? I have a 100cc burette but you ain't gonna measure powder with it. One could make a powder measure to match a particular volume of water but measuring by weight sounds easier!

Boolit Buddy
    Ahh of course, Lee. Alas, LeverRevolutuion isn't on Lee's conversion to grains list. But they do have a set of volume powder measures for a measly $14. Freight'd likely run $20 though...

Looks like rain, need to get busy and mount-up the skidding winch and move firewood before things get muddy.

https://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html

Boolit Grand Master

In the diminutive 7.62x39 case LeveRevolution does not burn well/efficiently nor perform well under 180 gr or less cast bullets. The heavier 200 gr bullet will but the OP's 160 gr won't. H4895 or RL7 are the best choices for that weight cast bullet in that cartridge in the SKS if the OP wants the higher end velocities.

It takes bullet mass (weight) for LeveRevolution to burn like it is supposed to to get the performance it is made to give. A 160 gr cast bullet just doesn't have it.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I load 7.62x39 for my SKS and for a pair of converted Mauser small rings. In the SKS I usually shoot the Lee 155 grain, gas checked & powder coated, on top of 19.0 grains of IMR-4198. On a good day this will print a 3.5" group at 100 yards (which I consider astonishingly accurate for a SKS). But for the bolt actions my favorite load is the RCBS 30-165-Sil over 28.5 grains of BLC-2. I've found that it's almost impossible to get enough BLC-2 into a 7.62x39 case to get too much pressure. I don't have a chronograph but I'd estimate that 30.5 grains would be pushing that boolit at around 2000 fps. (I don't need to go that fast because accuracy is more important than velocity) Magnum primers are usually recommended for ball powders like this but I've found that with the small case volume and near to 100% case fill, I can use regular primers without any issues. I'm just putting it out there that BLC-2 is also a good powder for 7.62x39.

Boolit Master

Mr. Gibson and 405 are correct; use 4198 or Reloder 7 for the 155's and 160's. I will look up my load data and advise further.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master

The burn rate chart I have shows LR to be below BL-C(2) and above H380. Personally, I think that LR is repackaged R12, but that's just me.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast